Choosing a faction in Defiance Bay

I'm a bit confused by this thread. When I did the first quest for the knights, the guy said, "here's a second quest but HEY IF YOU ACCEPT YOU'RE LOCKED IN WITH US." So I held off, then I did a quest for the dozens, and they also said, "do the next one and YOU'RE WITH US." I mean, it's as clear as it is in BG2, or wherever else. 

Or are you guys saying you seem to get locked in when you accept quest 2, and not complete it? That's a more reasonable complaint. I didn't even accept those quests because I thought the dialogue was pretty clear that accepting locks you in, but it's good that Obsidian will address this in the patch.

That's not what he said.

He said "they wont' like it". Someone not liking what you're doing and becoming your enemy, and you doing an errand for someone and declaring your eternal allegiance are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

You keep saying it's clear. Yet the sheer fact that so many people complain it's clear indication that it is not.

And yes, the second thing is also a problem. I did not complete the quest, I just said "Yeah, I could do that".

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I want to know which faction has the best end result XD. They are all kinda ****

The knights end up taking over the city and enforcing martial law. Don't know the other two.

If I remember correctly, the Dozens end up restoring order slowly and eventually rise above the other two factions within the city. However, due to their lack of a centralized leadership, they end up taking in the remaining Crucible Knights and have them assist the Dozens in maintaining the city.

I want to know which faction has the best end result XD. They are all kinda ****

The knights end up taking over the city and enforcing martial law. Don't know the other two.

Not in my case; the Knights helped restore order, then returned to their (non-animancy) roots and gave up their ambitions of power, regaining the respect of the people.

Edited by sparklecat

Would it perhaps work to get you out of the Dozens quest if you kill the questgiver?

In response to this question: I killed the Dozens questgiver and a few other NPCs that aggro'd with him. I was still unable to get quests from the other 2 factions.

I got the same bug (did quests for Knights and Dozens and now I cant get the invitation) for a week or so I am stuck. Since I dont want to cheat or mess with any code like it was mentioned earlier here in this thread, I am waiting for a week or so for patches. 1.03 didnt solve the problem but one developer said 1.04 would be it ( http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72793-major-plot-progression-bug-act-2-the-duc-invitation/page-2 ). Unfortunatelly I couldn't progress wenn I downloaded its Beta.

So, any words from the developers? You made a really great game but some of us players are stuck for more than a week now :(

• 2 weeks later...

I joined the Dozens by accident because I do all side quests as I get them

Well, maybe that's your problem right there... :p

Looks like this game is not afraid to (sometimes) punish mindless meta-gaming and reward role-playing & careful choices. That's a good thing imo.

Not if it's poorly designed though. The knights were clearly also interested in the weapons, so there should have been an option to do the same quest for them. Yet there wasn't. There should have been an option to give the weapons to the scripted patrol encounter instead of having it unconditionally turn hostile. Yet there wasn't. There should have been an option to bring the weapons to the knights instead of the Dozen. Yet, well, there wasn't. Finally, lying to the Dozen about not knowing how the weapons worked suggested that they would probably just ditch them, so I actually helped the knights there (since if someone else retrieved the weapons, he might have told the full story). But of course, there was no way to tell that to the knights. I honestly did the quest expecting any of these options to pop up.. well, in addition to some metagaming, since the quest looked more interesting interesting than an errant job the knights offered.

Exactly this. I knew I want to support Knights and possibly ditch Dozens and give weapons to Knights or fail quest any other way. But there is no option for that. Sadly, I'm stuck with Dozens or Dunryd Row choices.

But I guess It won't change outcome anyway. I will wait for 1.05 and then I will just continue. Better than to repeat 20+ hrs of game content.

