Choosing a faction in Defiance Bay

I'm a bit confused by this thread. When I did the first quest for the knights, the guy said, "here's a second quest but HEY IF YOU ACCEPT YOU'RE LOCKED IN WITH US." So I held off, then I did a quest for the dozens, and they also said, "do the next one and YOU'RE WITH US." I mean, it's as clear as it is in BG2, or wherever else. 

Or are you guys saying you seem to get locked in when you accept quest 2, and not complete it? That's a more reasonable complaint. I didn't even accept those quests because I thought the dialogue was pretty clear that accepting locks you in, but it's good that Obsidian will address this in the patch.

• Like 2

I'm a bit confused by this thread. When I did the first quest for the knights, the guy said, "here's a second quest but HEY IF YOU ACCEPT YOU'RE LOCKED IN WITH US." So I held off, then I did a quest for the dozens, and they also said, "do the next one and YOU'RE WITH US." I mean, it's as clear as it is in BG2, or wherever else. 

Or are you guys saying you seem to get locked in when you accept quest 2, and not complete it? That's a more reasonable complaint. I didn't even accept those quests because I thought the dialogue was pretty clear that accepting locks you in, but it's good that Obsidian will address this in the patch.

Well, I guess the bug is people had to read and pay attention. I am not sure how they could have made it more obvious. Of course, this could just be a trap for the dreaded degenerate game play. I mean, most everyone in this thread seem to be doing quests for the sake of doing questions. It is not like any reasonable conscious individual could not have deduced from the first meeting with the Dozen that there are other factions with opposed aims. 

Same thing happened to me, actually I thought since it was an obsidian game I could likely find a way to double cross the Dozens after I know what their plans are, now I am stuck aligning with them? Even though I didn't do anything against the Knights yet? 

• Like 2

So, to be clear, if you take 2nd quest of any faction you are locked out taking 3rd quest of other factions? Or is there no 3rd quest, and only this animancy hearings thing? Cause i think i've taken 2nd quest from both dozens and knights but unsure what to do at this point. Is breastplate quest considered 1st quest for dozens and recruits quest - 1st quest fot knights?

Or the is it weapons for dozens and animancy research for knights that are 1st quests and i didn't take 2nd yet?

With all the bugs probably going to start new game after the patch anyway, but wanted to know which quests are 'unsafe'.

So, to be clear, if you take 2nd quest of any faction you are locked out taking 3rd quest of other factions? Or is there no 3rd quest, and only this animancy hearings thing? Cause i think i've taken 2nd quest from both dozens and knights but unsure what to do at this point. Is breastplate quest considered 1st quest for dozens and recruits quest - 1st quest fot knights?

Or the is it weapons for dozens and animancy research for knights that are 1st quests and i didn't take 2nd yet?

With all the bugs probably going to start new game after the patch anyway, but wanted to know which quests are 'unsafe'.

It is not that they are unsafe, it just that they are exclusive. Accepting the second quest from the faction locks out opposing faction max affection or whatever we are calling it. 

What's quite clear is that this is a major oversight by everyone who tested the game, backers included.

It's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Now.

We didn't get to test this. We only got to roam around near Dyrford village. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

To help your confusion, the bug is that you can do all the quests for everyone and no one will invite you to the debate. This breaks the game.

Careful: 
I think most factions have 2 questgivers, for example the Mafia has:

- the two-man-job where you break in at their neighbour for the head of the family

AND

- the one where you go after the guy in Ondras gift for the Daughter

only the 2nd quest from the main questgiver will lock you out of quests from the other factions. In this case

going up into the previously locked room and talking to the people there

So: ALL quests you can get the first time you enter either factions HQ can be done in the same game. but all quests you get once you complete one of those lock you in for that faction. But they will say that quite plainly in the dialogue, right before you accept the quest (or don't, if you dont want to associate yourself with them).

---

I think it's obvious enough, However I was a bit disappointed that there were so few quests/interactions with your faction. I mean in BG you get to do a whole lot of quests for the Thieves Guild, and here it is basically 2-3 quests and then they don't play a role for the rest of the game?

To help your confusion, the bug is that you can do all the quests for everyone and no one will invite you to the debate. This breaks the game.

This sounds like a bug with the interface between the keyboard and the chair. 

This sounds like a bug with the interface between the keyboard and the chair. 

There's no need to act like an idiot. Obsidian have fixed it, I've linked to their post in the bug forum if you look up in the thread.  It'll be in the patch I guess.

