I've had this terrible affliction called "Bonded Grief" playing as a ranger. I read on a post but it wasn't clear about how to resolve it. 

It is almost impossible to stop my pet from engaging and subsequently dying in large engagements. How do I go about removing this affliction?

Thanks 

• Like 1

you cant, if your pet is dead your ranger gets bonded gref. it goes away at the end of the fight when the pet regains endurnce. if your pet is dieing a lot you may need to change your stradegy. i find with a melee ranger it is best to engadge the enemy with your ranger, or tanky fighter if you have one, then flank the enemy with the pet to gain flanking bonus and up dps. if your dealing with a large grupe you can use the pet to plug any holes in your front line but without prist or wizard suport the pet will fall fast. if your playing a ranged ranger the the best stratgy is to have your fighter, or the tank, engadge then send in your pet to the same target. the bigest thing is to make sure the ranger and pet are hiting the same target if at all posible.

god i cant spell worth sh!t

Edited by Whosdriving

I've had this terrible affliction called "Bonded Grief" playing as a ranger. I read on a post but it wasn't clear about how to resolve it. 

It is almost impossible to stop my pet from engaging and subsequently dying in large engagements. How do I go about removing this affliction?

Thanks 

Don't just grab everyone and click attack. Send the tank(s) forward to engage/knockdown, start up the firing squad and only send the pet in once the battle line has stabilized. 

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

Okay, noted. I did tend to just drag and click attack, with the exception of the wizard and rogue. 

Although the fight was over a long time ago, maybe four hours (non-game time). I even rested and then rested at an inn, is there no restoration potion or temple where I can be cured. My wizard was just struck with sickness! 

It's a bug.

That being said, i am of the opinion that Ranger as a class is in need of an overhaul, the fact that his ranged build is inferior to melee is mind boggling, plus they shouldn't suffer such severe penalties when their pets die, and they will die, it makes absolutely no sense, it's like they tried to reinvent the wheel when it comes to this class trying to differentiate it from it's D&D counterpart just for the sake of it, and they failed considering that the Rangers in the old Infinity games were flat out better....frankly this is my only serious gripe with this fantastic game.

i dont know i realy like playing ranger. mind you im using one as a front line with a spear an shield with high deflection. but sagani is ranged and she is puting out beter damage than any one in my parts othe than my wizard

Edited by Whosdriving

It's a bug.

That being said, i am of the opinion that Ranger as a class is in need of an overhaul, the fact that his ranged build is inferior to melee is mind boggling, plus they shouldn't suffer such severe penalties when their pets die, and they will die, it makes absolutely no sense, it's like they tried to reinvent the wheel when it comes to this class trying to differentiate it from it's D&D counterpart just for the sake of it, and they failed considering that the Rangers in the old Infinity games were flat out better....frankly this is my only serious gripe with this fantastic game.

To be honest, I'm finding the paladin and chanter to be worse.  They just don't contribute in any meaningful way.  I'm currently running with a ranger, and she kills people. Bang, dead, see ya baby.   The pet is a matter of control- don't just blindly rush it into combat. Keep in stationary at first, then send it in after engagement happens. 

• Like 1

Ranger is fine, not sure why people hate it so much. I started a Human Female Ranger last night, uses an Arbalest and a Bear. Once I got that skill that let me reload faster she dishes out great damage, and uses Wounding Shot during combat, while my Bear off-tanks for Eder.

She was one-shotting enemies in the early game with her Crossbow

The ranger isn't bad now actually, once they removed the shared health pool which made it really super-fragile and un-fun. I'm quite enjoying having Sagani in the party, so much so that I might roll a ranger of my own at some point. Coordinating with Itumaaq is fun and with a couple nice talent picks (Penetrating Shot FTW) the damage output is pretty nice too.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It's a bug. A pretty excruciating one at that, since the penalty is SO enormous. Actually it looks like many in-encounter effects don't resolve properly at the end of combat (sup perma-bugs from the Ogre). We can only hope that it is addressed promptly.

Okay so I can't edit my previous post because of this new account restriction (which seems like a pretty great way to make a lot of extra work for mods so that they can't attend to important stuff...), but it looks like what's happening is if your summons don't despawn, you get stuck in combat forever. OP, if you knock out a character, do they just stay down forever? Because in a fight shortly after this occurred to me the first time, Kana's chants would stop resetting to 0 and Aloth didn't get back up after being knocked out (despite having >1 health). Interestingly I was still able to save and rest.

Anyway, the solution people are floating for now is reload a previous save. That's about as unsatisfying as it gets, of course, but your game is basically borked when that happens. Actually, there's a pretty spectacular list of other game breaking bugs floating around on the steam discussion forums right now. I'm surprised these weren't attended to during the beta.

Ranger is fine, not sure why people hate it so much. I started a Human Female Ranger last night, uses an Arbalest and a Bear. Once I got that skill that let me reload faster she dishes out great damage, and uses Wounding Shot during combat, while my Bear off-tanks for Eder.

It is not... I played it extensively during beta. I hate to say it, but I personally think it's the big failure class. At least it is for me, anyway.

Can you be successful with any other pet than a bear? No purely fragile buff pets either. I don't like it, don't consider it a "ranger", it's like some strange stepchild of world of warcraft hunter class. Don't want.

I think the biggest clue they missed was that it's just plain boring. It's a single roll of the dice that determines whether or not each fight will be lost. That being massive crits out of the gate or it's dead. Getting aggro off one is painful.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

So i found the Fix for this issue if its not your main character, where the debuff stays, just go to the inn and hire a new recruit but instead of hiring a new one, just diss miss your ranger and re add him to the group takes seconds and the debuff goes away.

thought i was going to be screwed and have to hire a new companion.

Can you be successful with any other pet than a bear? No purely fragile buff pets either. 

Pretty much this, bear or bust.

If nothing else then at least Ranger's pets are in need of some serious dev attention in order to be truly viable options.

Edited by Isi1dur

i like the way the ranger class is setup but I admit that I would of prefered it if they just didnt have a pet because it doesnt really seem to contribute in a very meaningful way.  I took the lion and it roars over a large area with a nice enemy debuff then just kinda gets in the way.  Also, whoever said they didn't like paladin, I think your wrong, I really like mine as far as tank calsses anyway.. all of them are boring but pal seems the best of the lot in many ways and the absolute 100% best pc char if you want to have the stats for dialog options.  Granted, fighter prolly main tanks better and chanter might be a more interesting alternative but pal has stupid high defenses and gives nice stuff to the less hearty team mates to keep them alive on harder difficulties.  I doubt even the fighter has the defenses of a properly faithed paladin, he just regens better

Edited by vistani