Maybe in my next run I need to try to be more careful...but I think I never got a "warning" that "do this quest and this faction/both factions will not give u more stuff to do"

No, the game never makes this clear, but you can only do the initial quest for each. Any quest done for a faction at that point locks you in with them

Good thing I'm joining the Dozens on my first playthrough... Still haven't accepted either of the 2nd quests yet, and Dom's hate me for defending the merchant. 1st playthroughs a kind good hearted (wo)man of the people, 2nd ones gonna be a more stern lawful type (keeping Raedric alive, joining knights) and 3rd will be a basic self serving ass, sooo.... Probably Dom's for that one.

I understand the issue though. Your first district is copperlanes, you explore everything, get the dozen quest and go to first fires to further the quest, and then you go to the next district to get the info from the cipher. In this time you have completed the Dozen quest, but you've only met and maybe accepted the 1st quest for the other factions.

So you turn in the Dozen's quest and talk to the next guy... And if you've ever played VTMB, Fallout New Vegas you're all ready to double cross the dozens and just use them to get more info/experience/rewards before making your final choice.... It also doesn't help that the expedition house presents itself as like some sort of "fighters guild" where you just do random jobs to kill monsters and bandits.

• Like 3

I hit this and worked around it by editing the conversation for clyver.

in Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

around line 2338 is the block for text node 54.   What we'll do is let you access this even after he's said no before.  This block has no check for relationship with the dozens, presumably because if the dozens like you he says no immediately, while if you're in hte middle of his quests he will say to ask later which is what this block is for.

Anyway, a bit further down, starting line 2406, there are ExpressionComponent blocks.  You need to remove the entire block to do with the refused variable.  I can't copy paste it because I deleted from mine and like a daring rebel (with a very fast internet connection to redownload the game) I didn't keep a back up copy.

The same principle should apply to the other groups if you prefer them but I don't know the nodes you would need to modify.

Thanks for this, it helped me continue the game.   Don't have to wait for a patch now.

On the issue, a fair warning beyond what seems to have been discussed: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78217-104-quest-a-two-story-job-locked-out-of-doemenels-completely/

Basically, it's possible to get locked out of helping the Doemenels completely, without even having met them or the other faction leaders.

Makes me wonder what happens if you kill the Dozens and the Crucible Knights, but not the Doemenels. My bet is that it results in an unresolvable conflict that forces you to kill the Domenels too, just to carry on.

Its an irreversible move that can cost you hours of playtime, Im not one for handholding but that bit should  to be explained more clearly to the gamer 

I think it's explained perfectly well, actually. The problem is that you're locked out when accepting the quest(s), not when actually performing them.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I mean you figure getting locked into a faction should have to do with your reputation for that faction. But it comes down to accepting 1 extra quest that's it. Where as when you do the quests for the God's they kind of specificaly state don't double cross us etc.

It should be setup that you cant take any 2nd quest from any faction until you did 1 quest for each faction first. Then maybe have a random encounter for each faction where a character is saying something like we can give you more quests/jobs but you have to pledge with us and not those other 2 factions.

If you go into the playthrough blind you will never even know there are factions and you get locked out of stuff. Like Wasteland 2 you can often go in complete different paths but it is made known you are locking the other part out.

I'd say it was pretty obvious my first time playing that there were three factions, myself, and that their second quests would lock me out of doing anything with the others (to the point that I delayed to do all my shopping with them first), it's just not clear or intuitive that accepting the quest is what'll do it, rather than completing the quest or murdering other faction members in the course of the quest.

I would very much not like being forced to do something for all of the groups; my character did not especially want anything to do with either the criminals or the revolutionaries.

The House Doemenel thread is so funky depending it what happens you won't even get a chance to their 1st quest let alone know that they are even a faction. And the Dozens is most likely one of the 1st building you will enter in defiance bay.

Perhaps an even better idea is to have a diplomat of each faction at the palace and that is who gives you the quests. The npcs in the building headquarters could just give random non faction locking quests to unclock traders/shops.  At least new players will have an idea then.

I didn't read 1 sentence before the game launch. The Dozens never showed up on my character sheet as a faction even though I eventually joined them. House Doemenel quest never spawned I only ever got the vendor quest and then finally their faction showed up on my sheet. 

