Soloing PoE, Difficulty Settings and Build Ideas

I've experimented soloing PoE with almost every class, and it's killing me.

Fundementally, I can't seem to play any rpg non-solo, so please help me to "crack" this puzzle here, in terms of classes and build styles.

So far, I've gotten the furthest until about level 3 or 4 on normal difficulty with the rogue and the fighter which seem the most effective, by "alpha striking" + "hit and running" enemies down with loaded crossbow/arbalest switching technique, with max might and dex. Thereafter, combat becomes too frustrating because of stunlocking enemies.

I'm considering knocking down the difficulty to easy permenantly for the sake of my sanity, though I was kinda disappointed since it was stated that they would be greatly toning down the experience from combat (using the beastiary method), I had assumed that there would be more encounters or enemy groups that could be circumvented via items, dialogue, etc, rather than combat. But nope, PoE was a complete brawlfest.

So guys, do you have any other ideas how to build for solo other than the alphastrike and the hit and run method?

PS: Does anyone know what decreasing the difficulty actually does?

I soloed the beta content with a rogue and leadsplitter + using shadowing beyond to escape any tough situations.

I tried some other classes as well, but often the faster enemies were an issue(spiders) with no real escape tool.

Most important talent for solo is probably fast runner, heh.

I doubt there's a class that can do it w/out hit and run tactics.

Edited by Odd Hermit

Yep, I do mean withouto any NPCs whatsoever (or hiding them in a corner of the map while my PC goes exploring/fighting)

I do invite the NPCs to join my stronghold after I get it though, not the total misantrope, just a lone wolf.

@Odd hermit: Would fat runner actually help? The likes of skalks and boars move so terrifyingly fast that I'm unsure what +1 move actually mean in terms of move speed, since I'm not using console cheats for my exploration. I would rather not do hit-and-runs because of its cheesy nature, but if I have to, I have to.

I've considered making a high deflection based character, except the bear high accuracy level + damage couplped with to hit system (resolve providing only +1 deflection in a d100 system) dissuaded me. Still, A hatchet + shield combination might be an interesting path (base 25 deflection +10 resolve + 5 hatchet + 12 med shield + 6 talent =58), though it would be difficult to break any opponent DR.

Looking at how accuracy and the graze/critical system work, I'm starting to come around to the idea that a duelist-esque build might be the way to go. Since twf only confers a 20%  bonus in attack speed (from talent) on top of a lowered resolution time, the +12 accuracy bonus might be much more handy. I might be wrong however, since I've read that attack bonuses are reductive rather than divisive, meaning the provide a higher than expected dps increase.

However, I am completely disappointed how weak the graze to hit conversion feat / weapon types are.

Under most circumstances, the +5 accuracy bonus from spears would translate into a rough dps increase of at least 5%, changing 5 possible rolls that would lead to a miss into a graze (2.5%dps increase) and 5 possible grazes into hits (2.5%). I'm not considering critical yet, since enemies seem to have such freakishly high deflection. The calculation is based on how each damage step upgrade moves by 50% (0%->50% for miss to graze, 50%->100% for graze to hit, 100%-> 150% for hit to critical)

In ideal circumstances, this would translate to 7.5%, since now we would get crits, though such enemies with low deflection are rare.

By contrast, graze to hit increase by 10% entails a flat 3.5% dps increase, since grazes always land between a roll of 16-50. Hence, it is always better to take the rapier over the flail.

In the same vein, the single weapon focus (according to the wiki) grants a 30% graze to hit conversation, or a 10.5% dps increase. This pales in comparison to two weapon fighting's 20% attack speed increase or two handed fighting's 1.15 damage mod.

I've also realized the the DT bypass for the weapons are practically damage increases, since all enemy seem to have a decent dr value (some reaching absurdly high values), making twf fast weapons not a great style to be in due to the damage lost to DR, though I'm not sure if THF fighting would work with its lower speed. SWF might still win out due to its higher accuracy and the ability to focus on a singular weapon via enchantments and the such,but I can be convinced eitherwise.

I think it's a lot harder to solo this game than other infinity engine games simply because there's an interrupt system and also you can't increase your accuracy or defensive stats as easy as in those games. (that kensai/mage build... just lol) But i think it's totally doable on easy mode with a rogue or even a well built monk(probably the fastest attacking class right now).

Soloing??!?! I can't survive a fight with three NPCs, (and my ranger pet), unless it is a fight with only one enemy......I was able to make it to Caud Nua, (I think that's how it is spelled, anyway), but EVERYTHING in there hits with a critical, and manages to wipe out my entire party in about 5 seconds flat....

@Odd hermit: Would fat runner actually help? The likes of skalks and boars move so terrifyingly fast that I'm unsure what +1 move actually mean in terms of move speed, since I'm not using console cheats for my exploration. I would rather not do hit-and-runs because of its cheesy nature, but if I have to, I have to.

It helps in many situations.

Some enemies are still too fast, but that's what shadowing beyond(invis) is for - so make sure you get high int!

@Odd Hermit

I can see that. A high int max stealth rogue that avoids most combat, getting by with high resolve (this is speech, right?) with some might for alpha strikes to deal with forced encounters and bosses (I'm looking at you, Maerwald). Trying that now. Getting to level 4 would be annoying though.

