Hard mode is too easy.

Just checked and Eder at lvl 6 has 42 deflection unbuffed. That sounds about right to me. Shame as I was hoping a bug, he's literally invulnerable to half the bestiary at the mo, hope this is sorted.

My Eder has 61 deflection , 76 fort,  56 reflex, 64 will with level 6. And my Kana has 22 Intellect . All unbuffed/naked.

At least the def stats on eder are surely bugged. my Barb has only 26 deflection and gets destroyed on melee.

I have the feeling i'm overleveled in most places I visit. I think xp rewards at the beginning should be toned down a bit.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, you can't really overlevel, as you dont get exp for enemies after a certain point. But I noticed, if you do a harder area first, and do the easier side quest later by accident, it gets pretty trivial

Got to around level 8 on hard and restarted on PoTD because it was too easy. Now I'm around level 8 on PoTD and I'm choosing to take a break because it's too easy. The problem lies behind how ridiculously easy it is to just give Eder crazy high deflection and tank every mob in an encounter. Hopefully there can be some simple balance adjustments to make the game challenging again.

• Like 1

Okay, created an account just to post this.

Anyone complaining about hard mode being too easy is silly. Just start over on "Path of the Damned".

Now, for my own complaints.

"Path of the Damned" is far too easy.

I didn't play the beta, I didn't try it out on a easier difficulty. I just jumped straight in to "Path of the Damned". I do however have excessive experience from past games. :p

PC wizard.
Eder.
Aloth.
Adventurer Fighter.
Adventurer Paladin.
Adventurer Ranger.

Through proper positioning for fights, everything was pretty easy up to my PC getting 'per encounter' level 1 spells..... Now, it's a joke.
Before, fights were a little slow with my conserving my spells for fights that I actually needed them on. 90% of the encounters can be cleared just with basic attacks and the 4 per encounter wizard blasts I had.

Now, I can cast 8 "Chill Fog's" per fight....
The only thing I've had survive 8 chill fog's are the big things like trolls. Everything else will be dead.
It's definitely a over-powered spell. Large AoE, persistent damage, doesn't hit allies. Golden. 100% OP.

With that being said, I don't even need to use chill fog for the hardest of fights.
There are other incredibly OP spells that I have now. 5th level, massive AoE 'sleep'. It knocks enemies prone for !~50~! seconds. Yes, my PC has a LOT of Int.

I'm thinking that it's just the fact that I have a double wizard party... but then again, My 3 tanks never really die... With 18-20 Damage Reduction and 90-100 deflection, 170+ endurance with any kind of regen at all is silly. My fighters have their base regen, and my paladin is using the mace with 20% endurance drain on it. Immortality.

I thought I might have a problem without a priest in my party... boy was I wrong.

I'm going to make a new party setup, probably no tank-specced characters this time. Will post back with the results.

PS.
I forgot to mention, the only encounters I had a hard-time with were the ones with "Ogre Matrons"... That AoE/DoT insect spell hurts. :'( One of which was the Ogre bounty. <.<

To me hard was challenging up to lvl6 or so, after that it got easier and easier. Only challenges were the last level on endless dungeon (3 reloads) and the last boss (1 reload). Giving Obsidian time to push out a patch (and nerf some skills like slicken and cipher hold) and I think I'll start damned,expert,trial run.

• Like 1

Anyone complaining about hard mode being too easy is silly. Just start over on "Path of the Damned".

I didn't play the beta, I didn't try it out on a easier difficulty. I just jumped straight in to "Path of the Damned". I do however have excessive experience from past games. :p

PC wizard.

Eder.

Aloth.

Adventurer Fighter.

Adventurer Paladin.

Adventurer Ranger.

If you don't mind me asking why Ranger? Best ranged single target dps?  

Did your two wizards just use the encounter attacks and wand for most battles?

Insane bugs lol....glad I haven't done much yet....wonder if there's people with like 100 in stats...how does that not get found in testing?

Gonna keep with Bloodborne till these things get squared away....is why I keep checking up here every so often.

And yea there needs to be  accuracy on a stat(s)....but hey we told them that numerous times....combat is pretty boring too bad we can't tell if its because of the bugs, mechanics, armor/attack system or what...probably a combination of all.

Tbh I really dislike recovery penalty on armor. A LOT.

Said that too...numerous times...

I have the feeling i'm overleveled in most places I visit. I think xp rewards at the beginning should be toned down a bit.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, you can't really overlevel, as you dont get exp for enemies after a certain point. But I noticed, if you do a harder area first, and do the easier side quest later by accident, it gets pretty trivial

Yes but then, the hard area is chapter 1 (everything before caed nua and caed nua first and second floor), after that, the difficulty didn't cease to decrease.

But the other problem I noticed, though I doubt it has much impact on the difficulty being too low, is the misc bugs affecting stacking stats. Some of my companions now have base DR of 2-3, sometimes inexplicable specific high DR (my Hiravias, or whatever his name is, has like 17 base Fire DR naked... what the actual f...) and some stacking attributes, some stacking bonus spell/lvl talent etc. Seems it occurs while I let them a the stronghold with stuff equipped, because it seems the stuff they wear somehow glitches their character sheet and "print" bonuses as permanent stats, making 'em double as a result.

