Where's the modding info?

I love love love this game.  I'm already seeing tons of little things I'd like to see changed though.  I realize Unity made "full modding" support kind of hard.  I imagine there are limited things we can change very easy though.  Like spell durations or weapon stats for example.

I don't expect tools but will Obsidian be releasing some info on this soon?

Only fan made are available.  Currently there is only one mod and that is IE Mod. You can download at nexus pillars or Bester thread. 

Yes I saw the UI mod.  I'm asking when they'll release actual info on what we CAN mod though.

The unfortunate answer is that I would not expect Obsidian to ever address the mod question head-on. Early in their development they chose Unity, which is decidedly unfriendly to modding. I sympathize with your position, but Pillars of Eternity is just not a game that you can add to.

And even better, Inxile has licenced all this same tech for Tides of Numenera. So when it comes out you'll be locked out of that game too.

EDIT: I don't mean to call foul on Obsidian. Unity is very cost-effective to develop on and Obsidian made a good call choosing it. I just wish that Unity would make it more of a priority to make their engine mod-friendly in the future.

Edited by GiantPotato

The unfortunate answer is that I would not expect Obsidian to ever address the mod question head-on. Early in their development they chose Unity, which is decidedly unfriendly to modding. I sympathize with your position, but Pillars of Eternity is just not a game that you can add to.

Cities: Skylines would like a word. That game is Unity based as well and because they've allowed C# and compiled .dll's, you can do a hell of a lot with the game in terms of modding. The Steam workshop for the game was practically flooded with a ton of community made improvements to the interface, game mechanics and visuals (edit: within days*)

Edited by Mansen

Cities: Skylines would like a word. That game is Unity based as well and because they've allowed C# and compiled .dll's, you can do a hell of a lot with the game in terms of modding. The Steam workshop for the game was practically flooded with a ton of community made improvements to the interface, game mechanics and visuals.

Had no idea that Skylines was done in Unity. That's really cool and it makes me very hopeful that other Unity games can achieve the same.

My understanding though is that the developers of Skylines would have had to put a fair amount of time and money into making a mod-friendly Unity game. Is that actually the case?

My understanding though is that the developers of Skylines would have had to put a fair amount of time and money into making a mod-friendly Unity game. Is that actually the case?

No that's a misunderstanding. Unity complicates SOME types of modding because the engine uses proprietary formats for graphics/sound/etc. A lot of flat data like classes/talents/spells/etc should be in easy to mod files. If Obsidian didn't do that then they purposely tried to shut down modding.

They said the same about BG back in the day. We started with Hex editing and worked our way up from there. I think we managed pretty well, all things considered.

So, we need an info database, tools, and some chutzpah. Time to get crackin' folks. :dancing:

The grey wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwellings of the gods.

• 3 weeks later...

Only fan made are available.  Currently there is only one mod and that is IE Mod. You can download at nexus pillars or Bester thread. 

Yeah but in order to get that mod u need to pay for registration with nexus - what the ****

Explore

Yeah but in order to get that mod u need to pay for registration with nexus - what the ****

You don't need to pay to register for Nexus.

You do need to register.

But not for munies.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Only fan made are available. Currently there is only one mod and that is IE Mod. You can download at nexus pillars or Bester thread.

Scroll all the way down and choose the free option (or simply click continue, don't remember). Paying for registration is completely optional.

No that's a misunderstanding. Unity complicates SOME types of modding because the engine uses proprietary formats for graphics/sound/etc. A lot of flat data like classes/talents/spells/etc should be in easy to mod files. If Obsidian didn't do that then they purposely tried to shut down modding.

Agreed, Unity has a middle layer that doesn't need to be there.  If you want to play a sound file, just play the god damn sound file, there shouldn't be a need for a .unity3d library file that tells you where the files are.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.