Got relatively safe solution here. I've no idea, why it is me, humble user, and not some Obsidian official doing this :banghead:

1) use console (` key), enter "iroll20s" to enable cheats

2) enter "SetGlobalValue b_Angry_Dozens 1", "SetGlobalValue b_Angry_Knights 1" and "SetGlobalValue b_Angry_Doemenels 1" to anger corresponding factions

3) go speak with lady Webb

4) Profit!

• Like 4

With the new patch already released, it seem that they didn't fix the part where "accepting" dozen's 2nd quest lock you out from knight's 2nd quest. I even tried slaughter a few dozen to lower my reputation with them but the knights still don't give me their 2nd quest. This really suck for me since I accepted dozen's 2nd quest thinking that I might just lower my reputation with the knight but not lock me out of the faction entirely. :(

So, is this something to be fixed or not? If not so, I'll probably have to modify my save or mod the game somehow. Not sure if it is possible though.

Or just bite it and replay 10 hours... I don't really want to go down that path...

Got relatively safe solution here. I've no idea, why it is me, humble user, and not some Obsidian official doing this :banghead:

2) enter "SetGlobalValue b_Angry_Dozens 1", "SetGlobalValue b_Angry_Knights 1" and "SetGlobalValue b_Angry_Doemenels 1" to anger corresponding factions

4) Profit!

Hey dude, where did you get those? ;)

I hit this and worked around it by editing the conversation for clyver.

in Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

around line 2338 is the block for text node 54.   What we'll do is let you access this even after he's said no before.  This block has no check for relationship with the dozens, presumably because if the dozens like you he says no immediately, while if you're in hte middle of his quests he will say to ask later which is what this block is for.

Anyway, a bit further down, starting line 2406, there are ExpressionComponent blocks.  You need to remove the entire block to do with the refused variable.  I can't copy paste it because I deleted from mine and like a daring rebel (with a very fast internet connection to redownload the game) I didn't keep a back up copy.

The same principle should apply to the other groups if you prefer them but I don't know the nodes you would need to modify.

i want to try this, but my Editors show me the number of the lines in this textfile.

4) Profit!

Thank you! Do you have proper commands to restore previous values after I get invitaion?

• Like 1

4) Profit!

Thank you! Do you have proper commands to restore previous values after I get invitaion?

Maybe setting those flags to 0?

I have a guess that when you're hated with a faction you get the flag up.

Also, they said that now you only have to be hated with one faction which makes me suspect the changed the AND condition to an OR one on the flags :p

Also, they said that now you only have to be hated with one faction which makes me suspect the changed the AND condition to an OR one on the flags :p

Yep, I used command only for Dozens and dialog popped up from Lady Webb.

• Like 1

I joined the Dozens by accident because I do all side quests as I get them

Well, maybe that's your problem right there... :p

Looks like this game is not afraid to (sometimes) punish mindless meta-gaming and reward role-playing & careful choices. That's a good thing imo.

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I joined the Dozens by accident because I do all side quests as I get them

Well, maybe that's your problem right there... :p

Looks like this game is not afraid to (sometimes) punish mindless meta-gaming and reward role-playing & careful choices. That's a good thing imo.

Not if it's poorly designed though. The knights were clearly also interested in the weapons, so there should have been an option to do the same quest for them. Yet there wasn't. There should have been an option to give the weapons to the scripted patrol encounter instead of having it unconditionally turn hostile. Yet there wasn't. There should have been an option to bring the weapons to the knights instead of the Dozen. Yet, well, there wasn't. Finally, lying to the Dozen about not knowing how the weapons worked suggested that they would probably just ditch them, so I actually helped the knights there (since if someone else retrieved the weapons, he might have told the full story). But of course, there was no way to tell that to the knights. I honestly did the quest expecting any of these options to pop up.. well, in addition to some metagaming, since the quest looked more interesting interesting than an errant job the knights offered.

• Like 3

I was a hero for both the Knights and the Dozens when I realized I needed to get into the hearings. I went to the Doemenels because they were a better choice for me and said something like "I need to get into the hearing..", got a new questline and got sponsored by them.

After I was sponsored, I tried making more quests for the Doemenels but they said I was too friendly with the Dozens to trust me. So my impression is that you can become a hero for all factions, ask to be sponsored by any one of them, get a questline to be sponsored, but not be able to do a questline for "more" tasks than hero.

I've read through many posts, and I am trying to understand if there is any mention of a fix for the issue where you get locked into a faction after accepting the 2nd quest. I would like to know so I can understand if I am stuck with the Dozens, or if I should go do other sidequests until this is corrected and I can do my playthough with the faction I wanted. It was not clear that I would be locked out of knights and the House when accepting the quest, and I didn't determine I was locked until several more hours of gameplay. Thanks!