I feel cheated with a difficulty bug

Mungri

Question

Even though I start a new game on hard difficulty, it defaults to easy. When I noticed this ingame and changed it back to hard, it still reverted to easy.

Why is this happening? Now I need to start the game all over again because I didnt realize I was doing it on easy since I selected hard when creating a new game.

8 answers to this question

Hah, this explains why some people are complaining about the game being ridiculously easy.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

The same thing happened to me 3 times already. Started with path of the damned + trial of iron, after several hours the game switches to easy for no reason. I had to begin a new game as there's no way to switch from easy back to path of the damned.

Steam version for OS X.

I have a game on Hard difficulty. It still says it's on Hard difficulty when I check it in game settings. Yet all the mobs are like when it's on Easy, i.e. only two bandits holding the dwarf, just one young wolf near the climbable wall, one weak bear in the cave, etc.

I did start out on Easy, to get through the first part up to Gilded Vale quicker, then changed it to Hard once I got some companions, but the difficulty seems to have remained on Easy.

GOG 0530.

Edited by Ardan Reddy