But even without this, the middle of the game is too easy on hard. These bugged stats don't affect the main character, and my PC is actually the strongest of the party, even without some minor glitched bonuses.

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I might restart my game and try Path of the Damned now. Anyone know how much harder Path of the Damned is vs. hard?

Currently finding PoTD too easy. Certainly not a nightmare like I was hoping for. Over level is very true, PoTD quest exp could be toned down for sure.

PC wizard.

Eder.

Aloth.

Adventurer Fighter.

Adventurer Paladin.

Adventurer Ranger.

Through proper positioning for fights, everything was pretty easy up to my PC getting 'per encounter' level 1 spells..... Now, it's a joke.

Before, fights were a little slow with my conserving my spells for fights that I actually needed them on. 90% of the encounters can be cleared just with basic attacks and the 4 per encounter wizard blasts I had.

Now, I can cast 8 "Chill Fog's" per fight....

The only thing I've had survive 8 chill fog's are the big things like trolls. Everything else will be dead.

It's definitely a over-powered spell. Large AoE, persistent damage, doesn't hit allies. Golden. 100% OP.

With that being said, I don't even need to use chill fog for the hardest of fights.

There are other incredibly OP spells that I have now. 5th level, massive AoE 'sleep'. It knocks enemies prone for !~50~! seconds. Yes, my PC has a LOT of Int.

I'm thinking that it's just the fact that I have a double wizard party... but then again, My 3 tanks never really die... With 18-20 Damage Reduction and 90-100 deflection, 170+ endurance with any kind of regen at all is silly. My fighters have their base regen, and my paladin is using the mace with 20% endurance drain on it. Immortality.

I thought I might have a problem without a priest in my party... boy was I wrong.

I'm going to make a new party setup, probably no tank-specced characters this time. Will post back with the results.

PS.

I forgot to mention, the only encounters I had a hard-time with were the ones with "Ogre Matrons"... That AoE/DoT insect spell hurts. :'( One of which was the Ogre bounty. <.<

I got Insect Plague stuck on my characters after that fight too. Saved my party by liberating exhortation spam, otherwise I'd have actually had people die from health damage after combat.

Anyway, Chill Fog is definitely overpowered and/or broken. It doesn't seem like it should be party-friendly to me, at the very least.

Spamming blind effect in a fairly lengthy duration AoE field is also just a bit much, for the same reason Slicken is so strong. Both mostly prevent the enemy from doing anything while they're in the field unless they have high enough defense to regularly resist it.

I'd also say high Int is an overpowered attribute right now for all casters.

Edited by Odd Hermit

PC wizard.

Eder.

Aloth.

Adventurer Fighter.

Adventurer Paladin.

Adventurer Ranger.

If you don't mind me asking why Ranger? Best ranged single target dps?  

Did your two wizards just use the encounter attacks and wand for most battles?

I went with ranger because I thought it would be the best ranged physical damage output, and I could take the bear companion for a extra tank, which helped a lot early on, but not so much now that my fighters and paladin are immortal. In fact, unless I babysit the bear by keeping him out of melee combat and just using him to increase my rangers accuracy, it's useless. It doesn't ever manage to hit the enemy, and it dies so fast that it's just a penalty for my rangers accuracy if I don't babysit it. :/ (Bear companion is also bugged, it may be all companions, but I'm not sure. They have both 'health' and 'endurance' if you hover over their portrait, but they never lose 'health'. It would be bad if they did though....)

Also, I stuck to a bow even though a lot of other people seemed to like guns a lot more? For me, that's mostly because I don't like guns being in the game anyway. XD

Before my wizards got to level 9 and their first tier spells became encounter based. Yes, I stuck to wands and their 'blast' encounter skills.

Now, my wizards actually do quite a lot of damage with their wands.

I say quite a lot, but I haven't used guns or 2-handed melee weapons, so I mean 9-12 when I say a lot. xD Though it is to multiple enemies around the target due to the talents I chose.

I think one of the things that needs to be done off the top is change how effective damage reduction is.

It's way too strong as it stands now. If you can play through path of the damned without a healer, it's way too easy.

If the enemies do any more damage than they do now, archers will 1-shot any of your squishy characters. So I think just toning back damage reduction would be a good step.

Other than that, as many have said, the enemy AI needs a lot of work. If you engage a enemy in melee range, they WILL NOT leave melee range. Even if your mage that's doing huge damage is only 1 step away and at 10 endurance. Because they are 'engaged' they will not move from that engagement range. This makes engagement attacks useless to the player. The only thing they are good for is so that you can 'tag' a enemy as 'engaged' or if you want to put it another way, 'taunted'.

Also, forgot to mention I never bothered to eat foods or drink potions. Not once have I used any food, or potions. Or even enchanted any gear!

