Can 1 party member go stealth?

I think it was more just technical design limitations. In the time allotted, they weren't able to design an individual stealth system AND do all the other stuff they needed to.

You have to remember, this was a relatively small project (team/resources) compared to big-publisher games.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I just hope they will patch that soon enought. It is one of the things that stop me playing this game, half finished.

I would hardly call the game 'half-finished' just because there's a game mechanic/design decision you don't like. And is this really stopping you from playing? Seems rather... odd.

• Like 1

picture this...
im in a battle and I want to stealth my rogue to go do some backstab damage... all of a sudden my warriors have to bend over and stealth all because my rogue wants to...

this doesn't make sense.. I don't get why they did this to begin with...

I love this game and I love all the work they did to make it, I just wish they would have added some minor things like this...

for people like me it tends to be minor game breaking...

They decided to implement stealth as a game state, like combat. That means everybody's stealthed or nobody is. They've said they want to change this for the expansion, so I get the feeling they're not entirely happy with that decision either.

Sometimes decisions like this get made early enough that other stuff gets tangled in it and it becomes hard to change without breaking things; not something you want to do when you're on a tight budget and schedule. Think of it as one of those little quirks that give games character, you'll feel better about it.

I also hope they'll change it though.

Edit: @Mdalton31 You can't stealth while in combat since both are distinct game states. Combat automatically ends stealth.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

No individual Stealth.

No Stealthing in combat.

Everyone Stealths, or no-one Stealths.

It's an imperfect world and hopefully they'll fix it one day, because it's one of the reasons I'll never play a Rogue in PoE.

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm playing a rogue and having a quite a lot of fun with it actually. It's not the same as in BG2 but it's fun. Sneak forward, fire a Crippling Strike with an arquebus, run back, switch to a melee weapon, fight. Shadowing Beyond and Escape also see a fair bit of use as I strike and retreat.

I like the versatility of the P:E rogue actually. It's not locked into the backstabber/utility character role. The class also complements the first five companions well.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm playing a rogue and having a quite a lot of fun with it actually. It's not the same as in BG2 but it's fun. Sneak forward, fire a Crippling Strike with an arquebus, run back, switch to a melee weapon, fight. Shadowing Beyond and Escape also see a fair bit of use as I strike and retreat.

I like the versatility of the P:E rogue actually. It's not locked into the backstabber/utility character role. The class also complements the first five companions well.

Doing a ranged rogue would probably be different, yeah, but a melee one? Nuh-uh, no way, no how I'm going to subject myself to that level of punishment. I'm playing with a hired rogue in the party right now, and there's just no way I'll get Edér in there and also have the rogue do a stabby-stab, let alone be able to get out of there alive.

Now.. a pistol or something, yeah, I can see that.

Still doesn't change the fact that Individual Stealth (and Search) and in-combat Stealth should be pretty darn high on the priorities list for the expansion.

t50aJUd.jpg

I just hope they will patch that soon enought. It is one of the things that stop me playing this game, half finished.

Does it really affect you though? I agree that individual characters should be able to stealth, but it doesn't make much of a difference in practice.

Edited by PaintingInAir

I'm getting by surprisingly well with Escape and Shadowing Beyond actually -- the latter is in-combat stealth, although limited to 2 per rest. My main problem is still that with the FX and low camera angle it's sometimes hard to see what's going on. The trick in the melee phase is to have him only attack toons already engaged by someone. The damage is rather impressive once you've got a status effect in place which enables Sneak Attacks.

It does "feel" more like a BG2 kensai though -- lulzy damage, limited specials, but fragile and high-management. I enjoyed my experiments with a kensai though, so...

PrimeJunta, I'm glad you don't mind about the non individual stealth... we get its no big deal to you. you can stop posting about it now thanks.

We in this post are having a big deal with it and want this changed because it will better the game.

Real Rpgers of this game want to be able to go into battle and have just our rogue stealth and do stealthy rogue things... not have my giant warrior have to bend over and stealth for no good reason.. im sorry no matter how hard you try to reword my posts to say its ok no big deal... it isn't ok... it is a big deal... and needs to be fixed.