Its possible not even to see the other factions do the quick dozens one and accept the 2nd one and boom locked out.

I hit this and worked around it by editing the conversation for clyver.

in Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

around line 2338 is the block for text node 54.   What we'll do is let you access this even after he's said no before.  This block has no check for relationship with the dozens, presumably because if the dozens like you he says no immediately, while if you're in hte middle of his quests he will say to ask later which is what this block is for.

Anyway, a bit further down, starting line 2406, there are ExpressionComponent blocks.  You need to remove the entire block to do with the refused variable.  I can't copy paste it because I deleted from mine and like a daring rebel (with a very fast internet connection to redownload the game) I didn't keep a back up copy.

The same principle should apply to the other groups if you prefer them but I don't know the nodes you would need to modify.

I did it too and it works. But I think whoever you choose it WON´T change the outcome.

The House Doemenel thread is so funky depending it what happens you won't even get a chance to their 1st quest let alone know that they are even a faction. And the Dozens is most likely one of the 1st building you will enter in defiance bay.

Perhaps an even better idea is to have a diplomat of each faction at the palace and that is who gives you the quests. The npcs in the building headquarters could just give random non faction locking quests to unclock traders/shops.  At least new players will have an idea then.

I didn't read 1 sentence before the game launch. The Dozens never showed up on my character sheet as a faction even though I eventually joined them. House Doemenel quest never spawned I only ever got the vendor quest and then finally their faction showed up on my sheet. 

Its possible not even to see the other factions do the quick dozens one and accept the 2nd one and boom locked out.

Probably what happened to me. I went east instead of heading straight to Defiance Bay, so I ran into Doemenel agents unexpectedly - then didn't leave a favorable impression. My rep with them is still far from hated, but I can't even talk to them in town - get shown the door every time.

The other weird thing is that the Dozens have no rep at all with me, even though I've interacted with them on multiple occasions (just haven't handed in their first quest yet). The other 2 factions added a rep of Neutral on first meeting, but the Dozens still don't register as knowing me.

If you want to join the crucible knights and you are beeing rejected by clyver because of accepting the second quest of the dozens, you can just edit the conversation file accordingly  :)

Open following file with editor or notepad:

\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

(Make a backup file at this point, just for safety if you screw it up)

Then search for: "n_MercenaryHire_State"

You will find two matches in the file looking like this

<Parameters>
                <string>n_MercenaryHire_State</string>
                <string>GreaterThan</string>
                <string>0</string>      
              </Parameters>

Change them both to this:

<Parameters>
                <string>n_MercenaryHire_State</string>
                <string>GreaterThan</string>
                <string>1</string>      
              </Parameters>

This will just increase clyvers limit for the variable indicating your progress of the dozens questline. 
(You can increase the limit probably even further if you take a higher number than 1...)
Edited by Powerpaul
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't really mind being locked into a faction (that was pretty clear). What I mind is that all of the factions are pissed off at me, the quest text says I should go talk to Lady Webb, and she's just *shrug*. Looks like it's time to hack files.

Edit: Confirmed that Embertane's file (post right above mine) worked to get me in. Just download it, search for the original file ( steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\ ), back it up, then drop the new one in and go talk to Lady Webb again and choose the faction you want. I actually went with the one I thought I'd RPed for the most instead of just the one I wanted, but your choice. At least it bypasses the bugs.

Edited by oldtaku

I never heard of House Doemenel until after I'd done the first quest for Dozens & Crucible, and a bunch of other quests in Defiance Bay.  I first encountered Doemenel in Dyrford.  Am I screwed as far as they're concerned because I helped Nyfre in Cat and Mouse?

I never heard of House Doemenel until after I'd done the first quest for Dozens & Crucible, and a bunch of other quests in Defiance Bay.  I first encountered Doemenel in Dyrford.  Am I screwed as far as they're concerned because I helped Nyfre in Cat and Mouse?

I am not sure but there is a quest in Ondra's Gift that involves them.  Try doing that one and see if you get the option to side with them.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

• 5 months later...