Perfect game unattainable due to backer achievement?

CyverViking

Question

Won't play a game where some achievements are  only available to the  "little circle of buddies", this stinks. I don't mind about ingame bonuses, but achievements should potentially be fullfilable by everyone.

I never heard about this game before it's release, and now I regret I lost time purchasing/installing it. The feeling of segregation just makes it unpleasant.

You guys can pat yourself on the shoulder with your unique achievement, I'm sure I won't be the only customer turning his back on Obsidian games from now on.

Really? Like..seriously? Your whining because you don't have the special tag saying you spent money on the kickstarter...because you didn't spend money on the kickstarter, but what the ****ing tag anyway?

Do people actually listen when you demand special treatment for nothing? Like...how often does that actually work?

• Like 10

If you are buying and playing games to get little icons to light up on your Steam profile...

Well, I have to stop that sentence there or I'll risk a ban.

Yes.

I backed and don't care about achievements. If I could I'd happily give the dude mine, since it completely doesn't matter to me.

• Like 1

--

Pretend everything I just said was brilliant.

Now stop pretending you have to pretend.

Well once you've completed the game on and got the Triple Crown Solo achievement feel free to come back here and raise this again. However until you've done that there is at one major and near impossible achievement before you need to worry about the kick starter achievement.

• Like 1

I don't have particular interest in achievements, but the obvious concept behind them is attaining them - so making an achievement unattainable is illogical.

And if a task was fulfilled before its assignment existed, nothing was really achieved.

The kickstarter achievement is not an achievement, but rather a badge. Therefore, it should not be listed as an achievement in the game.

For the people who care about achievements and who are not backers, listing the kickstarter support badge as an achievement undermines and defeats the point of having achievements in Pillars of Eternity.

I advise changing the kickstarter achievement to some other designation.

I have to say that this does indeed matter to me as well. I would have loved to kickstart this game. I saw it really early on but was broke when it was being kickstarted cuz of two new babies. I did preorder it before it came out. It's disappointing now to know that it is one achievement which prevents me from completing all the achievements.

It's not a kickstarter problem. It's an achievement thing in general. I fought on TOME's boards for awhile for the same reason. The achievements were uncompletable. For anyone who doesn't know, that is currently the game on steam with the highest number of achievements.

Like they said, there's an easy to use program that's been around forever that lets you get as many (or even remove) achievements as you want. Use it just for that single achievement if you want or for all of them and lie about it - no one cares. 

People mostly use it to have an easy way to idle on multiple games and farm card drops.

It shouldn't be possible to have achievements that can not be attained after a given time. This kind of achievements are misconception and should be fixed. On the other hand I don't think this fix is important and as @aeonsim pointet out, for the wrong reasons, it takes time to collect all the other achievements.

Well once you've completed the game on and got the Triple Crown Solo achievement feel free to come back here and raise this again.

I find this kind of argument troubling. It's legitimate to discuss an Act 4 bug even when being in Act 1. That puts pressure to devs and you will hopefully get the bug fixed till you are in Act 4. The way this solution sounds is "go away, we don't want you here".

If you are buying and playing games to get little icons to light up on your Steam profile...Well, I have to stop that sentence there or I'll risk a ban.

Insead of risking a ban you could read about design of gambling machines, gamification, steam cards, nudging or free-to-play shop business models. Achievements are not simple icons without any impact or meaning.

Do people actually listen when you demand special treatment for nothing?

People see problems and demand solutions. What's wrong in giving such feedback? Feedback does not imply a return service first.

IMHO bugs and misconceptions have nothing to do with "special treatment".

• Like 2

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

LOL

WTF dude you stole my comment.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

If you are buying and playing games to get little icons to light up on your Steam profile...Well, I have to stop that sentence there or I'll risk a ban.

Insead of risking a ban you could read about design of gambling machines, gamification, steam cards, nudging or free-to-play shop business models. Achievements are not simple icons without any impact or meaning.

Everything you just said there disgusts me.  (The concepts, not that you said them.  This isn't an attack on you.)

I don't mind Steam as a game distribution platform, but Steam as a metagame is repulsive to me.

If someone wants to buy into the Steam metagame, and enjoys it, then all the better for them.  I just don't have any sympathy for people not being able to get some particular achievement, whether that desire is due to obsessiveness, compulsion, or the demands of some metagame that Steam has crafted to boost game sales.

I will agree with what others have said in this thread about how creating an achievement that cannot potentially be attained by everyone eventually is a bad design decision.  At the same time, it is also a valuable life lesson, in that it demonstrates that life is unfair and perfection is impossible.

