Hard mode is too easy.

Does the game even have spammable s

Yeah I'd really like to switch my game to PotD at this point.  Not really sure why they decided to make it unchangeable during play.  Can anyone confirm IEmod will do the job?

EDIT: Ninja'd!  But sounds like that's what I need!

EDIT2: So tried it and it definitely seems to be helping.  My guys are getting hurt again and I actually have to use tactics, woohoo!

I can't get this to activate in my game.

what did you do to get it to work?

The IE mod does it apparently. I got to check if GoG has the patch and the hotfix yet then try this myself.

It is a console command which allows you to do it. They have a list of them on their web page.

Edited by Hatred

uh, dude, I was the one who posted that command, from the author's page and mentioned it.

I also spelled out that I cannot get it to work in the console window, even with IEmod installed, which actually, it shouldn't even need to be since that console command is not listed as requiring IEmod to run.

so, either it only works with the latest version (no, I am not going to upgrade my game to 1.03; I never use first release patches, they typically break more things than they fix), or something else is going on.

this is why I asked for the person who said they got it working, what they did to do so, because it doesn't appear to even be recognized as a command in the console.

nope.  already using the version of IEmod for the unpatched version of the game.

the console does not recognize this command, at all.

I'm guessing this is something they added in version 1.03, but you'd think they would make mention of that somewhere.

ah well, guess I will either have to manually dump stats to artificially gimp my characters, or run with a smaller crew.

Oh doh, my priest can no longer set multiple seal traps ... I cant figure out how to beat the lighthouse now ....

That should mean an hour or two of fun trying to win.

aha ... I haz an obsidian lamp ... rub de rub rub.

Edited by Mungri

Or you know ... fix the broken xp you get from side content and put the levels further apart.

It can't work when you have people doing very few side quests and others doing every single one before advancing the main plot. Unless you are suggesting to remove all XP rewards from side quests you can't balance the game for every single playstyle. Everybody is playing the game at they own pace.

Damn right if someone is doing one sidequest they should find the progression extremely hard or near impossible. This is not an open world do whatever you want game like TES - the sidequests should be there to level and strengthen your party so you can complete the critical path. Obviously you don't need to do all of them, but doing more will make your story progression easier and doing less will make it harder.

The game should be balanced with this in mind first before tuning each difficulty. "Hard" should be relatively hard all the way through the game and PotD should be near impossible except for the most experienced of players. That's not even taking into consideration that a game should get MORE difficult as the game progresses, not stay the same or get easier!

I agree with everyone who suggests side quest rewards/XP should be minimal. The motivation to do side content should be because you want to explore more or do more combat, not to make the game easier and easier.

Yep, for PoTD you should be scrounging around for every edge you can find just so you can survive, not deliberately avoiding interesting quests so you can keep a challenge going. Path should really force you to do at least some side quests to have a chance, because once you're playing it it's as much about the fun combat than being able to complete the game.

Currently there are a few encounters that are memorable and the overwhelming majority you actually don't need to use any abilities (all trolls, most spiders, all beetles, all skeletons, all human opponents,all xaurips) and this is definitely a combo of poor enemy accuracy and high deflection tanks plus over experience. Shadows are the most regularly tough opponents although one tank plus summons will do it, it's a shame figurines are cool as they're a really big help, at least the price has been upped. The wyrm figurine and adra beetle do the job of a second tank, so save them for your tough battle per rest.

Currently started a game where I've done a monk tank to see if it's more fun, took me two hours to do temple of eothas at lvl 3 and was an absolute blast. I picked up durance and kana too before going in and had the silver horn before the price was upped. Still died loads, used fireball traps, food, fire scrolls etc to manage it. That's what PoTD should be for the vast majority of the game in my opinion. Honestly I think obsidian have bigger concerns right now which is totally understandable, and just sticking all enemies from all modes and adding 50% stats was always going to make difficulty bumpy, hopefully the find the time to tweak it or a modder decides to take on the challenge :).

Edited by ComplyOrDie

I cannae get the patch yet (GoG doesn't seem to have the hotfix just the patch which I hear breaks things). Even if I do it seems like the difficulty is borked even if I play on PotD. I've never modded a game which didn't just auto mod itself via steam workshop and I use those mods very sparingly. So anyone have any advice on how to have some fun with Baldurs Gate since I might be waiting either a long time for this game to be fixed (if obsidian ever fixes it?).

I have access to the BG1 and 2 Discs and I could also use my housemates account to play the extended editions. Is there a short answer as to which version of the game I should play and how I should mod it to make it fun ? (I really want something with better AI and more fun difficulty than PoE. I am not some kind of super brain but poe demands nothing from you at all)

I cannae get the patch yet (GoG doesn't seem to have the hotfix just the patch which I hear breaks things). Even if I do it seems like the difficulty is borked even if I play on PotD. I've never modded a game which didn't just auto mod itself via steam workshop and I use those mods very sparingly. So anyone have any advice on how to have some fun with Baldurs Gate since I might be waiting either a long time for this game to be fixed (if obsidian ever fixes it?).

