How do I speak to characters instead of searching their souls?

Named characters that I see give me the option to reach out for their soul, or 'step back', when I click on them.

Am I completely unable to speak to these characters?? Or do I need to activate some sort of speech control that I can't see.

Thanks for any replies on this!

I was kinda sad about this, especially when you find out someone did a gruesome deed and I want to punish them for it!

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

I found this odd at first, but I'm of the opinion that this has something to do with the overall story, which we'll discover later on.

*edit* Or are these the Kickstarter named NPCs, perhaps?

Edited by Ink Blot

i too read a bunch thinking that they would be relevant to a quest or puzzle or something in the game but after noticing the quality is all over the place i came here to figure out what's up.

i think it is really lame to have these npcs everywhere. the graveyard memorials i can deal with but these npcs are all over the place there are just too many. i don't expect this sort of thing in a $45 game...feels very unprofessional.

• Like 2

i too read a bunch thinking that they would be relevant to a quest or puzzle or something in the game but after noticing the quality is all over the place i came here to figure out what's up. i think it is really lame to have these npcs everywhere. the graveyard memorials i can deal with but these npcs are all over the place there are just too many. i don't expect this sort of thing in a $45 game...feels very unprofessional.

Yeah, they really detract from the quality of the world IMO. I'm changing their names to generic names with the IE mod and ignoring them as far as conversation goes.

• Like 2

The names and wacky appearances are an unfortunate side-effect of how the KS reward worked, but I welcome the opportunity to read the little in-world storylets. 

It would be nice if the option to do the reading were locked off until after you find out The Thing That Makes Charname Special.  It would have made the conversation with the old dwarf a bit more impactful if you hadn't already read the souls of half the population of the town. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

It would be nice if the option to do the reading were locked off until after you find out The Thing That Makes Charname Special.  It would have made the conversation with the old dwarf a bit more impactful if you hadn't already read the souls of half the population of the town. 

Exactly. That conversation was entirely anticlimactic because of that. Quite disappointed in Obsidian for letting a KS reward screw up the atmosphere and story (supposedly a major focus!) of their game like that.

Not saying it's not a great game - it certainly seems to be so far. But the backer NPCs are an annoyance, and should have been implemented differently.

Edited by Matt516

So you're saying, neat little "soul lookery" stories detract from the game more so than Peasant #9520 saying the same things as every other peasant in a zone? 

The only inconsistency is that you can't look at certain peoples' souls and it doesn't really explain why as far as I've seen. 

Well I enjoyed every single one I encountered and am looking forward to reading some more. But like others said it would be much better if there was some further way of interacting with the NPCs. I'm sure that mod will come one day :)

yeah a toggle in the options menu would be great. it could just leave the npcs there but not make them noninteractable. unfortunately since people paid so much money for those npcs i doubt they would ever add any interface to hide them.

i see now they have yellow name backgrounds but having to check every npc for that is tedious and also easy to miss since its hard to notice from regular names.

the problem is that it is amateur work. when i pay full price for a game i don't want to read weak fanfic stories from random people (some of them are well written but many are not). im paying for a product by professionals. not to mention they have no relevance to the world and story. maybe if this were a $10 game it would be acceptable.

• Like 1