Hard mode is too easy.

Im playing on hard because I didn't think it would be that easy and this is my first playtrough and im not crazy enough to pick PotD on first playthrough but I guess I should have done that.

Game is really easy I dont need to use any food or potions ever I dont need to use the inn bonuses I dont even really pay attention to my equipment that much.

Im roflstomping all the fights I got game auto pausing at start of a fight I cast all my aoe spells and my barb cleans up.

I barely ever use the "per rest" spells. I just use the cipher spells wich are so OP and the mages arcane assault and everything is dead already most of the time. 

I saw people complain about how squishy their mage and stuff are but these guys obviouusly dont understand that you can totally equip a plate mail on your mage and even if he has 50% slower speed Who cares.............

I just started buying a few items from the shop and god they seem OP as hell too

I got the glove that lets me cast rot and plague for free on my mage so even more free spells to cast

and the boots that give me concecrate ground lol free healing easy mode roflestomping begins.

But I still like the game but I should have just started first playthrough on PotD

Merged topics. I agree with your solution, Warzoid. If it's too easy on hard, I'd go with PotD. If you're an ol' skool grognard, you're probably having an easier time of it than a lot of newbies.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm playing Hard, L4 so far, and I'd agree Eder is too good at shrugging off essentially all damage that comes his way.  You can walk him into the middle of pretty much anything and he's like, "Meh... that's all ya got?"

I'm okay with most of the other stock NPCs I have found so far.  They can all go down if hit (maybe because I'm running them with medium or light armor).  Especially the wizard in robes, who can get one-shotted by a lot of stuff if he isn't careful.  Personally, I think fighters should be good tanks, but not invulnerable tanks.  It doesn't leave much for the priest to do!

Yeah, it's just a little out of whack, and needs to be reined in a bit. I mean, the Fighter can get Defender Mode, allowing him to intentionally engage 3 enemies. So, holding his own against 3 enemies should be feasible, but not for the next 30 seconds with no worries. And, a fourth coming in and attacking him should be bad news, etc.

He should be able to deliberately mitigate a lot of damage and attacks, but that's not the same thing as never getting hit. That threshold for "Oh crap, I might be in trouble" needs to be lower than it is.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm finding it just about right on Hard. Challenging but not frustrating.

(And no, I don't have invincible Edér. I checked.)

Challenging but not frustrating should be the definition for "normal" mode.

• Like 1

Not today.

And not by BG1's/ IWD's/ IWD2's/PS:T's standards.

Dude it's literally written in the game.

As for the lack of challenge, I think it only concerns the mid-game. I still believe rewarding a bit less xp from gilded vale to defiance bay would be cool. For side stuff at least, so the crit path isn't affected.

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Not today.

And not by BG1's/ IWD's/ IWD2's/PS:T's standards.

Dude it's literally written in the game.

If you want to stick to literalities I'd venture a guess that there are people out there who have experienced frustration playing PoE on Normal.

Yeah it seems that some people struggle in easy mode while some easily wander through Path of the damned, dat's news.
Now to go back to what you said, yes, it should be challenging but not frustrating, that's how normal mode is described. You claimed it's not. The rest is pointless shenanigans to determine what challenging means, whatever, it's still how normal mode is presented.

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Problem is that people who find "normal"or "hard" too hard can easily switch to "normal" or "easy" while in game.

People who find "hard" too easy, can't switch anything.

Edited by Mazisky

Problem is that people who find "normal"or "hard" too hard can easily switch to "normal" or "easy" while in game.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you've got the Triple Crown achievement. (Path of the Damned, Trial of Iron, solo.)

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yeah it seems that some people struggle in easy mode while some easily wander through Path of the damned, dat's news.

Now to go back to what you said, yes, it should be challenging but not frustrating, that's how normal mode is described. You claimed it's not. The rest is pointless shenanigans to determine what challenging means, whatever, it's still how normal mode is presented.

Wut? You're claiming they misnamed normal mode because you didn't experience frustration. Not a great point, and not very debatable.

