[Bug] Reputation level, gilded vale

mega-T

Question

Hello

Im still at the beginning of the game, however I think the reputation level is bugged (possibly also elsewhere?).

In Gilded Vale you can rescue the cook of the local Inn, however if you do so and earn reputation - all prices increase dramaticly.

Most likley it should be otherwise, prices should decrease...

Im not sure yet, if this issue is also existing in other places of the game...

21 answers to this question

Hey mega-T,

I've been messing around in Gilded Vale and the Late for Dinner quest with no luck in reproducing your issue. All of my prices go down in the Inn after saving him. Can you send me a save file and tell me a little bit more in detail about what you did before the issue occurred.

• Like 1

Hello Sking, yes of course.

I know that this also has happend to my friend.

Im using a 2nd level Fighter, but it doesnt seem to be related to the character - my friend is a wizard (completly different char).

He didnt even notice,  he only wondered why the prices are so high in Gilded Vale...

Prior traveling to Gilded Vale I did not rescue the cook from the north area yet, so I had the chance to check the Inn before I earned reputation and the prices were a lot cheaper.

So basically there is not much to report yet, I simply began with the game doing the prolog (which you must do anyways) and then heading south to Gilded Vale.

I worked my way thru the area to the inn, so I guess I did talk with a couple of persons prior entering the Inn of course.

I'll attach my savegame, checksums are:

md5: c3eef453907e1a3b7d1cbd20d43a1a95

sha1: 9897c3eb5b1cb4ed9559d1207b367d930d4af1ab

Im using the Linux version v1.0.2.0508

Edit:

Please download the savegame file from here:

http://www.ninth-art.de/files/b9afde86cd6e4a45ab09884ef21fe06b%207975659%20GildedVale.savegame

It's very annoying that the forum always tells "You are not permitted to upload this kind of file..." this is ridiculous.

Edited by mega-T

I have the same issue, also Linux version v1.0.2.0508. I did rescue the cook before entering Gilded Vale. With another character, that did not rescue the cook the prices are much lower.  E.g.: WIth my bugged character, the price for one camping supply now is 6250cp. It seems the reputation multiplier is calculated faulty. With every reputation gain in Gilded Vale, prices increase.

I am not allowed to upload savegames to the forum ("Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file") so I am linking it for you to download:

https://copy.com/F0Za3ET18fGhVbuw

Ok, I debugged this issue. It is a locale issue. I am using "de_DE.UTF-8" so "," is used for decimal digits and "." is used as thousand seperator. If a Obsidian tester wants to reproduce this issue, use Linux and set your locale to "de_DE.UTF-8", then do the "Late for Dinner" quest.

If you do the quest with this locale, prices are multiplied with "85" instead of "0.85", because of the wrong seperator. Changing the locale will not fix the prices afterwards, since they seem to be stored in a persistent way and are not recalculated. But it will probably fix the error from corrupting prices via reputation later in the game.

The workaround is to set your locale to "C" in start.sh:

export LC_ALL="C"
Edited by neovatar
  • Like 1

Ok, I debugged this issue. It is a locale issue. I am using "de_DE.UTF-8" so "," is used for decimal digits and "." is used as thousand seperator. If a Obsidian tester wants to reproduce this issue, Linux and set your locale to "de_DE.UTF-8" and do the "Late for Dinner" quest.

If you do the quest with this locale, prices are multiplied with "85" instead of "0.85", because of the wrong seperator. Changing the locale will not fix the prices afterwards, since they seem to be stored in a persistent way and are not recalculated. But it will probably fix the error from corrupting prices via reputation later in the game.

The workaround is to set your locale to "C" in start.sh:

export LC_ALL="C"

Wow, Im impressed - Im developer myself but would never have expected an locale issue behind this.

Are the configuration/scripts kind of localized? Why would this be the case?!

Shouldnt they be read-in 1:1 no matter what the localization is...

I am having the same issue. Again Linux version and de.DE-UTF8 locale. :)

edit:

using 

LC_ALL=C %command%

as a startingoption in steam would be a workaround for further problems like this, right?

Do you think they can fix the prices with a patch in your current game, or do we have to start over again, afterwards?

Edited by the193rd

I am having the same issue. Again Linux version and de.DE-UTF8 locale. :)

edit:

using 

LC_ALL=C %command%

as a startingoption in steam would be a workaround for further problems like this, right?

Do you think they can fix the prices with a patch in your current game, or do we have to start over again, afterwards?

HI, guys.

Since I don't mind messing with game file as long as I know exactly what I'm doing, but I lack any real technical understanding, would any of you be able to provide a step-by-step instructions how to fix the issue while we wait for a patch?

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Since I don't mind messing with game file as long as I know exactly what I'm doing, but I lack any real technical understanding, would any of you be able to provide a step-by-step instructions how to fix the issue while we wait for a patch

This isnt messnig with any game file, its just editing a script - gog uses a start.sh so it can be put in there.

All you need to do is export the LC_ALL env var prior starting the game (so its in the current environment) - whether you do this by editing some script,

or by adding your own wrapper is not relevant.

Same issue happening to me in Gilded Vale for both "discount" missions, the one in the inn to rescue the cook and the one that you do for the blacksmith helping him locate his supplies, after finishing the quests prices go way higher than before instead of going down. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future patch, I don't want to restart the game and lose all my progress.

I have the same problem.

Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit German

Game is from Gog and English

I have already made some progress in the game (about 8 hours) and now I would like to know if the fix that is prepared by Obsidian will prevent the bug from happening in the future or if also my existing savegame will be fixed?

The wrong prices must be included in the savegame file, as I tried to send it to a friend, but when he opened it he also had the high prices.

I need firewood desperately, but it is quite hard to get in this part of the game apart from Gilded Vale.

I've got the same problem with a windows machine ( english os ) and the pillars client in Italian: the vendor having issues is Igrun in Copperlane (the other vendors in the same location are fine). Switching the game client to English made the prices to change correctly, but changing back to Italian caused the prices to be wrong again and really high.

I've tried starting over with a new character and the issue happened at the Black Hound Inn in Gilded Vale and the other vendors in the same area were fine.

Reinstalling the game didn't change anything and the problem persisted. Gaining or losing reputation in the areas didn't fix.

Same issue with both Steam in Italian and English.

I couldn't find a permanent solution to be able to play in Italian as for now. I hope this will be fixed and it will retroactively fix also the saves.