Hard mode is too easy.

well Eder has like 120 Deflection and 20 DR vs several damage types, so not many enemie can hit him or damage him really. I don't send my other characters forward very much because recently they've coded the AI to change targets to the one that has the lowest Deflection, so I don't send anyone forward unless I need to, because then they'll take aggro off Eder.

Ranged characters also seem to target ranged party members as well, so I sit them right back to avoid aggro.

They've made the game soooo polarized between tanks having bad damage but being really good at tanking and DPS characters doing a lot of damage but dying instantly that doing anything in between is pretty much a bad idea.

How fun, so when do I get charged my monthly fee and when are we getting together to raid that epic loot boss guys?

That's not entirely fair, honestly. I think I would have preferred an aggro-based system, despite the fact that it's quite far from how it worked in the IE games, when it comes to tanking. There are some really definitive issues with how it works right now, partly because of the polarization, but also because tanks simply can't hold the line when non-tank melee-ers comes into the game.

Nevermind the issue of keeping doorways, something that could've been done without Engagement; I hate how when anything in the doorway dies, my tank leaps forward to the next target, and because of Engagement, he can't move back or reposition, and because of the cramped space, none of my other meleers can even get close, so often, me, the rogue I made (and has since ditched), or Pallegina simply cannot get close to the mobs, because Edér is blocking OUR access to the mobs.

Ranged really is king. Melee tank, ranged DPS, complete polarization on all fronts.

There's a bug where your main character and some of the companions can get significantly higher stats and resistances building up over time than they should get. And it's extremely difficult to avoid the bug since it kicks in every time you save/load a game in a couple major locations. So it's quite possible that some people are finding the game too easy because some of the characters are buffed up by bugs.

I haven't seen this yet, I think, but how do I detect it? And how do I avoid it?

It happens when you load a game in a location where you've recruited a companion, and they have an item or effect which boosts stats. So if, for example, you load a game in Gilded Vale with Eder in your party and he has any items on which give a stat boost his stats will be permanently increased by that amount. Or if you load a game in Caed Nua with with Kana in your party. And that one is easy to see since he comes with a +1 intellect item on so you can save/load over and over in Caed Nua and watch his intellect go up.

Sensuki, how did you avoid it? As far as I know it happens every time you load a game in a couple major locations so unless you simply never saved the game there...

...Well ****, I definitely have that, then. I Save/Load like crazy. Is there any workaround to fix it?

Edit: Strangely, I had not have this happen to Kana Rua, despite definitely loading several times at the Stronghold, but I did have it happen to Edér because of something you can find at the temple. God. Damn. I guess I can live with Edér having +1 Per/Res, because they're abysmal to him anyway, but damn if it's not pissing me off. Luckily it's the only one that I've had it happen to so far.

Use Pikes/Staves/Firearms. I don't see an issue. Is not hitting at all somehow worse than hitting with worse weapon ? Pallegina has soldier weapons so you should have Pike there for such situations or areqbus or arbalest with which she is also good.

I don't see a problem at all with doorways and reaching. Hell even Eder has pistol since he is good with them.

Edited by Killyox

It happens when you load a game in a location where you've recruited a companion, and they have an item or effect which boosts stats.  So if, for example, you load a game in Gilded Vale with Eder in your party and he has any items on which give a stat boost his stats will be permanently increased by that amount.  Or if you load a game in Caed Nua with with Kana in your party.  And that one is easy to see since he comes with a +1 intellect item on so you can save/load over and over in Caed Nua and watch his intellect go up.

Sensuki, how did you avoid it?  As far as I know it happens every time you load a game in a couple major locations so unless you simply never saved the game there...

Yes, it happens in the location where you have recruited the companion each time upon loading the game. So according to my testing, with Eder (and Aloth possibly - have not tested it) it is Gilded Vale, with Durance it is Magran's Fork and with Kana it happens at Caed Nua.

