OpenGL 2.0 !!!

nik_bg

Shame it wasn't in time for Neverwinter Nights 2...

CTTOI, are there actually any implementations of OpenGL 2 yet? (I haven't looked...) When will it be possible to write using OpenGL 2 and have it run in software or hardware mode on popular hardware?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, first of all, there's only one driver with OGL2 support right now, and that's a beta driver for the WildcatVP series by 3DLabs, not really hardware for gamers.

Then, there's not much in OGL2 that's not already possible with OGL1.5 + ARB extensions, the only new thing is that those extensions are now formally approved as OGL standard. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that, OGL2 is cool, and OGL does everything Direct3D does plus a whole lot more (because OGL supports extensions and D3D uses a fixed feature set).

But I would love to see more OGL and less D3D based games - I know, some things are easier to do with D3D, but OGL is more mature, more flexible and more portable (I'm a Linux dev, so D3D is not an issue, anyway)... And yes, it should be possible to use OGL2 in software mode, as soon as MESA supports OGL2.

It's nice that it's all at least integrated and accepted under one standard now though. I agree with the OpenGL increase of use, as it would make it a lot easier to port games to different platforms, hopefully increasing the odds of Linux gaining a huge group of new users.