Soloing PoE, Difficulty Settings and Build Ideas

Wait wait wait wait wait

Carnage works with leech?

Please tell me that is true.

and Rot finger gloves... where do you find it again?

A barb with carnage + leech  + RFG seems like pure madness

A merchant

sells it, Corico. I believe he appears in front of the Valian Trade Company if you help House Doemenel . It has 3 charges of Rotfinger/Spread Plague per rest.  

Edited by PIP-Clownboy
  • Like 1

Finally found a build I was happy with.

On easy (start the game on easy, changing from normal to easy is apparently still more difficult),

Play a chanter with about 17 or 18 in both perception and resolve, and a decent (16?) int, dumping dex to 5 or 6 (you're not gonna be attacking much).

Use a hatchet and a shield, picking up the shield from the smithy's lost shipment later and enchanting it to fine.

Pick Sword and shield style and cautious attack and superior deflection later on.

Get the chant that slowly sucks endurance, and pick the ghost summon.

That's it, I got to lvl 6 now, and its just tanky to the max. I'm sitting at 118 deflection I think, and while I'm not nigh unhittable, I am extremely tanky while my ghost kills everything or my chant slowly drains everyone. Do remember to attack though, cause you still contribute non-insignificant dps with a fine hatchet.

Level 4 Chanter (orelan wild), Rodics Castle, Stats at the Moment, 1000XP missing to level 5, Rodic Castle and Main Quest left.

Mig:14

Con:18

Dex:3

W:20+1

Int:3

Pet:20+1

Defence:

Deflection: 92

Fot:58

Ref:68

Will:42

Talents: Sword and Shild, 

BUt I will restart, I will switch might with Int for more Will defence and Chant AOE range. Level 5 with Fear Aura will big boost for Chanter, -10 miss value = +10 extra deflection. 

Important early are the +10 for/will enchant, gives you good boos as long you have no item for it, and the +speed buff chant, you can outrun with it most starting trashmobs.

Biggest problem is accury, but level 5 frost trap chant ignores weapon accury for attack and use trap accury, so I will restart with int.

Edited by Aqvamare
  • Like 1

Biggest problem you will face  without Might is to clear fast enough enemies... FIrst enemies are easy they just attack you, but there are enemies that u need to kill fast, and in big amount. Thats the problem I see on the chanter.

ANyway keep posting here please and I will love to hear you beated act 1 and you keep doing well with a Chanter, its a class I love.

It works. Its funny how powerful the phantom summon is, that it even outclasses the lvl2 invocation summon.

You really don't need might at all because you're not doing the damage (I had mine at 10). Because, the difference between 100% and 130% (from 20 might) is not that great when you're not really attacking, just tanking like a boss. You do need to tank though, cause the phantom is a little paper at the later stages, though I can foresee difficulty getting to lvl 3 invocations. After all, I never expected the lvl 2 summons to be THAT ****e. Seriously.

And don't underestimate the endurance drain song (come, come soft winds of death). Because combat lasts around a minute or 2 for me, its drains about 120 damage over the course of a combat, perhaps even more.

Level 4 Chanter (orelan wild), Rodics Castle, Stats at the Moment, 1000XP missing to level 5, Rodic Castle and Main Quest left.

Mig:14

Con:18

Dex:3

W:20+1

Int:3

Pet:20+1

Defence:

Deflection: 92

Fot:58

Ref:68

Will:42

Talents: Sword and Shild, 

BUt I will restart, I will switch might with Int for more Will defence and Chant AOE range. Level 5 with Fear Aura will big boost for Chanter, -10 miss value = +10 extra deflection. 

Important early are the +10 for/will enchant, gives you good boos as long you have no item for it, and the +speed buff chant, you can outrun with it most starting trashmobs.

Biggest problem is accury, but level 5 frost trap chant ignores weapon accury for attack and use trap accury, so I will restart with int.

I am currently trying similar with:

Mig 17

Con 10

dex 3

per 20

int 8

res 20

I don't think the con is worth so much given poor base and the main point is to not take hits at all.  You can only have one summon and the high might helps with the damage invocations like the triple lightning level 1 chant.  I put points into int mainly get certain cone aoe invocation to hit a second row.  I don't think high int has nearly as much value as the high might and I budgeted this to have essentiall the same defenses when you consier +10 will +10 fort chant and the shield talent + reflex you can base starting at level 2 with sield talent and nothing else secondary defeense above 40 with medium shield each is about 1-2 points of each other.  8 Int seems to be just enough to hit what you need.  18 probably lets you get to a 3rd "row" of mobs (like if you put yourself in a corner and they form ranks), but that is way too many points and since you aren't really spitting out that many invocations and right now my plan is to summon first, I don't see the value.  But at 3 int it is enough to actually not be able to hit a thrid rank with the lightning cone.  So I opted for 8 int instead of pumping some con.  Seems to me as a solo super tanky guy either defense work or they don't and if they don't con won't save you.

I am trying it currently on Hard, not that far in though but while not incredibly fast he is a pure beast.  Early on Reny just destroys things.  I graze alot with the lightning invo but if  Icould get 3 hits its a rather nice amount of damage for someone so tanky, Reny is better, but once he is out its a good second.  

Edited by cctobias

I'm sorry this is wrong friend. BG1 was capped at level 5+. This game is a rival to that franchise starter not BG2.

And comparing game hours BG2 was 100+ hours while this awesome baby is around 60+ (BG1 was around 40+).