• Like 2

The point of saying, "Come back after you get the Triple Crown Solo Achievement" is that it is as close to impossible as an achievement can get. 

You will not be getting all the achievements, not because you did not Kickstart, but because you will not complete the game Solo + Trial of Iron + Expert + Path of the Damned.

Therefore, get over it now and stop wasting your time complaining about something irrelevant.

It shouldn't be possible to have achievements that can not be attained after a given time. This kind of achievements are misconception and should be fixed. On the other hand I don't think this fix is important and as @aeonsim pointet out, for the wrong reasons, it takes time to collect all the other achievements.

Well once you've completed the game on and got the Triple Crown Solo achievement feel free to come back here and raise this again.

I find this kind of argument troubling. It's legitimate to discuss an Act 4 bug even when being in Act 1. That puts pressure to devs and you will hopefully get the bug fixed till you are in Act 4. The way this solution sounds is "go away, we don't want you here".

Do people actually listen when you demand special treatment for nothing?

People see problems and demand solutions. What's wrong in giving such feedback? Feedback does not imply a return service first.

IMHO bugs and misconceptions have nothing to do with "special treatment".

You're not talking about a bug or a misconception. You are wining because you don't have the achievement for funding the game, because you didn't fund the game. There's no bug and there's no misunderstanding. You're just pissy because other people have it and you don't, ignoring the fact that the reason you don't have it is because you didn't do the thing required to get it.

• Like 2

This is why other companies, such as Blizzard, for example, label such things "Feats" or some other moniker, but they do not put them in the same class as achievements.  

Achievements are earned for doing something in game-play, not for giving the devs funding.  However, Steam has no such labels or Feats, so Obsidian went with an achievement, as nonsensical as that was.

Having an unattainable achievement is silly, and it's probably mostly there to track Backer v Sold copies.

Steam should make these kinds of achievements hidden or disabled for people who can't get them.

And yes, saying the game is ruined because of one Steam achievement is insane.

• Like 2

Being a "Backer" should not have been an achievement in the first place.

Why not have an achievement for simply purchasing the game?  Hey, you bought the game and didn't DL the torrent, good for you.. achievement GET!!

Achievements should directly reflect IN GAME progress, not RL progress.

You're not talking about a bug or a misconception. You are wining because you don't have the achievement for funding the game, because you didn't fund the game. There's no bug and there's no misunderstanding. You're just pissy because other people have it and you don't, ignoring the fact that the reason you don't have it is because you didn't do the thing required to get it.

The unpredictable thing required to get it.

I really don't much care about achievements personally, but if this is important to some people and the devs want to take this achievement out, that wouldn't bother me either.

Why have achievements at all? None of them give you any gain in the game, just some little caveat, a feather in the cap. I'm glad I'm not running it thru Steaming Pile so I don't have to even see any of that, but if they want to throw some little bone to the ones that actually helped this game get made in the first place? Good on them. Whinging and whining about some little "achievement" strikes me as juvenile. Even worse that it's a single player game: if it were multiplayer, at least you could argue that "My friends could see how uber I am 'cause I got all the achievements!!", but it's a single player game. It's a computerized masturbation. And just like that, it should be "celebrated" in private. 

@Katarack21: Never got a chance to "do the right thing to get it" ?  For all those who never heard of this game before, it was an unpleasant  "fait accompli".

@Emptiness: and who are you exactly to judge what's a normal way to play a game and what isn't? Some players enjoy working towards 100% achievements completion, so what? Others like to rush a game to the end. So what? Your comment is vain and matches your name perfectly.

Everything you just said there disgusts me.  (The concepts, not that you said them.  This isn't an attack on you.)

I don't mind Steam as a game distribution platform, but Steam as a metagame is repulsive to me.

I will agree with what others have said in this thread about how creating an achievement that cannot potentially be attained by everyone eventually is a bad design decision.  At the same time, it is also a valuable life lesson, in that it demonstrates that life is unfair and perfection is impossible.

I am with you. Most of the patterns used in such matters are undesirable for the player and used to maximize their game time or their loss, frequently destroying the non-metagame fun.

I find your last sentense inspirational as it not only reproduces real life but also the world of Eternity we are all playing.

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

the obvious concept behind them is attaining them - so making an achievement unattainable is illogical.

It was attainable. It isn't anymore. This is not the same as being unattainable. Evidence: people have attained it.

People dislike not receiving credit for something they did not do at the time? Sorry guys. Hate to break it to you, but sometimes you miss out on opportunities. Not really worth stressing over, but I can't stop you.

• Like 2

--

Pretend everything I just said was brilliant.

Now stop pretending you have to pretend.