What I do say is that I find playing the game on Hard, which is described as suitable for Infinity Engine veterans, more challenging than playing any Infinity Engine game on Normal. Btw, if you played the beta to any extent you're a veteran too. Or really, if you just have a good grasp of RPG mechanics (you're a veteran of the genre).

I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you've got the Triple Crown achievement. (Path of the Damned, Trial of Iron, solo.)

I just wanna a decent challenging experience, not an hardcore one.

Hard is too easy and triple crown is hardcore. There is an "average world" in between

• Like 1

I think the issue with is the class balance.

I cheesed a combo that is basically knocking down people prone with a 5th circle wizard spell(forgot the name)

And proceed to cast with the druid the fire bounce spell, that hits 50-100 per bounce.

Nerf magic damage a bit IMO and allow stealth for one character at time so rogue can be viable in combat.

Hard is too easy and triple crown is hardcore. There is an "average world" in between

Expert mode? Path of the Damned? Trial of Iron at any level of difficulty? Playing any level of difficulty solo/with two, three, four, or five characters? Playing with hirelings that are a lower level than you are? Not distributing your stat points on character creation? Going for a rest-minimization run?

Srsly Mazisky if you can't find a way to set up the game with a difficulty level suitable for your preferences, either you're the greatest cRPG god of all time or you're just not even trying.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Srsly Mazisky if you can't find a way to set up the game with a difficulty level suitable for your preferences, either you're the greatest cRPG god of all time or you're just not even trying.

Or maybe there is too umbalanced gap between Hard mode and PoD and i know, as a mature person, that criticising the weakest points of the game it is necessary for having a better\refined product in the future.

(fanboys will never understand that their behaviours are only counter-productive, but i don't expect them to be more than 12 years old, so i can understand) 

Btw, people like you will never understand so...

...it's ok. Everything's balanced and perfect! Can close thread.

Edited by Mazisky

Just adding my thoughts that I think I've scattered in other threads:

- I felt that Hard was more challenging in early levels and early party when I only had 3-4 party members. As if it is better balanced with a smaller party. I reckon it tends to be easier to balance games around smaller parties (hence, Sword Coast Legends = 4 party members, Dragon Age = 4 party members, Final Fantasy series = mostly 3 to 4 party members, etc. etc. Final Fantasy IV being the oddity, having 5 party members)
- I felt that Level 1-8 was more intense, and after that it steadily dropped. I don't recall if I got a game/challenge changing item or if that one level from 7 to 8 changed the power of my party, or if the enemies had just become predictable/under-my-level, at this point.

My guess is that the end-game levels aren't particularly balanced with how fast your party (of 6) grows after a certain point, or it isn't balanced around you getting the best weapon at that point. I just remember that it was quite sudden. From struggling to suddenly breezing through all enemies. I also know that a lot of RPG's are designed to give the Player a somewhat sudden boost in power. Most Players want to feel strong towards the end (regardless if they want to admit it or not :p), as if they have become the "Demi-Gods" they've trained to become and want to feel powerful and an impact from that Level cap (I admit, there was a certain satisfaction in crushing the enemies like they were nothing but paper).

Granted, this was with using combo's to nullify the enemies from barely touching me. Buff me, debuff them ;D SQUISH!

And, in light of what PrimeJunta said, you can play 1-6 party members... meaning, balancing the mid-game to end-game around 6 characters, is going to make anything under it only more unattainable.

You begin with 1 character, then progress towards 6 characters, and when it gets too easy, drop 1 or 2, eventually you'll be back where you started, with 1 character.

• Like 1

I think experience on harder difficulty needs a nerf, I mean, you play hard or PoTD to be challenged, but you also want to do quests, I feel like doing side quests is ruining the challenge for me at the mo. That or tune the whole thing up which would be awesome too :)

Just arrived at the last battle on PoTD, looks fun and shall wait until tomorrow, but the road there has been disappointingly easy despite an amazing overall game. Deliberately haven't min maxed or done many side quests (party lvl 9). Chars aren't bugged. Thanks for the great game but yes, up difficulty massively for hard and PoTD please :).

Edited by ComplyOrDie