Do Bleak Walkers have to be evil?

I'm just getting ready to start this amazing looking game.

I'm really interested in trying a paladin, and I'd love to make a Witch Hunter/Undead Hunter like character who gives no quarter and is a zealot hunting and destroying heresy.

The Bleak Walker seems the closest fit to what I'm looking for, but does a Bleak Walker HAVE to be evil? Being aggressive is fine, and even cruel to those he considers heretics, but I would rather not be cornered into making evil decisions else be punished.

I don't think they're "evil", but I'm sure they tend to attract that type.  Folks think they're cruel simply due to how ruthless they are in stopping conflict.  But one could argue that in the long run, perhaps they save lives?  I'd call them pragmatic zealots.  

I don't know of any situations where you have to choose between a good or evil option. Usually, you have neutral options and a couple of other options that go several ways(Cruel, Passionate, Stoic, for instance).

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Bleak Walker demands you take confrontational dialog such as Aggressive and Cruel, this does not neccesarily equate with evil. For example Gilded Vale has a side quest involving a fight over the wheat production or whatever. Can tell you from experience the miller reacts positively to aggressive dialog. But of course there will also be cases where your aggressive nature will set someone off and block off a peaceful resolution. To be fair, I actually think I've encountered a quest where the honest and benevolent responses got me a "wrong" ending in that the guilty party got away.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Evil is as evil does.  Just because you are a merciless bleak walker who will do whatever it takes to get the job done doesn't mean you are "evil" per se.  You could be fighting for a good cause, trying to stop a serial killer, liberating a bunch of slaves.  It is all a matter of perspective and that's why it is so great this game runs on a reputation system not an alignment one.

Evil ? I wonder if the word is even used once in the game...

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Stop thinking in terms of "good" and "evil" 

Nothing is inherently either...

/woah

ur so deep men

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It's not so much about good & evil. But avoiding being Benevolent. It's pretty hard to accept missions and not become benevolent. Maybe I'm just not on the same wave as the creators, but when I get a list of options

Turn them in, let them make amends, attack them, let them go

Nothing seems particularly cruel, aggressive sure.

I think the issue lies in the fact that the Bleak Walkers, whilst merciless, are not sadists nor cruel for the sake of it which most [Cruel] options seem to suggest - it might aswell be renamed to Malevolent. From what I've gathered it seems that they're frightfully pragmatic paladins; pointless cruelty doesn't seem all that pragmatic to me.