If anything you can compare level progression to PoE II when it arrives, and is a 100+ hours game which takes characters from 10 to say 25

It was 89k xp if I remember correctly, level 7 or so. But that's beside my point. My point was:

- that in this system due to the lack of dual/multiclassing you can't make a jack of all trades character which will be able to properly solo. A monk will be a monk only he will be level 20 instead of 12. But he won't get chanter ablities ever. And that's what I'm missing the most - 2nd and especially 4th edition is so much fun due to the abilities to mix classes and find synergies. Why should I get a simple monk when I can get a monk/priest/sacred fist getting multiple times the benefit of high wis?

- that the depth of the classes is way less. There were hundreds of spells in BG for wiz or priest. There are a few dozen here. And we are solely missing utility spells which are numerous in D&D. If we start to compare feats, well, classes feel empty here. The base ideas are awesome, but they need much more content, they need choices. We barely have those now.

- that the AI is dumb plain and simple. Fights are difficult due to the superiority of the enemy (their numbers or their stats) not because they make a good team which you have to break up. Fights here are tank and spank. Due to this and my point above combat is stale - you have one or two approaches for a fight and the whole system feels rigid.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the game, but - for me at least - there are serious underlying issues which cannot be patched with a 'we dropped 10% hp off the adra dragon' kind of balancing.

I'm sorry this is wrong friend. BG1 was capped at level 5+. This game is a rival to that franchise starter not BG2.

And comparing game hours BG2 was 100+ hours while this awesome baby is around 60+ (BG1 was around 40+).

If anything you can compare level progression to PoE II when it arrives, and is a 100+ hours game which takes characters from 10 to say 25

It was 89k xp if I remember correctly, level 7 or so. But that's beside my point. My point was:

- that in this system due to the lack of dual/multiclassing you can't make a jack of all trades character which will be able to properly solo. A monk will be a monk only he will be level 20 instead of 12. But he won't get chanter ablities ever. And that's what I'm missing the most - 2nd and especially 4th edition is so much fun due to the abilities to mix classes and find synergies. Why should I get a simple monk when I can get a monk/priest/sacred fist getting multiple times the benefit of high wis?

- that the depth of the classes is way less. There were hundreds of spells in BG for wiz or priest. There are a few dozen here. And we are solely missing utility spells which are numerous in D&D. If we start to compare feats, well, classes feel empty here. The base ideas are awesome, but they need much more content, they need choices. We barely have those now.

- that the AI is dumb plain and simple. Fights are difficult due to the superiority of the enemy (their numbers or their stats) not because they make a good team which you have to break up. Fights here are tank and spank. Due to this and my point above combat is stale - you have one or two approaches for a fight and the whole system feels rigid.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the game, but - for me at least - there are serious underlying issues which cannot be patched with a 'we dropped 10% hp off the adra dragon' kind of balancing.

This. I love the game for the team and the lore and writing, but the combat system is rather disappointing, and the character creation system, though inspired, feels almost incomplete, with more balancing needed.

So, had to give up my PotD int chanter run, I killed raedrics for the quest and than followed the mainquest further...

unlucky i got punished for my lower fot defenence in the first hall....4 phantoms, even with corner block, 1 phantom could me perma stunlock with 70 accuary attacks against my 100 deflection....and then it won the fot check for stunlock, never got my summon out to counterstunlock the phantom....

unlucky, i cannot level 4 to 5 my chanter, because he is stuck in a corner and you cannot leave map when in fight...bad mechanic if you want to run away.

think i have to restart in two days...

more int is nice...but in the end, you need the fot defence stat against stunlock...unlucky...

and one more worse think was, i didn't got the cold DR mantle with cold damage lifeleech in temple, thought that the drop is fest, but seems random, too...

Edited by Aqvamare

So, had to give up my PotD int chanter run, I killed raedrics for the quest and than followed the mainquest further...

unlucky i got punished for my lower fot defenence in the first hall....4 phantoms, even with corner block, 1 phantom could me perma stunlock with 70 accuary attacks against my 100 deflection....and then it won the fot check for stunlock, never got my summon out to counterstunlock the phantom....

unlucky, i cannot level 4 to 5 my chanter, because he is stuck in a corner and you cannot leave map when in fight...bad mechanic if you want to run away.

more int is nice...but in the end, you need the fot defence stat against stunlock...unlucky...

and one more worse think was, i didn't got the cold DR mantle with cold damage lifeleech in temple, thought that the drop is fest, but seems random, too...

Why is there no diminishing returns on Stuns? I thought by now every game should have learned to not allow the player character to be stun locked to death.

Edited by Nokturnal Lex

Pro tip- chant the movement speed chant and you should be able to kite until your summon is up, a little bit gamey but no more so than fighting 20 mobs 1 at a time in a doorway

Stacking deflection would work for most fights, but I think you will get fried by casters if you have low will/ref/fort. And the only class that will have high everything (paladin) deals very little damage unfortunately. Thinking that on higher difficulties you kinda need spells. Druid looks best, he is able to evaporate whole encounters in my party PotD run on his own very fast if you don't try to save spells. Lots of rest abuse will be needed of course.

PotD gives 50% to more or less All stats, even with 100 deflection on level 4, you still face 70 accurcy melle hits, which on hit get a stun check, were they again check 60 accurcy again my 55+ fot defence.

And summon and kiting, normally I would do it, problem with this map is, there is no space for kitting. and your phantom gets stunlocked to, and misses extrem with his 40 accurcy attack against phantoms deflection value.

normaly i bypass this malus by flanking, which gives -10 to enemy deflection....

i simply lost through missskilling my stats...in the end, i should put Int only to 10, and rest of int stats into might for more fort defence. perhabs even a little more defelction, too.

problem is, games on PotD is extrem punishment, on a small map, you cannot outrun enemy, and when you have 5 points to less defence value, you get stunlocked.

but i still think, chanter is one of the better classes for solo PotD run, even when he lacks late game punsh...

Edited by Aqvamare