Dialogue Sound issue glitch

Niranloh

Question

So I began playing the game yesterday and really got into it in no time at all.  I am really pleased with the intricacies of the game logic and love the narrative writing.  The visuals and music are also absolutely stunning.  The one little glitch-type issue I am running into, which is rather disorienting after getting immersed in the game, is that sometimes the character voice overs start part-way through their dialogue. 

This has happened from time to time both in legitimate dialogue as well as when characters speak to comment on something while just wandering around.  An example of this is would be if a character were to say something like: "We should be careful in this place." the text will display just fine (thank goodness) but the audio voice over might start somewhere like:  ". . .ul in this place."  Although I often read subtitles and such, it is still really bothersome.  I have not seen any other posts about this issue and thought that if anyone else was experiencing they could comment, suggest fixes, or get Obsidian's attention to patch it.

• Like 1

There's actually been reports of this issue ... someone towards the end of the below thread figured out that for the Steam version at least, it can be/may be related to network/router issues, and the developers were able to reproduce that. Might want to check that out. May not be the cause for everyone, however.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71857-game-constant-freezes-and-voice-delay/page-8

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As someone who had the problems referred to in the linked thread, that's a completely separate issue. In that case, the audio played exactly as normal, it simply had a delay of several seconds before they started playing. This happened both for soundbites you get when selecting/ordering characters around, and for actual dialogue. Using the workarounds in the thread solved that for me completely as well as the other issues mentioned there.

Now that I've had the chance to actually play I've gotten the same issue as Niranloh. Whenever Calisca has a line of dialogue (not the soundbites which are fine), the audio starts randomly several words into the clip, generally in the middle of a word. So far it hasn't happened with Heodan at all, only her. It's nothing huge but it does make things a little grating when she has several lines of dialogue in a row or the like.

Edited by Insurrectionist

I've got a GoG release and have also experienced this, usually after skipping a dialog before it finished narrating it, the following bit will start at the very end of the sentence and finish abruptly. However, this has also occurred without me interacting with the dialog in any way.
Will look for a specific conversation that has this issue (as I believe it's more of an isolated case with a few dialogues rather than a recurring glitch) and place a savegame here.

IcosahedronXIII.

-The pattern is woven, let us tear right through it.   
                                                                              Duthar the Cipher

As someone who had the problems referred to in the linked thread, that's a completely separate issue.

-----

*squints at the original post*

Ah...you're probably correct. My brain mistook the "character voice overs start part-way through their dialogue" part as a delay, not missing words/dialogue.

Apologies for my erroneous conclusion/solution direction. original.gif

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't think it's necessarily a separate issue. I had the exact same problem as Niranloh, and then tried disabling my network connection as per the tips in the linked thread - and the problem disappeared. It reappears when I re-enable my network connection.

I have this issue as well and it is so infuriating. It breaks the immersion completely.

I can't read the text because it's different from what the voice is speaking so I have to wait until the character finishes speaking his half of line, trying to ignore what he's saying so that I can then read it from the top.

This happens with Durance for me and I really want to listen to what he has to say...

Reporting in on this issue as well, GoG release. Doesn't happen on every character, but Durance and Calisca are affected by it. Not sure if it's related to the sound loop you get with the scroll closing, that was goddamn awful. Although closing and opening the game helped with that issue...

I have this issue with the Steam version. However, with me it seems to occur on a per-game basis and is not necessarily affected by network configurations. Meaning that I started three separate playthroughs, and on two of them, Calisca had broken speech, but on one of them she didn't, and I hadn't changed any settings at all between each attempt.

One fix I have tried since then is to use Windows firewall settings to block the PoE exe from outgoing connections, but this didn't seem to fix it.

Edited by ThreeSon

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Core i7 3770 @3.5 GHz

nVidia GTX 680

16 GB RAM

I got this on a new character. Calisca started skipping the first few words of her voice lines in the starting map. Reloaded the game and it resolved itself. Any idea what causes this? It's quite an annoying bug.

Edited by Justinian

It would be cool to hear something from the devs.

I tried disabling IPv6, but the other stuff like VPN and the other stuff you can see in the sticky topic about common issues don't help (I don't even have any of that stuff on my pc).

• Like 1

I am currently experiencing the same bug in which reactive party dialogue only seems to play halfway through the scripted recorded audio.

I do not recall having this issue with my first character, but each character after that now suffers from the bug.  This began occurring before 1.03 and has persisted afterwards.

It would be cool to hear something from the devs.

I tried disabling IPv6, but the other stuff like VPN and the other stuff you can see in the sticky topic about common issues don't help (I don't even have any of that stuff on my pc).

It'd like to hear more about their theory as well.

Why would a networking service not only delay the speech but cut off the first few words? Or is the beginning of the speech played at volume 0?

There's nothing like Hamachi installed here.

With Calisca and Heodan at the beginning it either happens almost always or not at all. I tried moving them differently, but that doesn't make a difference.

Then when I started a new game with a Mechanics Monk, which made me curious and because I'm still undecide about my party composition, the speech of Calisca and Heodan was flawless.

There are 2 seperate issues being confused as one. The network VPN stuff was a temp fix for all dialogue being delayed for a few seconds.

The dialogue being cut off is another issue entirely.

As mentioned, I don't think it is. I had the problem of cut-off dialogue, which was fixed completely when I disabled my network connection.

That said, I mostly noticed the issue at the beginning of the game (Most notably with Calisca), and from act 2 onwards, I've been able to play with my network connection enabled almost without difficulties as well.