Teen Modification - Swearing Discussion

Pillars of Eternity received an M rating from the ESRB.  Most notable difference from BGEE which had  a T rating, was the inclusion of the F-bomb.

[snip ..to much irrelevant stuff here ..]

I'm happy to do a search and replace and then upload when the mod site gets going, for those who want to play without the cursing.

I want to play without the killing. Violence makes me sick. Can you mod that out too? Maybe we than get a E10+ rating. And please mod every mention of religion out. People may think this is a hate-crime-condoning-game. And also, mod out wichts. People are also forced to kill children - soulless children none the less. And don't get me startetd on the topic of souls. It may anger non-religious people. Please make a mod for it and call it energy-bar. But this may anger anti-sports oriented players.

And the title: Pillars of Eternity. Clearly a phallus oriented title. Maybe we should make a mod for it and call it "Small wooden beams of timelessness".....

• Like 4

Keep in mind, Durance's voice actor straight up says **** and whore a bunch of times. So you'll have to remove or bleep out his sound files.

It would be smarter to re-record the voice with a fan actor so the kids won't notice that something is up.

Just to be clear here, today, I broke the bones of a child. I picked him up and hurled him to the ground. After selling him a knife for a secret. I then loaded, redid the dialogue, and told him that his father doesn't love him or his mother (because he frequents a seedy whore-house. I loaded, of course, because I actually feel terrible when I do things like this, even in games, but that's beside the point.

And earlier today, I jumped into a pit of literal blood. A pool. Of blood. There was also an altar involved somewhere, but whatever, there was a hole with blood everywhere and jumped in and swam in it.

I'm not *opposing* the creation of a mod that removes all the swearing. If you want to do that, I think it's silly, but that's really none of my business.

But just to be perfectly clear; this game is not for children. The game has earned that "M for Mature". And it's not because of swearing. I couldn't give less of a **** about the swearing if I had children, in this context, but I would never, ever, let my children play this game before the age of, like, I dunno, an age where they aren't likely to think that this is remotely normal.

The game has some heavy **** and it's not suitable for children no matter how much you edit the texts.

• Like 11

t50aJUd.jpg

Pure craziness.  If you're letting your kids play this, and you're afraid of the swear words but not the serious dark plot actions within the game you have more serious problems.  And I'll put up $20 if they don't already swear like my grandfather did when he got out of the navy.

The entire, "swearing bad" but "rape, murder, torture, sending people off to be eaten" a-okay thing doesn't compute.

Edited by Mashiki
  • Like 1

Pure craziness.  If you're letting your kids play this, and you're afraid of the swear words but not the serious dark plot actions within the game you have more serious problems.  And I'll put up $20 if they don't already swear like my grandfather did when he got out of the navy.

The entire, "swearing bad" but "rape, murder, torture, sending people off to be eaten" a-okay thing doesn't compute.

The first town you enter has dead people hanging from a tree. But its far worse that you question Aloth for telling someone to go **** their sister.

Just to be clear here, today, I broke the bones of a child. I picked him up and hurled him to the ground. After selling him a knife for a secret. I then loaded, redid the dialogue, and told him that his father doesn't love him or his mother (because he frequents a seedy whore-house. I loaded, of course, because I actually feel terrible when I do things like this, even in games, but that's beside the point.

And earlier today, I jumped into a pit of literal blood. A pool. Of blood. There was also an altar involved somewhere, but whatever, there was a hole with blood everywhere and jumped in and swam in it.

I'm not *opposing* the creation of a mod that removes all the swearing. If you want to do that, I think it's silly, but that's really none of my business.

But just to be perfectly clear; this game is not for children. The game has earned that "M for Mature". And it's not because of swearing. I couldn't give less of a **** about the swearing if I had children, in this context, but I would never, ever, let my children play this game before the age of, like, I dunno, an age where they aren't likely to think that this is remotely normal.

The game has some heavy **** and it's not suitable for children no matter how much you edit the texts.