Edited by Tanred

Make sure you check their resistances and stuff too.  The attributes like Might and so on are the easiest and most obvious to see but stuff like Deflection or Reflexes also increase over time, can have even greater effects, and can be less obvious.  I mean, can you say for certain if a Reflex score of 50 is bugged or not?  Maybe it should be 40.  Are you sure either way?

Good point. The most annoying thing about this is that there's no way to know for sure, unless you recalculate the entire character by hand.

Goddamn it, how this this go through internal testing... =_= I now have the fear the my Edér is utterly broken. At the very least, he has +1 Per/Res, +10 Will and +5 Deflection too much. And I don't even want to think of what this has done to my other characters that I just haven't noticed.

I'm currently at work so I can't check, might be because I use the defensive modal with the extra talent for it. Maybe I switched it off.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

But, if the 'hard' difficulty setting is too easy, there is always Path of the Damned right? Would make sense to make this thread if that difficulty setting is too easy.

I find it a bit strange to complain about a difficulty setting being too easy when there is still a higher difficulty to try.

Same if I were to complain that 'normal' is too easy, would it make sense?

That said, I noticed in Act1 that the start was particularly hard, I had a lot of difficulties beating the 'Shades' mobs in the first town you enter (In the underground temple).

I was however level 3 with a party size of 3 / 4, while I later learned they were level 5.

I am a bit further into Act 1 now and my characters are level 4, nearing level 5 and I can win fights more easily now. Its still too early for me to say if hard mode would turn up to be too easy. However, if it is, I can always start attempting Path of the Damned. If that would be too easy, I will start complaining :) 

• Like 1

Is this only stats? I'm about to do a post to review balancing in path of the damned (which I'm also finding on the whole very easy). One of the primary reasons for this is that very few enemies do enough damage to Eder. I think he has around 94 deflection when buffed (plate, ring, helm, enchants, lvl 6) so it doesn't matter how many enemies are hitting or attempting to hit him he just stays at full health. Everyone else dies fast but it's easy enough to get them all beating on Eder so doesn't matter anyway. Add to that the enemy caster ai won't friendly fire and there's not much to worry about in combat, except for pwgra and Druid combos which have to die fast.

I definitely didn't reload in gilded vale though.

Edited by ComplyOrDie

Yes, it happens in the location where you have recruited the companion each time upon loading the game. So according to my testing, with Eder (and Aloth possibly - have not tested it) it is Gilded Vale, with Durance it is Magran's Fork and with Kana it happens at Caed Nua.

So only when loading - not saving?

Is this bug already targeted for the upcoming update?

Anyone knows something about this? And will it be possible to fix already increased values?

It's seems to be really gamebreaking.  ;(

People who are finding combat too easy might also want to check if they or their companions have been affected by the stat increase bug; just checked my PC and her Intellect is 34.  I was wondering why her AoEs were so big :D

Finding game easy or rather AI being not too bright. Stats not bugged :) Just checked them. Then again I barely save and play on a single save (quik save).

Edited by Killyox

But, if the 'hard' difficulty setting is too easy, there is always Path of the Damned right? Would make sense to make this thread if that difficulty setting is too easy.

I find it a bit strange to complain about a difficulty setting being too easy when there is still a higher difficulty to try.

That said, I noticed in Act1 that the start was particularly hard, I had a lot of difficulties beating the 'Shades' mobs in the first town you enter (In the underground temple).

I was however level 3 with a party size of 3 / 4, while I later learned they were level 5.

I am a bit further into Act 1 now and my characters are level 4, nearing level 5 and I can win fights more easily now. Its still too early for me to say if hard mode would turn up to be too easy. However, if it is, I can always start attempting Path of the Damned. If that would be too easy, I will start complaining :)

Artificial difficulty is not always the good type of difficulty.

Having boss take 20 minutes to kill and 1-2 shot player is not difficult but retarded and cheesy and shows a total lack of effort in developing AI. Having robust AI for enemies and various skills and mechanics to play around is more interesting.

