Why can't I use party members for interactables?

Posted this on steam forums, but too many trolls:

For example, I am in the ruins of the Eothas temple. At the very end is a broken mirror thingie that gives me an extra interaction if I worship Eothas. I myself don't, but I have a priest of Eothas in my party and yet I have no way of getting him to interact with this object. I can't just ask him "hey check this thing out for me"? Same goes for pretty much everything else in this game. Go back to the tutorial dungeon with a Fire Godlike in the party and try to light the pillars that untrap the glyphs. YOU CAN'T because the MAIN character is not a Fire Godlike. What's the point of making a very diverse and cultured party when none of it matters in the end and only the main character's background has any infulence? It's so SO stupid, what were they thinking?

I think they did let you do it at one point at development, but I guess they decided that makes it far too easy to pass every check, making them redundant - it would be pointless if, on the balance of it, you could pass almost every check between the 6 of you. 

I'd have to play more to see whether that's a valid argument though. 

I'm not asking them to make EVERY check be like this, especially not ones where you gain an unbalancing advantage. I would like any information/lore gathering and quality of life interactions to allow for party members to participate though. Party members are currently pigeon-holed into being only useful as extra combatants, which I think is a horrible design decision.

This isn't nearly as disappointing as Wasteland 2 when I picked up radio chatter in Russian and fully expected to see it translated, as one of my Rangers was Russian. Nope, just "you hear a conversation in a Slavic language" or something. Made me wonder what was the purpose of nationalities in the first place.