Boom goes the dynamite

Edited by Mdalton31

I have a real hard time to enjoy this game because of this specific mechanic and also the whole "combat mod" & "stealth mod". I said Half-finished because, combat & exploration represent half of the gameplay you go through, the other part being the story  and NPC interaction.

Yes it is beatiful and the story is great (so far) but being a lover of Black isle studios I can't understand those mechanics comming from the same guys who made those legendary games.

We loose all freedom you could find on this games in term of party managment and that is a huge flaw.

I'm serious when I say it stoped me to play it, I can't stop seing this flaw, while exploring.

Edited by geobio

I think I don't have to say that I am a huge IE games fan. I ended BG2 like 7 times and for me it is one of the best games ever.

I watched while POE was being developed those 2.5y excited about the effect. And I was pretty happy what I saw.

I run to buy the game, went through manuals first seen the map, just wanted full immersion before I play. 

I saw in the manual that there is no rogue companion so I decided to make one as a primary character. 

When progressing further when I already hired Aloth and Eder I engaged one of the first fight when I just took backstab.

I didn't really realise why I cannot stay hidden in stealth in the corner when I was trying to lure monsters to Eder to tank it when I was going to backstab it.

It really make backstabing rogue just useless, because only thing I can do with it is to go stealth try to make a first hit as a backstab and then just die on the spot beacuse I had to keep the rest of my party far away due to low stealth. 

I do not really understand how this passed through the develpment. Obsidian got so much experience that I cannot really get it.

I also think about stoping the game right now and wait for this to be fixed but I only saw that it may be implemented in patch/expansion.

If it is going to be in patch it is kinda fine with me tho even thinking about now playing now is making me angry. Another thing is that if Obsidian decides to implement it in expansion. For me it is kinda unacceptable.

I am a sad panda at the moment :(

You can still take your rogue while in stealth and have him do his thing - e.g. in an area where you have to sneak through some people, your party can wait by the entrance and your rogue can go in, steal things, talk to people, etc. (Maybe he can get into combat, too, I think?) 

What you can't do is have your rogue enter stealth during combat and backstab someone. Hence all rogue abilities were designed with flanking, etc. in mind instead of the IE style sneak attack. It is not true that rogues are useless or broken - they were simply never made to do IE style backstabbing, because of how the stealth system was designed. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to design IE style rogues then have this stealth system. The way stealth and rogues would work was also advertised before release.

I loved IE style though, so hope it makes a comeback. It would be a superior stealth system to what POE has now, by any metric. But that kind of system takes a long time to build and implement, especially because of how it changes so many other elements of gameplay. It's not the kind of change that you'd normally see in a patch for any game - just like BG1 players had to wait for BG2 to have higher levels, the Sorcerer and Barbarian, higher monitor resolutions, and so on.

(...) What you can't do is have your rogue enter stealth during combat and backstab someone. (...)

I loved IE style though, so hope it makes a comeback.

The only class that could natively stealth during combat was Shadowdancer AFAIK (besides potions) and the debate over that class will probably go on until the end of time from what I've read so far.

All I need from the old IE games is individual stealth. I do like the perimeter based stealth; I can sneak into a room with reds, carefully empty an urn or two, then sneak off and shed the threat that was built up. Just allow for that to happen individually (the "threat" building up is individual, going into/out of stealth is not). However, that all party members go visible at the same time is far more problematic than having them all go INTO stealth at the same time (I could even buy the argument that if one pc scouts ahead he/she would also want those who stay behind to keep somewhat quiet).

What is nice, though, is that my rogue can be the glass canon one can expect them to be: quickly get a few cheap, high damage hits in then scamper off.

It is simply not acceptible that my high stealth rogue, who could be waiting two rooms away for all we know, goes fully visible the moment my fighter decides to smash someones head in. That's like, oh I don't know, quantum mechanics...? Are we but quarks? Seriously, it's weird.

On that note, can someone elaborate on the use of backstab without getting squashed witihin seconds due to the stealth mechanic? Or is it not intended for use in encounters with more than one red circle?

It'd be nice if one could stay stealthed, like your rogue, but you're really not losing out on much since you can scout a ton anyways leaving the group behind and you get "sneak attack" bonus on so many different states that lack of a backstab open really isn't that big a deal.