Sure people can go PotD solo with trial of iron and expert mode but will that be fun? I doubt it would be for me. I did Ironman in X-Com and my save LITERALLY got fked up on the last boss just before entrance to his very room! Man was I pissed.

Edited by Killyox

It happens when you load a game in a location where you've recruited a companion, and they have an item or effect which boosts stats.  So if, for example, you load a game in Gilded Vale with Eder in your party and he has any items on which give a stat boost his stats will be permanently increased by that amount.  Or if you load a game in Caed Nua with with Kana in your party.  And that one is easy to see since he comes with a +1 intellect item on so you can save/load over and over in Caed Nua and watch his intellect go up.

Sensuki, how did you avoid it?  As far as I know it happens every time you load a game in a couple major locations so unless you simply never saved the game there...

Wow, I have to check when I am home if this happened to me. If I read the 'bug' like you described I might have been a victim. As I have (quick)loaded the game a lot of times in all areas. so most likely also the Area's where I picked up the characters. I don't understand why such a gamebreaking bug has not been fixed pre-release though?

There has been plenty of beta testing, not?

I hate to have to restart again if I am indeed victim of this bug, as it seem like you describe permanent..

I am playing very slow and elaborate clearing all mobs etc, I am finally at that point where I have finished all stuff in Act1 accept for 1 thing.  (22 hours gametime).

I already had to restart 2 times because I did not have enough knowledge about skills and classes, and had to remade the character to play :)

A 3rd restart would start making me Q.Q a bit.

I'm playing hard setting and i find the game too easy, i'm not even an hardcore gamer, i completed Baldur's Gate  (at time) only on normal settings. I'm at 12 hours of game.

Would be fine a new difficulty level between hard and pod, or buffing hard mode.

Play in the next difficulty level .

They've made the game soooo polarized between tanks having bad damage but being really good at tanking and DPS characters doing a lot of damage but dying instantly that doing anything in between is pretty much a bad idea.

Bad bad bad idea. Game is totally boring at some point.

Edited by geobio

Artificial difficulty is not always the good type of difficulty.

Having boss take 20 minutes to kill and 1-2 shot player is not difficult but retarded and cheesy and shows a total lack of effort in developing AI. Having robust AI for enemies and various skills and mechanics to play around is more interesting.

Sure people can go PotD solo with trial of iron and expert mode but will that be fun? I doubt it would be for me. I did Ironman in X-Com and my save LITERALLY got fked up on the last boss just before entrance to his very room! Man was I pissed.

I know what you trying to say, but you should also know that I was not talking about having a boss take 20 minutes to kill. I was referring to the average difficulty when you challenge normal mobs on the hard difficulty. If you read the explanation when setting hard, it also notes that you need to drink potions, use buffs and eat food buffs accordingly to overcome challenges. But so far I didn't really had to pay attention to this at all, which makes me think as well the game is not too punishing on hard.

However, right now I want to focus on the bug people talk about, it might be that my characters are affected and they suddenly have stats higher then they should have because of the loading bug people refer to here. If I am indeed affected, it would explain why my characters are starting to be more viable now. I thought it was because they are now starting to be on equal/outlevel the enemy's and the addition of 2 ranged classes who deal a lot of ranged damage with a very long reload time (40-50 damage with erabus is nice).

If there is more info about this loading bug I would really like to get as much info as possible, so I can avoid this as much as possible as it is literally a game-breaking bug. And I would need to start over again for me to enjoy the game as it is mend to be played on said difficulty.

I kinda agree. For my party the problem seems to mainly stem from Eder. He is almost indestructible already at lvl 8 with gear and talents I've given him. His unbuffed defensive are deflection 117, fortitude 99, reflex 97, and will 91, and even without buffs he has talents/gear that raise those stats even further in certain situations. I don't even remember when he has last got by a melee attack, spells can occasionally hit him but I'm pretty sure he could already solo most things PoE could throw at him.