When I first started the game up, and I saw the crafting in there. I thought: "wow, this is going to be AWESOME!" Then I got to actually playing and progressing, and all the gear I found was better than what I could craft. And the foods/potions were so minor/had such a short duration that they were useless.

If path of the damned was actually difficult, I might have used food/potions. But the item enchanting system will sadly always be useless, with but a few exceptions. :(

Are you sure it's on Hard? There's another thread in which people are noticing that, even though they started a game on a harder difficulty setting, their game is actually set to Easy or Normal for some reason.

I don't know how prevalent that is, or how easy to notice it is, either. I just figured that, if that IS going on a lot, then it would be understandable to select "Hard" at the beginning of the game, and assume the game is set to that, even if the game for some reason reset itself to an easier difficulty setting without notifying you.

I'm going to have to double-check this, because I'm also playing on Hard and I'm not feeling the heat, even playing with an utterly rubbish Paladin build (lol @Perception & Resolve).

I'm wondering if this bug exists, that is maybe the game sometimes doesn't actually use the difficulty level you have selected in options. Perhaps only if you change it mid game.

Here's my reasons for wondering this, I know it's purely speculative but...

I had a game with a Priest PC on normal and I found it pretty tough, so I restarted as a Paladin, also on normal. It was much easier, so as an experiment to see how the difficulty changed a particular battle I went to the Eothas temple in Gilded Vale, and I saved the game outside a downstairs area room that had 3 shadows in it. I changed the slider to hard and went upstairs and back down to the room (doing a map change to enable the new difficulty). In addition to the 3 shadows there were now 2 shades. Also, the shadows multiplied during the battle. It was definitely harder and my party got destroyed quickly.

So, I reloaded my normal game, and left the temple to quest elsewhere a little. Whilst doing this I decided to change to hard again, but when I returned to the temple and did that same room, there were only 3 shadows in it, no shades, and it was pretty easy. I've since been continuing (on hard) and finding the game quite easy.

I've checked and I haven't had the attrib stacking bug as far as I can see.

TLDR: I can't help thinking that even though I switched the difficulty in game from normal to hard, it has actually remained on normal...

Has anyone else noticed something like this?

Edited by amroc

Just checked and Eder at lvl 6 has 42 deflection unbuffed. That sounds about right to me. Shame as I was hoping a bug, he's literally invulnerable to half the bestiary at the mo, hope this is sorted.

My Eder has 61 deflection , 76 fort,  56 reflex, 64 will with level 6. And my Kana has 22 Intellect . All unbuffed/naked.

At least the def stats on eder are surely bugged. my Barb has only 26 deflection and gets destroyed on melee.

Damn...I was wondering why my Eder was a tanking god. I have the same defense stats as you, but at level 5. My Kana also has a 22 intellect unbuffed. I'm not too far into the game, so I think I'll wait for a few patches before trying again. Certainly disappointing, hope it's fixed soon. Time to start Bloodborne :)

People who are finding combat too easy might also want to check if they or their companions have been affected by the stat increase bug; just checked my PC and her Intellect is 34.  I was wondering why her AoEs were so big :D

She's got HUUUUGE... tracts of spell-targeted land!

Another weird thing I've noticed in relation to easiness, though, is that the minimum damage through DR/grazing doesn't seem to be working right.

My PC Wizard was grazed for 0.0 damage several times.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I  As far as I know it happens every time you load a game in a couple major locations so unless you simply never saved the game there...

Just starting Act 3 Hard/trial of iron and have not experienced any stat bloat bug whatsoever. Only the Kana weapon set thing, which is easily fixed by booting/rehiring him. I've made sure no such bloat is happening at least every 20 minutes. 

Game has been a complete cakewalk steamroll on Hard. The only close call was Eder going down in like 2 seconds (think he was paralyzed immediately to begin and out before Durance could get off even 1 heal ) to start the encounter vs Wymund, but Grieving Moms and my Barb stepped up and went clutch.

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

Got to around level 8 on hard and restarted on PoTD because it was too easy. Now I'm around level 8 on PoTD and I'm choosing to take a break because it's too easy. The problem lies behind how ridiculously easy it is to just give Eder crazy high deflection and tank every mob in an encounter. Hopefully there can be some simple balance adjustments to make the game challenging again.

I'm playing Hard, L4 so far, and I'd agree Eder is too good at shrugging off essentially all damage that comes his way.  You can walk him into the middle of pretty much anything and he's like, "Meh... that's all ya got?"

I'm okay with most of the other stock NPCs I have found so far.  They can all go down if hit (maybe because I'm running them with medium or light armor).  Especially the wizard in robes, who can get one-shotted by a lot of stuff if he isn't careful.  Personally, I think fighters should be good tanks, but not invulnerable tanks.  It doesn't leave much for the priest to do!

I'm mostly happy with the "hard" difficulty, and I do realize balancing is a hard thing, because everybody plays differently, goes through the game in a different order, etc.  Still, a couple small tweaks might improve the balance a little.