Is there or will there be a physical copy for this game?

Hello, I don't post on here often but I was just wondering if there is a physical copy of the game I can purchase in the US. I really love the game so far, I just want a boxed version! Hopefully they come out with one, as well as a boxed version for the expansion being worked on. Would really make the game feel like an authentic old school game! Even though the game itself already does. 

Edited by glaspeylawson

The only boxed version so far, if I'm not mistaken, was obtained via Kickstarter backing or "slacker backing" shortly after the Kickstarter campaign ended.

I don't know if there's a retail version available for purchase now, or if there will be one at any point in the future.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

All retail-outlet purchased disc copies of the game will be tied to Steam, so if you already have a Steam copy, that might not be what you want. But if you just want the box/disc for posterity :) then that'd work.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

All retail-outlet purchased disc copies of the game will be tied to Steam, so if you already have a Steam copy, that might not be what you want. But if you just want the box/disc for posterity :) then that'd work.

Is there any places I can purchase a physical copy? Or is it like mentioned above that it's only for kick starter backers?

Is there any places I can purchase a physical copy? Or is it like mentioned above that it's only for kick starter backers?

The retail-outlet boxed copies are physical copies (a disc), far as I know. It's just that they use Steam as the DRM, so even tho it's a physical disc, you still need to use/have the Steam client installed to run the game.

DRM-free physical discs were a certain level tier Kickstarter reward. So yes, if you wanted a DRM free disc of the game, those are not available retail.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The retail-outlet boxed copies are physical copies (a disc), far as I know. It's just that they use Steam as the DRM, so even tho it's a physical disc, you still need to use/have the Steam client installed to run the game.

DRM-free physical discs were a certain level tier Kickstarter reward. So yes, if you wanted a DRM free disc of the game, those are not available retail.

Ahh Okay. Seems the only retail copies available for sale at the moment on the inter webs are European copies. On Amazon that is, wouldn't really know anywhere else I could find it. 

Boxed copies as well as the Strategy guide are already selling in retail stores in Australia but as LadyCrimson pointed out, the boxed copies are tied to Steam. I'd imagine the same would be in the USA as well. Only way to get a boxed copy with DRM-free disc is off ebay from a backer who sells their copy.

Will have to try and find a copy. Amazon has copies for 59.99 $ USD but those are copies from the UK. Ebay has none but one collectors edition which goes for 800 $! lol. Should have backed this game while I had the chance. 

In all fairness, we won't know if it "goes for" $800 until it actually sells at that price, :)

But yes, if anyone's buying them at such prices, I should've pledged for like 10 Collector's Editions.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 3 months later...