Steam cloud sync doesn't work on Linux

pmts

Question

I started playing on Windows, saved the game and verified that cloud sync works (Steam says that there's 1.27 MB stored in the cloud). Then I installed the game on Linux, started it and my saves were missing (Continue and Load buttons are grayed out).

14 answers to this question

I'd say the same but I've got the 3 splash screen then crash issue. The one time I've got the game to launch I made a character and went to find berries but Steam says even my Windows copy has nothing to sync.

Comically the game is non-functional on Windows but seems to run great under LInux :)

Edited by nPHYN1T3

Hi,

I've noticed that the problem is the way the cloud sync is namig the savegame directory.

When I start PoE on a new machine, it creates the savegame files in

~/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SaveGames

Steam cloud sync installs the synced savegames in

~/.local/share/PillarsofEternity/SaveGames <-- note the little 'o'

I worked around this by replacing

with a symlink to

~/.local/share/PillarsofEternity/SaveGames

This solution wil most likely break when the issue is fixed though. HTH!

Ah posix issue, interesting. Sadly the game has corrupted all my saves anyhow so I'm not playing or fiddling with things until Obsidian takes fixing the mess seriously. It pains me to know other guys had the game do this losing then 40+ hours of game play...not cool at all!

I have another post about save looping and sadly the directories are insane. There are 3 save directories but the current build of the game is nesting save directories in save directories as well as duplicating paths as if it was on Windows.

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.cache/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/TempSaveData/TempSaveData/

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/CurrentGame/TempSaveData/

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames/

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/\home\YOURUSERNAME\.cache\unity3d\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData\TempSaveData\/

/home/YOURUSERNAME/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/\home\YOURUSERNAME\.config\unity3d\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\CurrentGame\TempSaveData\/

Edited by nPHYN1T3

Hi,

I've noticed that the problem is the way the cloud sync is namig the savegame directory.

When I start PoE on a new machine, it creates the savegame files in

Steam cloud sync installs the synced savegames in

I worked around this by replacing

with a symlink to

This solution wil most likely break when the issue is fixed though. HTH!

The Steam Cloud directory has been updated with the correct path for Linux. Thank you.

Twitter: @robyatadero

Hi,

I've just installed Pillars of Eternity on Linux (Fedora), and while the game works just fine, it's not pulling the saves from my other PC (a Windows 8.1 machine). I will check the paths later today when I'm back from work, but I wanted to pointed that the issue doesn't seem solved 'out of the box.'

Note that my Windows 8.1 machine has had PoE installed since the first release, and was updated as the patch went by (never enabled the beta channel, either).

I have checked the path on my Linux machine and it's the following:

/home/arnaud/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity

So it seems that in the latest version 1.0.6 the path still uses the capital "O" in "Pillars of Eternity"!

Edited by Furism

This bug and many others have been reported since launch. Obsidian however seems more focused on their card games and various other useless crap. I'm sure the version 2.0 with all the AI changes will introduce a ton of new problems (with almost every bug I reported at launch still not addressed) maybe in 5 years things will be smooth.

Obsidian at one point addressed and appologised for their terrible communication and untimely action but it seems like that's all they did about it. What faith I had in Obsidian is long gone as they seem to opporate like distracted pot heads. Everything has -1 priority over pizza...

If I seem hostile or trollish I can accept that. I feel gaming has become a giant troll these days. Developers talk a lot of **** and deliver a tiny turd. Everything feels like a scummy cash grab that you need a wire brush shower afterwards to get clean from. Hey we've got posters and hats and card games and cookbooks but we can't fix a feature breaking typo for months. It's low on our priority list because #1 you already bought the game so we've got your money and #2 we need more spin off crap to sell to keep the revenue stream going so we can order more pizza to eat while not fixing the initial game.

Seriously Obsidian with so many gamers being screwed over by companies like EA, Ubisoft and a sea of DRM bull**** trust is already at an all time low. Perhaps focus on QA and get the core game playable before you start churning out all this other crap.

It's not such a big bug, and if you feel that Pillars of Eternity is a "steaming turd" I don't know what to say to you. Sure I wish everything was fixed and working perfectly, but software development doesn't work like that. I've never found any game breaking bug personally and am very satisfied with the game.

But to each their own, of course!

Indeed, there are many people who seem to have little to no problems however I have had many game breaking bugs. Like having all my saves corrupted. I submitted many tickets for several bugs, some major, some more annoyances and had my tickets ignored. Posting on the forums didn't yeild much response except for the save corruption bug. One of the devs fixed my saves but not the game bug causing it...so rinse repeat things get wiped again.

I'm well aware software don't come out of the gate perfect but there are some major degrees to title launches being sucess of failure. For me Pillars was a massive failure for many reasons. While I've had some massive game killing issues the fact this still isn't fixed really seems lame. Sure it's a small thing but that's also why it's such an issue. If the devs can't get around to changing a single letter in a path what can we expect for ETA on major bugs.

This is all about impressions really. I get notices from the KickStarter updates about all this stupid extra crap when they haven't even dealt with small things like this and it really seems like they are scattered, disorganized or simply don't care. This is furthered by the fact this isn't some first time outting by some new studio, these guys have done this but their tripping over their feet like they don't know what they are doing. What's even more frustrating is they have even aknowledged how poorly they have tended to issues be is bugs or tickets but then nothing changed. Basically they threw out a "oh my bad" and then did nothing (that I have seen) to remedy the issue.

Edited by nPHYN1T3