That blood?

PERIOD BLOOD!

FINEST OF THE FIRST MENARCH

The vintage on the bottle read "Hail Satan".

I think, as everyone else has stated, this is NOT a game for children. And its not because of the swearing. But if you want to mod it out, go for it. But there's a lot darker stuff than somebody dropping the f-bomb (which, let's be real - your kids probably use it anyway, or at least they know what it means. If they don't, they're obviously WAY too young and should play with LEGOs or something instead)

Edited by Hellraiser789

There's a whole lot more than just the swearing.

There's goood reasons for the mature rating--quests that deal with themes like alcoholic parents and spousal abuse, or the task I found when I saw a dead childs body in the river, the questline where the guy impregnated his niece, etc.

It's a mature game, not just a game with curse words in it.

• Like 1

There's a whole lot more than just the swearing.

There's goood reasons for the mature rating--quests that deal with themes like alcoholic parents and spousal abuse, or the task I found when I saw a dead childs body in the river, the questline where the guy impregnated his niece, etc.

It's a mature game, not just a game with curse words in it.

Wrong. All of that is suitable for 8 year olds.

Because they'll just skip all the text. But the F bomb ... OH NOES!!! That's the only one thing that's going to ruin the childerns forever!!!

THINK ABOUT THE CHILDERNS!!! Cover your eyes kids, PoE is bad because of the F bomb. Go listen to Nikki Minaj instead.

Seriously -- can't we have a good game that's designed for adults?   I don't see a reason why the content or the language needs to be modified -- let the writers use their full imagination/vocabulary and create a game that is mature and enlightened ...rather than "sanitized" somehow so that it's appropriate for "children".   (Which is a silly notion anyway...since nothing in this game or any other is going to teach ANY teenager more than what they can't find on a google search ..lol.)

I'm more offended by the desire to censor anything in this game than any use of language, subject matter, or content in it.  

I think the swearing is immersion breaking and sounds tacked on. It may fit a game series like Fallout perfectly, but sounds weird in a game like Pillars. BG series did it perfectly without swearing.

But that is how people talk especially "bad" ones. no swearing would be totally unrealstic. And yes it is a Fantasy Setting but in a world which deals with so heavy Topics and events. Searing also feels totally unrealistic and not plausible at all.

Oh and I personally think the world in POE s much more harsher and sicker than it was in Fallout or in this case Fallout New vegas.

Edited by Darji

I guess if you want to remove the swearing that's up to you. I mean, it won't do anything about the dead child floating in the river who told me he was murdered by thugs when he tried to stop a rape, but whatever.

Have fun with it.

• Like 2

I really really dont want to get into the discussion around how someone should raise their kids or whether pillars "should" have swearing or not, but I am just finding it so very hard to understand why kids shouldnt come in contact with any swearing in any kind of way (other than all that which they will hear in school all day long anyway). And now we're even talking about protecting "teens" from swearing which seems quite problematic to me as, if it was even possible, it might actually create some dysfunctionality in relation to the wider society. 

Again, I am not saying anything against modding the game or anyones child rearing practices, I just want to understand the reasoning (I am a sociologist, I can't help it). If it's about wanting to raise well behaved children I guess I can understand that, although I wonder if its not better to educate children in good practices than to try to isolate them from bad ones. Isnt it better encountering swearing as something a low-life thug in Ondras Gift would do than something that cool kid at school does?

Id be happy for any reasoning about this, assuming that some people have thought this opinion through. 

I don't mind swearing but it kinda bothers me if fantasy authors can't come up with more fitting alternatives, particularly to the overused modern English "f--k". For example, the Polish version of Witcher uses a very imaginative language while in the English translation it's just ****s and **** all over.

Edited by vattghern

It's not about swearing. It's about a difficult lore, this game is simply not for kids, they do not understand as much as adults. It's likę trying to make Silent Hill kids friendly.

Edited by Rafkos