So I'm pondering a barbarian here. I like 2-handed classes in most games so I thought I'd try one here. Question is how to balance the stats? Might is a given, max might. But then comes the issues.
How important is dex for a 2-hander?
Perception increases resistance to interrupt, isn't that quite important for a 2-hander?
Intelligence seems quite important for a barbarian due to the cleave mechanic.
I think constitution speaks for itself. That means that resolve is the only stat that doesn't seem particularly important for barbarians.
Essentially I'm trying to figure out the importance of each stat when running a 2-hand barbarian.
So far all the builds I've seen are for DW barbarians. Is DW really that superior to 2-handers?

Edited by Jarlhen

As of now, I think there is really two choices with Barb stats (whatever your weapon choice is)

If you want to go DPS ( the way barb is meant to be played i.e. using a fighter to bind mobs before hacking them to pieces with your barb)

18 Might

18 Dex

15 Int

10 Con

8 Per

9 Res

If you want to try a tank ( tricky due to low deflection and could be hard), something like....

18 Per

18 Res

10 Mig

10 Dex

rest split between int and con , favoring con. I'd reduce int by 1-2 points and put the leftovers into Con

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

As of now, I think there is really two choices with Barb stats (whatever your weapon choice is)

If you want to go DPS ( the way barb is meant to be played i.e. using a fighter to bind mobs before hacking them to pieces with your barb)

18 Might

18 Dex

15 Int

10 Con

8 Per

9 Res

If you want to try a tank ( tricky due to low deflection and could be hard), something like....

18 Per

18 Res

10 Mig

10 Dex

rest split between int and con , favoring con. I'd reduce int by 1-2 points and put the leftovers into Con

You won't really compete with a fighter for main tank spot, so as off-tank Barb I'd skimp on Con and Res a bit to get either Int or Dex higher. 

Try to max out your might and then look for an even distribution between dexterity and intelligence, favoring dexterity moreso. You can skimp on all the defensive stats (con, res, per), especially constitution -- barbarians have so much hit points that you won't really need any more from the stat. You don't have to always be beholden to using a two-hander -- there are no downsides to dual-wielding for your second weapons set, for when you're up against enemies that don't have particularly high DR to soak your blows.

Don't try to tank as a barbarian. They don't do it nearly as well as other classes and you'll lose a lot of that offensive oomph if you don't lean towards utilizing the abilities that make barbarians into steamrolling, creature murdering powerhouses.

I had the same question yesterday, especially since the strategy guide suggests 18, 15, 11, 8, 16, 7 (for both: two-handed and two weapon style).

As it turned out everybody but the strategy guide seems to stress the importance of dexterity. So I ended up with (Aumau) 18, 10, 18, 8, 17, 7 and switching between both styles at which two weapons seemed much better working  -  mainly when he is soloing.

I really did not (do not) understand how exactly attack speed actually works, but testing a barbarian with 18,15, 11, 8, 16, 7 against one with high dexterity (18) was a clear cut case: with high dex you will be much more successful (in the two first playing hours) whereas a barb with low dex is a helpless thing to watch (after Frenzy runs out). Maybe it all will change later in the game, but low-dex (11) barb felt odd (and couldn't solo the early groups [on hard]). So I went with what the forum told in the first place.

What I still want to know: how important are perception and resolve offense-wise?

Resolve is useless offensively. Perception gives a +3% chance to Interrupt per point over 10 vs. the target's -3% chance to be interrupted per point of Resolve over 10. Each hit has a base chance of 50% to interrupt, before Interrupt and Concentration are factored in. It's mostly negligible, but worth noting that if you want to put a point in one, Perception is the better offensive option.

In almost all cases, Might, Dexterity, and Intelligence are the offensive attributes. Constitution, Resolve, and Perception are the defensive ones. 

The reason barbarians are better with higher attack speed is because of their 'splash' damage and the fact that one point of Might generally isn't significantly enough increase in damage compared to hitting multiple enemies faster considering the game's mostly low damage values.

I found out that its not best idea to min/max in PoE. Even when you dont expect your character to be engaged he often end up in it and then its reasonable to have some deflection and armor reduction for at least mele characters

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I found out that its not best idea to min/max in PoE. Even when you dont expect your character to be engaged he often end up in it and then its reasonable to have some deflection and armor reduction for at least mele characters

In my experience anything but maxed resolve/perception is a waste of stats outside of conversations. In other words, I find it it's far more necessary to min/max in this game than in other games. A few points in deflection will do next to nothing for your survivability. It's all out or nothing at all. As a barbarian I just take the endurance talent and if they kill me even when I'm using that they would have killed me no matter what. It's a bit unfortunate, but I see no reason to try and balance things in this game. The only reason I don't dump half my stats to 3 is for conversations and RP reasons.

ETA. I say necessary, but I don't mean that you have to min/max or you'll fail. It's perfectly viable to run through this game with 13 or 14 or whatever in every single stat. It's just that other than conversations there's not really any point to it.

Edited by Jarlhen

well 5 points in reslove/perception is 5 deflection. Its worth of whole talent so I would not dismiss them so easily. But yeah, not worth for ranged characters

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

18 Might

18 Dex

15 Int

10 Con

8 Per

9 Res

18 Per

18 Res

10 Mig

10 Dex

You won't really compete with a fighter for main tank spot, ...

What I said ^^

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine