Teen Modification - Swearing Discussion

I gotta chime in here.

Cause really, f-bombs are awful, but the fact you kill dozens of other human(oids) in the game is perfectly ok?

This bugs me in many other games as well. Take Mass Effect 3: you kill stuff by the boatloads, on screen head explosions included. But for some obscure reason Samantha wears a bra in the shower.

I'll tell you guys and gals something: teens have sex, teens swear. But the average teen will never, not even in adulthood, kill someone, or even something aside from the occasional insect.

The message here is completely off. If anything in games should be censored to protect your kids, it's the killing, not the sex and the swearing.

• Like 1

Seriously -- can't we have a good game that's designed for adults?   I don't see a reason why the content or the language needs to be modified -- let the writers use their full imagination/vocabulary and create a game that is mature and enlightened ...rather than "sanitized" somehow so that it's appropriate for "children".   (Which is a silly notion anyway...since nothing in this game or any other is going to teach ANY teenager more than what they can't find on a google search ..lol.)

I'm more offended by the desire to censor anything in this game than any use of language, subject matter, or content in it.  

I swear there's a new thread everyday "Can't the developers just do this???". If they did everything for all people the game would be boring and bland. Not every game, movie, TV show, song, etc. is going to be for everyone. Good thing there are plenty out there to choose from.

P.S. me and my friends were using cuss words in elementary school, and this was pre-internet/streaming. And we knew enough to not use it around adults.  If you think you are shielding your children from the world, think again.

Edited by darqleo

You know, so many people go out and want fantasy or sci-fi settings to use "different swear words" because normal swearing breaks their immersion.

Bit odd in my opinion to change only swear words and nothing else.  Can we get a mod that changes all the text in the game to be in true old english rather than only changing the swear words?  I'd love to read PoE like the old english form of Beowulf or even just the slightly more modern Shakespeare.

Wherefore art thou Watcher?

• Like 1

This bugs me in many other games as well. Take Mass Effect 3: you kill stuff by the boatloads, on screen head explosions included. But for some obscure reason Samantha wears a bra in the shower.

And the same thing is with american movies:

Violence? OK!

Swearing? No way!

Nipple? Blasphemy!

I really don't get why are americans so afraid of showing nipples, there are so normal in european movies and games. And nothing happened with us. We are still normal people not sexual maniacs.

The same goes to swearing It's so silly when I see even mouth is pixelated in some american productions.

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

Violence? OK!

Swearing? No way!

Nipple? Blasphemy!

I really don't get why are americans so afraid of showing nipples, there are so normal in european movies and games. And nothing happened with us. We are still normal people not sexual maniacs.

The same goes to swearing It's so silly when I see even mouth is pixelated in some american productions.

Don't forget, it's only female nipples they have an issue with.  Guys are perfectly okay. 

As an American I can confirm that our cultural standards are really freaking weird.

• Like 2

Violence? OK!

Swearing? No way!

Nipple? Blasphemy!

Somewhere along the way, the nipple went from being solely a nurturing tool for the feeding of babies, to becoming a very sexualized protrusion.  The bearing of breasts in european cultures was not uncommon or considered risque', in fact the exposing of legs and ankles were more eyebrow raising than that of a nip slip.   Cleavage on the other hand, which can be shown without any social hindrance or stigma, here in the USA, was always used to mirror that of the top of a female ass to attract men.  The bigger and more full the better, which represented the woman's health, status and social position and potential for birthing and rearing a child, or in the mind of the onlooker, his child; subconsciously of course.

Violence? OK!

Swearing? No way!

Nipple? Blasphemy!

Somewhere along the way, the nipple went from being solely a nurturing tool for the feeding of babies, to becoming a very sexualized protrusion.  The bearing of breasts in european cultures was not uncommon or considered risque', in fact the exposing of legs and ankles were more eyebrow raising than that of a nip slip.   Cleavage on the other hand, which can be shown without any social hindrance or stigma, here in the USA, was always used to mirror that of the top of a female ass to attract men.  The bigger and more full the better, which represented the woman's health, status and social position and potential for birthing and rearing a child, or in the mind of the onlooker, his child; subconsciously of course.

Of course the nipple is sexualized. Or  rather could be but does't have to. 

After observing  polish political stage I  came to one conclusion. More conservative people associate evrything with sexuality.  Those less conservative have no problem with nipples (beacuse it's natural that someone is naked when is taking shower). Shorter dresses (heck she is not prostitute she just has beautifull legs, and want to show them. The same way boys would show their muscles).

Probably the same  goes to swearing (let's go back from this interesting offtopic) conservative people identify swearing with the worst things.

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

I gotta chime in here.

Cause really, f-bombs are awful, but the fact you kill dozens of other human(oids) in the game is perfectly ok?

I'll tell you guys and gals something: teens have sex, teens swear. But the average teen will never, not even in adulthood, kill someone, or even something aside from the occasional insect.

The message here is completely off. If anything in games should be censored to protect your kids, it's the killing, not the sex and the swearing.

bioware seems to agree because there are nipples in dragon age 3

• Like 2

"Did he just SWEAR?! Tommy, you cover your ears while you murder all those people. I am going on Twitter to let these disgusting developers know this is unacceptable!"

And that's how swearing will be censored.

It won't be in the patch notes, though. The QA team missed it while the dialogue was vetted and it was never supposed to be there to begin with.

• Like 1

Would be nice to have more cursing in game.

• Like 2

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I gotta chime in here.

bioware seems to agree because there are nipples in dragon age 3

It almost made me forgive them for SWTOR and the endings in ME3. Almost.