Choosing a faction in Defiance Bay

So I have done both quests for Knights, first quest for Dozen and first quest for Doemenel.

But now I am related to Knights and I wont receive other quests from Dozen and Doemenel. Which is not a big deal for me..

BUT it looks that I will be not able to access that underground area in Stormwall Gorge, because you get the Adra disc via quest from Dozens...

Is there some workaround? Or this is the only way to access that underground area?

Thanks

Man came here to say this threw me as well :( Took a couple of Dozens quest because they were literally the first side questline I bumped in to on getting to Defiance Bay and now I find out I'm locked in to them as a faction.  All the dialogue said was, "The knights probably won't be too happy with this."  Not even, "The knights probably won't be too happy with you about this."  Let alone anything about choosing a faction.  Bah.

• Like 2

I think it may run deeper - perhaps the order you do the quests in or perhaps the dialogue options you get/choose - because I still went down and got the secret weapons and murdered all of those crucible knights - and they were still totally cool with me :/

Same problem. I`ve done all starting quests for factions and wanted to choose nobles later. But, then mercenary captain said "Knights and nobles !probably! won`t be happy about this", I assumed it`s just flavour text and asked about the mission (assumed so because others said directly, that you will not be able to join other factions and noble even said thathis mission requires my absolute loyality). 
But the real problem comes after - then I found out I`m stuck with the guys I don`t really like, I decided to correct my misunderstanding with other factions by slaughtering the mercenaries (naturally). It didn`t work (others still say that I`m a friend of the Dozen) and now I`m stuck (without an earlier save) with less content and, as messages above told me, possibly with a bump in a main quest.

Please give us a console command to restart npc scripts or patch it... Abilty to cancel the mission would be nice too=)
Still amazing game, and this is the first thing that spoiled my enjoyment=)

I'm an idiot who can't make spoiler tags

Of course the important question is, what difference does it make? 

*Spoliers*

From what I'm given to understand, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in the short term - maybe for endings? I went as a member of the Dozens, but I totally opposed them at the hearings, I honestly didn't like any of the factions' opinions on animacy, or their social standing essentially, so I basically just suckered them into letting me get in there and give my spiel - and the dozens guy yelled at me *plenty* but the results in the short term were the same as friends of mine who joined the crucis and doms who said basically the same things at the hearing

Edited by Gallenger

@Gallenger The problem is that we are literally unable to progress the main quest later on due to this.

I did a few quests for the Dozen, then decided I didn't like them and went to the Crucible Knights. Also, I killed off House Doemenel because they were trying to kill me, and because there was a conversation option for that. I usually refrain from killing NPCs because of problems like this, but I figured since there was a conversation option, it couldn't cause too many problems. Boy was I wrong. 

Now I cannot get an invite to the animancy hearing from the Crucible, because of my ties to the Dozen; from the Dozen, because of my ties to the Crucible; and from the Doemenels because they ded. 

The backup option of getting in with Hadret House is also unavailiable for me. I suspect it is because I would have to ask all three factions for an invite first, which I obviously can't, since I slaughtered the Doemenels...

The worst thing about all this is that I completed the Endless Paths in the meantime. The story content between the last save where I didn't choose a faction yet is rather minimal (~3 hours, very little since I've been binging these last few days), and I'd be ready to redo it, but all that Od Nua progress would be lost...

This is my first post in this forum in years, and I've only come back here because I'm angry too :(

Obsidian, make factions resent us because of the things we've DONE, not the things we MIGHT DO. Making the Knights stop cooperating because we merely accepted a quest is not fair and hinders role play. I actually intended to steal those weapons (from The Bronze Beneath the Lake) and bring them to the Knights (I actually suspected I might be able to do that), so now instead of supporting my favourite faction I'm locked out of it.

Edited by McClure
  • Like 3

I hit this and worked around it by editing the conversation for clyver.

in Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

around line 2338 is the block for text node 54.   What we'll do is let you access this even after he's said no before.  This block has no check for relationship with the dozens, presumably because if the dozens like you he says no immediately, while if you're in hte middle of his quests he will say to ask later which is what this block is for.

Anyway, a bit further down, starting line 2406, there are ExpressionComponent blocks.  You need to remove the entire block to do with the refused variable.  I can't copy paste it because I deleted from mine and like a daring rebel (with a very fast internet connection to redownload the game) I didn't keep a back up copy.

The same principle should apply to the other groups if you prefer them but I don't know the nodes you would need to modify.

• Like 4

in Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

around line 2338 is the block for text node 54.   What we'll do is let you access this even after he's said no before.  This block has no check for relationship with the dozens, presumably because if the dozens like you he says no immediately, while if you're in hte middle of his quests he will say to ask later which is what this block is for.

Anyway, a bit further down, starting line 2406, there are ExpressionComponent blocks.  You need to remove the entire block to do with the refused variable.  I can't copy paste it because I deleted from mine and like a daring rebel (with a very fast internet connection to redownload the game) I didn't keep a back up copy.

The same principle should apply to the other groups if you prefer them but I don't know the nodes you would need to modify.

Sounds interesting! Gonna play around with this and see if i can get it to work!

Sounds cool, but I'm not a big fan of messing with a game's code :(

I think it's quite clear from the first quest the actual Knight commander gives you that he doesn't want you fraternizing. However, you can easily accept quests, do all the dirty work, but not turn them in until after you get the invite. That's what I did on my paladin.

The downside is that they are literally the last faction you run across, so if you just complete quests as they come, you are screwed. That probably needs to be changed, so that instead he says you will be kicked out if you continue to fraternize instead.

Wow it is not very obvious that the Dozens quest(s) will shut you out from other factions. As someone stated all they say is that the Knights "will not be happy" which sounds like a pretty offhand comment. There's nothing that indicates it's not a normal fetch quest. I don't see why one quest would piss off the Thieves house enough that they won't even chill with me after I bring them a sweet gem before they even ask for it.

It *has* to be something else because I happily did all the quests for all 3 houses, I should've tried the other 2 to see if they'd give me the invite - maybe I just carefully managed everything in such a way as to extremely good luck lol. 

So I have done both quests for Knights, first quest for Dozen and first quest for Doemenel.

But now I am related to Knights and I wont receive other quests from Dozen and Doemenel. Which is not a big deal for me..

BUT it looks that I will be not able to access that underground area in Stormwall Gorge, because you get the Adra disc via quest from Dozens...

Is there some workaround? Or this is the only way to access that underground area?

Thanks

Just update on my issue, after finishing Act II the dungeon in Stormwall Gorge is now open and can be accessed even if you didnt do quests for Dozens. 

Just bumping this because it seems to be the only topic discussing this issue.

I was likewise kind of annoyed that simply accepting the second quest from the Dozens disqualified me from working with the Crucible Knights, even though I have Champion reputation with them. It should definitely be changed so that completing the second quest is what locks you in - either that or giving an option in the respective questlines to betray the Dozens/Knights/Doemenals to a rival faction.

Or at least having it so that if you sink your reputation with a rival faction you can then progress with another one.

It's just annoying that there isn't an option to do *something* about it, especially considering the freedom of choice PoE presents you with in other interactions.