At the moment, I've been testing the A.I. through the game and I've picked up some exploits I'll be using when I get around to doing my solo run. Already found one in the dungeon tutorial and the next map. For example,

At the Valewood, where you come across the three Xaurip in the Xaurip camp. You can position your character so only one xaurip attacks you while the other two are directly behind and are in a straight line. Once the first one dies, the other two move up and you kill the second one and then finally the third moves up and you kill him.

Hi, my Path of Doom, Expert, Ironman Solo Run is now 1000 XP below level 4.

My Experience so fare:

1.) Class choise, Chanter, race orelaner, with + defence bonus after will attacks. But perhabs moonlight could be better

Stats:

Might: average

Health: all rest points

Dex: low as possil

PUS: high as possible (20)

Int: low

Ent: high as possible (20)

Fighting, you body tank until 3 songs are ready, than summon phantom and let him handle the crowed.

2.) Tipps, use the map, if there is a small bottleneck, use it, thaht only 1 enemy attacks you.

If you are in caves, add and run to entrance, so that if you are lucky, on half adds you. Against big groups, bottleneck.

3.) Items: in forst town you can buy a horn wich summons a knight for you once per rest. Very usefull against stronger groups.

4.) Spellroles, fireblast...unlucky, you cannot simply but them.

5.) Quest, rotate...you really have to rotate your enemies on map....

• Like 2

Interesting.... I might leave it for a second playthrough, but for now, prolly not.

Being a sitting duck for 12 seconds of combat doesn't really sit well with me, and when I found out lvl 2 abilities come at lvl 5 for chanters, I just abandoned that idea.

I can see it though, with full armor, hatchet + shield, just relying on summons.

there is a cap what you can find early, do not ask me were, which gives you cold damage to healh, when you get damage.

the shadows actualyl do this kind of damage. so yu can tank them really easily...

actually, they are one of the easier to kill mobs in first village dungeon....

I'm gonna have to ask you where it is, roughly now, because, yikes.

The best part is they spawned a ranged spell attack all of a sudden.

I just gave up and started on the stronghold dungeon (endless path), because, no.

Within a few months, there will be a player who beat the game solo, PotD, Expert, Ironman.

OT, I can't say with certainty since I don't know the game in-depth (yet!), but I imagine that the classes most likely to be solo-able would be Cipher first and Ranger second.

Cipher because of Charm. As well as not requiring rest to recharge their abilities, the Charm ability has to be the single best status effect on the basis that it a) reduced the number of opponents b) increases the number of allies and c) adds more targets for remaining opponents to focus on (ie. another HP pool that isn't the players) and not only does it give opponents a new target, but it is in fact desired that enemies kill it. In addition to charming, they can also stun and simultaneously buff/debuff.

Ranger could work too since the animal companion drastically changes the dynamic. It gives the player two units permanently, one of which can tank and keep enemies engaged while the ranger can loose powerful arrows. Between them they can hobble, knock prone and stun as well so there is some CC available.

Both the above could be played stealthily, avoiding confrontation where possible and specced stat-wise to have good conversation options.

I think the main reason IE games were easily soloable was due to insane xp you were getting solo, making charname's level way above the content, and easily abusable combat system (best armor+haste=killing machine). I don't see any of these things in PoE so I'm afraid soloing this game, even if possible, would be rather frustrating F5 - F8 fest.

I would love to be able to play the game solo tho. 

@zenzei

In light of that I'm about to give up, since now my fighter is lvl 6, and the groups of enemies are becoming larger and larger  as the game anticipates your party to be at size 6 for the encounters, whereras in the earlier levels it provided smaller scale encounters to account for the fact that you've only met 2 companions.

This is on easy btw, and enemies groups of 6 and larger are showing up, with about 2 permastunners each group (why do skirmishers have an always-on paralyze on hit effect?)

I think I'll just use myself (speech build) with 5 adventurers (all rogues) meant to alpha-strike down enemies the moment combat begins.

Perhaps if there was a mod that gives 1.5x or 2x exp (putting me a level or three ahead of most parties), with a slight reduction in mob group size would make me consider solo again.

I'm thinking... 1.5x or 2.0x exp, 25% more to 33% more build points for character creation, 25% increased resistance to crowd countrol, 25% decrease in crowd countrol time, 25~50% increase in max health and endurance. That might make the game solo-able on normal.

But seriously, why are there just SO MANY groups of monsters EVERYWHERE? And why are do they ALL have some sort of CC?

Even a graze knocks you down for 3 secs at minimum, while you get mawed by 5 guys continually.

But seriously, why are there just SO MANY groups of monsters EVERYWHERE? And why are do they ALL have some sort of CC?

I've recently been playing again through whole BG saga and having it fresh in my memory I have to say PoE combat system is by far more punishing and strategic. One character, even with major xp buff simply cannot do it.

Example that shocked me: My 4-men lvl 2-3 party was ambushed by group of wolves in the woods. I died quickly. I tried this fight twice again and finally, with better positioning and using of more cc spells instead of damage ones, I've managed to kill them easily, having a lot of hp left. I quickly checked the difficulty setting because I felt like it switched itself to easy by some mistake. A while later same story happened with a pack of boars nearby.

CC is king, positioning is king. In older IE games it was kinda whatever, you just used your strongest stuff first and focused the casters, or just cheesed it with cloud kill spell from afar ;-). PoE combat can be frustrating trial and error, even with full party. Nearly every encounter with more than one enemy feels like an mini-boss fight.