I have access to the BG1 and 2 Discs and I could also use my housemates account to play the extended editions. Is there a short answer as to which version of the game I should play and how I should mod it to make it fun ? (I really want something with better AI and more fun difficulty than PoE. I am not some kind of super brain but poe demands nothing from you at all)

Only mod you need for difficulty is sword coast strategems. For TOB you should also install 'ascension' before sword Coast strategms. Theres a readme with scs about the options for each difficulty component. Turn on pprebuffing mages/clerics, stick on all the improved encounters and improved creatures and have fun dying over and over again :). There's a mod called tactics which basically makes every enemy godlike but you also get godlike items I hear, scs is just the standard game with a very well scripted AI and some extra abilities for some enemies which were previously a bit lacklustre.

Far easier to mod the enhanced editions.

Edited by ComplyOrDie
  • Like 1

If the Enhanced Edition for BG is anything like what they did for IWD, then that's the way to go; they typically include all the most popular mods built in and fully tested, plus some extra content and other improvements.  I was pleased with how they did IWD enhanced.

I haven't tried it (BG enhanced), but have been sorely tempted to.  will need to take a break after this game though.... too much isometric thumpery!  have to go do a first person shooter or adenture game to mix things up.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 1

Guys, has anyone tried the IE Mod to change the difficulty to PoTD mid game? I tried it and it displays I'm at PoTD in the options screen, plus I've rested and transitioned to a different area but it doesn't seem harder. Have people who has used the mod to increase to PoTD noticed a large difference in the difficulty?

EDIT: I missed a word, I'm that stupid.

Edited by Telmorial

Only mod you need for difficulty is sword coast strategems. For TOB you should also install 'ascension' before sword Coast strategms. Theres a readme with scs about the options for each difficulty component. Turn on pprebuffing mages/clerics, stick on all the improved encounters and improved creatures and have fun dying over and over again :). There's a mod called tactics which basically makes every enemy godlike but you also get godlike items I hear, scs is just the standard game with a very well scripted AI and some extra abilities for some enemies which were previously a bit lacklustre.

Far easier to mod the enhanced editions.

Thankyou for this information !

Guys, has anyone tried the IE Mod to change the difficulty to PoTD mid game? I tried it and it displays I'm at PoTD in the options screen, plus I've rested and transitioned to a different area but it doesn't seem harder. Have people who has used the mod to increase to PoTD noticed a large difference in the difficulty?

I changed it yesterday and it seems to be working. You can check your bestiary, I think monster's accuracy should be at least 50% higher with PoTD. I'm in Caed Nua now with level 4 chars and it's way harder than before. Now there's actually a sense of danger and I'm loving it.

• Like 1

I reached Cliaban Rilag with a level 10 party

me -  fighter

eder

durance

pallegina

mother

aloth

combat is a borefest galore.

no challange whatsoever on hard mode.

I litearlly nearly fell asleep because of the routine

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

me -  fighter

eder

durance

pallegina

mother

aloth

How many of the sidequests have you done? Would you say you're playing a completionist playthrough so far?

me -  fighter

eder

durance

pallegina

mother

aloth

Think I did it at lvl 7 on my playthrough and it was just as bad. First time you find some Animats, "oh they're cool!" "wait they don't seem to be hurting me... :("

• Like 2

I was doing a completionist playthrough.... I wanted to read all of the lore books, explore all of the areas, meet all of the people, find lots of named weapons. I kind of thought that was supposed to be half the fun of a game like this.

me -  fighter

eder

durance

pallegina

mother

aloth

Think I did it at lvl 7 on my playthrough and it was just as bad. First time you find some Animats, "oh they're cool!" "wait they don't seem to be hurting me... :("

Wow, OK that's a few levels lower and still a cakewalk? Is it just the tanks that are untouchable?

• Like 1

me -  fighter

eder

durance

pallegina

mother

aloth

How many of the sidequests have you done? Would you say you're playing a completionist playthrough so far?

Sidequests are there to be completed and experience the game.

I don't know who invented that word - completionist - but it's  out of place.

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I changed it yesterday and it seems to be working. You can check your bestiary, I think monster's accuracy should be at least 50% higher with PoTD. I'm in Caed Nua now with level 4 chars and it's way harder than before. Now there's actually a sense of danger and I'm loving it.

Thanks, you're correct. The couple of creatures I checked do have higher endurance, accuracy and defense stats. I guess I must be a in low level area then.