I haven't finished EP, or the optional bounty bosses, etc. but surely even the every day quest content should pose some kind of threat at hard difficulty?

Just figured out one thing to avoid to keep your stats from increasing with that bug: If you have the Drinking Horn of Moderation equipped (which gives +2 Intellect when you're over 50% endurance) and your endurance drops under 50% in a fight, when it goes back up you'll be 2 more Intellect points over where you should be.

Is it easy to check? Like if you press 'C' can you see it in the statistics? Or is it like 'hidden' stats that you can not see?

Oh man, I get a bit worked up over this. Game breaking bug t.b.h. if this is indeed confirmed.

@Jazou

Agree. If someone who can reproduce this bug report it in the technical part of the forum.

I will check tonight if I am also victim of this bug.

Edited by zephiris

I'm playing hard setting and i find the game too easy, i'm not even an hardcore gamer, i completed Baldur's Gate  (at time) only on normal settings. I'm at 12 hours of game.

Would be fine a new difficulty level between hard and pod, or buffing hard mode.

I thought so too until, I read about a bug.

It may very well be, that hard mode is too easy, because of a stats bug on your characters. There is a bug, where stats from items or abilities stack permanently. After reading about this, I checked my Eder for example, and saw that he has 90+ in all defensive stats (deflection,reflex,fortitude,will). So I hope a patch comes and, that can fix those bugs retroactively. I think after that, hard mode will be a lot more challenging. Because currently my tank is nearly invincible.

I just checked my Eder but everything seems to be in order

Eder naked & unbuffed @6th lvl

Acc 45, Def 59, Fort 69, Ref 54, Will 67, HP 661, End 133, DR 0, Might 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Per 11, Int 13, Res 13   VS his geared stats + modal ON

Acc 51, Def 106, Fort 84, Ref 71, Will 84, HP 661, End 133, DR 10, Might 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Per 12, Int 13, Res 14

My PC is also the same as when I made him so apparently I avoided the bug.

also some people complained about the companions Being to weak. Eder is like not possible to damage atm

Look at your defensive stats. If they are over 80+ it's possibly the stats bug some guys are talking about. 

It's very very easy to get defensive stats 80+ for a tank.

Edited by Killyox

I think the health vs Endurance system is a lot more forgiving than the IE games.  In Baldur's gate I'd usually reload if any of my companions got knocked out in a dungeon.  In PoE, I couldn't always get the tanks to hold aggro, so plenty of folks got KO'd then stood back up after the fight.

I cleared normal (completed all quests up to act 2, skipped most act 3 sidequests and Endless Paths) with tank monk PC, 1x hired rogue blunderbusser, 4x story npc.  Found ~3 fights where I needed to reload repeatedly.

Accuracy and deflection buffs / debuffs swing balance dramatically, but not many encounters had strong buffs/ debuffs going on.  Not many encounters were attacking things other than deflection.

Insane bugs lol....glad I haven't done much yet....wonder if there's people with like 100 in stats...how does that not get found in testing?

Gonna keep with Bloodborne till these things get squared away....is why I keep checking up here every so often.

And yea there needs to be  accuracy on a stat(s)....but hey we told them that numerous times....combat is pretty boring too bad we can't tell if its because of the bugs, mechanics, armor/attack system or what...probably a combination of all.

Edited by GreyFox

Insane bugs lol....glad I haven't done much yet....wonder if there's people with like 100 in stats...how does that not get found in testing?

Gonna keep with Bloodborne till these things get squared away....is why I keep checking up here every so often.

And yea there needs to be  accuracy on a stat(s)....but hey we told them that numerous times....combat is pretty boring too bad we can't tell if its because of the bugs, mechanics, armor/attack system or what...probably a combination of all.

Tbh I really dislike recovery penalty on armor. A LOT.

I'm currently at work so I can't check, might be because I use the defensive modal with the extra talent for it. Maybe I switched it off.

Alas, I got SSJ Eder, SSJ Kana and SSJ Aloth.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.