I haven't gotten a gun yet so I am still figuring this out, but here is what I found so far. The faster attacks are good in some cases, especially if your character is a rogue I think (to capitalize on brief duration of stun, prone, etc for the sneak attack bonus). Overall, I think it is safer to just get the highest damage weapon you can find, but I would experiment and see if the long cooldowns are preventing you from using your abilities at the right time.

Guns are slow. They can be fairly devastating in an opening volley, but you pretty much have to switch weapons after that's been fired.

Also I believe the punchiest slow ranged weapon right now is the arbalest. I'm finding a volley from an arquebus and a couple pistols plenty effective though.

I have PC, Durance, and Edér rocking firearms, Kana Rua a crossbow, and Sagani her hunting bow. The first three always switch to melee after the opening volley, Sagani sticks to the bow unless forced into melee, and Kana Rua does either-or. The opening volley can make a big difference but this game would not be easy with a party of archers. Mobs all over. 

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Is the gun the best option, or are the other two balanced with faster speed to make up for the lower damage?

From stats which I've checked:

Blunderbuss > Arbalest >  Arquebus > other

Edited by Myrten

Without any talents skewing things, I'm finding the arbalests I found early far outshine any guns I've picked up.  That was kind of a disappoint- the arquebus, when I finally got one, felt like a downgrade.

Edited by Voss

Arquebus has made Pallegina not terrible for me so that's been nice. I've got a Blunderbuss Cipher hired adventurer too.

Generally I choose guns for all characters with good enough weapon accuracy, and crossbows for the rest. I even gave Aloth a crossbow despite his blast talent, because his might is too low to deal significant damage on anything with DR with a Wand anyway.

Perhaps I should be trying Arbalest for Pallegina though, I just happened to come across a Fine Arquebus and haven't swapped.

Edited by Odd Hermit