Rogues Escape talent broken?

Striped_Wolf

Question

22 answers to this question

I assumed the delay was intentional but maybe I was wrong. Now I need to check if the engagement line still follows me. However, if I jump out of engagement range doesn't the line just mean they are still targeting me? I can still run around after escaping without taking a disengagement hit. The enemies will crawl over broken glass to catch up with me though, not sure if that is right. The delay/rubberbanding to jump away is really annoying though, it's often just enough time for me to die or get hit and interrupted.

I witnessed that too. Every once in a while I just teleport about half the distance I should.

Anyway, even if my character would teleport the right distance, it's just kinda useless. After the initial attack the rogue is cannon fodder. It takes a whole turn until he does teleport and even when he's away, he's still taking damage.

My main character is more of a kamikaze fighter, than a rogue.

I have following issues regarding rogue escape:

- character is stuttering during jump animation

- not full jump distance is made

- sometimes engagement lines are not broken (they are just longer)

I am playing on Windows with GOG version.

I finally gave up and swapped it for invisibility.  it saves you from getting smacked multiple turns, but doesn't save you from retaliation after a backstab.

OTOH, I also decided to make my rogue an archer instead of a backstabber, and for that, invisibility works pretty well.  you can pepper the bad guys from distance for a blinding sneak attack, go invisible, and they lose focus on you; all engagement lines are immediately broken.  then you can move, and do it again.  make yourself some potions of fast step; also very useful.

now if they just made invisibility an instant instead of something that requires you to wait for cooldowns, you actually COULD properly disengage.

in fact, I think the key thing that is missing from combat strategy in this game is instants that can bypass cooldowns.  there's a couple, but not very many.  each class should have an instant they can use while their primary attack is on cooldown.

chanters can chant, paladins can keep on producing an aura, but the rest need something like this too.  make escape an instant, or invisibility, for rogues.

• Like 1

Yes, Escape doesn't seem to work very well for me either.

I think I may have used it once or twice with some success, but most of the time, it fails.

And even if it would work correctly, it should a) activate faster and b) have an increased range.

As of now it is not really an escape option.

btw: melee rogue seems inferior to ranged rogue. If you try to initiate combat with a melee rogue, you're as good as dead, having all the aggro. 

Yes, escape should be instant, that would help. A lot!

Add the supposed break out of engagement and maybe extend its distance a bit. Voila: viable ability and possibility to actually start an encounter with a backstab.

Yeah, without escape working smoothly it is pretty suicidal starting a fight with a backstab using melee rogue, real shame I feel. To be devil's advocate, I should say that I find escape does work well if you use it well in advance of being knocked out and jump behind your engagement tank that has hopefully locked your attacker in melee. Very unreliable all the same though.

Came here to post similar woes:

(Bug?) Rogue's Escape doesn't seem to work as it should.

Most often my Rogue is killed waiting for it to activate.  Shouldn't it be instant?

And when it does trigger, sometimes it doesn't break engagement, stretching the engagement lines across the gap and killing my Rogue with disengagement attacks.

Also, its jump range seems to vary somewhat, sometimes being short enough that if I don't manage to pause at just the right time to issue a command to move further away, then the enemy runs to my Rogue and engages again almost instantly.

Seems near-useless.  I think it's actually worked (meaning it got my Rogue out of trouble) once out of a dozen or so uses. 

My thoughts:  Make it instant.  Make it uninterruptable.  Increase the range a bit or make the Rogue immune to engagement for a few seconds after the jump.

Edited by ddillon

• Added cooldown to NPC Rogue's Escape ability usage so they won't use it back to back.

It says NPC. And escape is one per encounter for us, so no CD at all.

ddillon: I think that's what we all experienced and also wish for.

Nice. So I took one abilitiy and two talents that are practially useless.

Escape is useless. Took Backstab for initiating combat. Can now do double damage two times per rest (Shadowing Beyond) with my allmighty.... dagger.

If I knew that before I could have invested some other way. Or even chose another class. (Or buy another game....).

This is disappointing. Especially for me, considering the only other bug I ran into (that I noticed) isn't fixed either.

Sad, sad, sad.

Is this on any dev's radar? There seems to be confusion on whether there is even a bug or if the talent is just not very useful. Response? I can't imagine how no one in QA would notice, it's super obvious if there wasn't supposed to be a delay and disengagement attacks half the time.