Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can someone help me make an legendary Wizard?

Wizard OP Exploding

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Arctic

Arctic

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Has anyone tried a 18/3/18/10/19/10 wizard?  I'm trying one on hard right now and it's rocking the early game but wondering if that 3 con might cripple it late game.

Thats great, dont worry about constitution late game .. if you get hitted you will die , with 3 con or with 18 con.  unless you get fully builded like a tank ... and then you will cry for having so little endurance and health .. still with the 18 con so ....  xD

mhadina

mhadina

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Finally found a decent order of spells to kill a pack of wolves and three bandits in third map.
Veiled myself first (ability), than Slicken in front of me, than Flames, Jolting Touch etc. I didn't even had to use Wizard's Double.

Maybe to wait with Veil in the future couse targets where on the ground for some time?

Anyways, what a difference, I didn't know how to do it right a day before. Been killed in 5 seconds. Bear?
Not yet,  thanks. At lvl 3 maybe?
Now, some friends need to be joined first.
Bug. I tried it in towern, built a new companion for 250 cps, however, black screen was a result after 15 mins of creating, just hearing sound, restart...sleep....dont know what to say....
bug, and not the first...

ErlKing

ErlKing

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Con is dump stat anyway. 10 -> 3 con = -20% endurance and health, and even 10->17 per (another dump stat) give you +7% deflect, and stacking deflect mean less hits, less crits, more hit -> graze so overall less damage taken.

• dockizzle likes this

LastSoloer

LastSoloer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts

I will try a solo Wizard for PotD solo and Im thinking on droping some points on MIGHT ( i mean not maxing it not reducing initial base value), after all its just some % of dmg, and getting full resolve and con so Im more tanky and I cant get interrupted.

What do you guys think of this. Maybe adding some Dex so I can go 1h and shield.

Asmodean-

Asmodean-

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Steam:kieranh7(Asmodean)

you guys serisouly trying to fight with a lvl 1-2 wizard alone with no companions? Is this your first RPG....ever?

I tried to solo a bear in a cave as a lvl 2 wizard and kept getting my ass handed to me.  I eventually left... but I WILL return to enact my vengeance.  

I do worry though, people keep saying the wizard is weak compared to the druid and cipher... is that just early on or does that scale to later on as well?  wizards are always weak in games like baldurs gate early on, but later they become the single most over the top powerful things in existence, stopping time, summons up the wazoo, dragons breath and comets raining from the sky, even opening locks, stone skin and other defenses that make them immune to damage for a bit.  Is none of that incalculable power going to materialize later on?

If not I may just reroll a cipher or druid/chanter.

Lol ... no one can solo a bear at lvl 2... he will wipe your party even with 3 members ... xD (well i did kill it with 3 members ... xD)

Well, not to brag or anything, but - I couldn't solo the bear with my own lvl 2 Wizard, either. So, I left the cave after a few tries, and headed on to Gilded Vale. Where I met

Spoiler

..you can guess what I did next..

went back to the bear with TWO lvl 2 Wizards, and rocked his world!. xD

slicken + bad kiting + multiple attempts = bearly made it.

Edited by Asmodean-, 31 March 2015 - 05:15 AM.

Kandidus

Kandidus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:Requiem

Yeah I'm finding a 3 con as a wizard to not be detrimental at all (at least in non-ironman).  I did end up restarting though - mainly to up the difficulty to PotD with a custom party.  Maybe I'l lend up reconsidering how bad 3 con is when I fight the shades/shadows lol.

mhadina

mhadina

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Is it too much to expect to deal with three or four shadows having only wizard and paladin in a party ? I am lvl 2, lurking proudly lol
Which Class should I take to a party? Warrior is a must or not ?

AzureG

AzureG

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

you guys serisouly trying to fight with a lvl 1-2 wizard alone with no companions? Is this your first RPG....ever?

Gee.  First time playing the game.  No idea even HOW to get to the next town, or even that it is possible to do so without fighting at least the one mob.  Psychic I was not.  I've learned how to get past them now, but did you somehow, magically KNOW exactly where you were going the first time YOU played?  (Please no BS about how we should have checked online first.  Some people don't like spoilers.)

Shdy314

Shdy314

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Gee.  First time playing the game.  No idea even HOW to get to the next town, or even that it is possible to do so without fighting at least the one mob.  Psychic I was not.  I've learned how to get past them now, but did you somehow, magically KNOW exactly where you were going the first time YOU played?  (Please no BS about how we should have checked online first.  Some people don't like spoilers.)

LOL. Of course I did. First there's the overland map. So we know we just came from the north. Obviously a cave to the north is not the way to go to reach the next area.

Then there's the road to the south of the map and non hostile npc just across the bridge. 

mrmonocle

mrmonocle

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I went 18/10/15/10/15/10. Picked up all four elem. boost talents, blast and penetrating blast.

neoxyphus

neoxyphus

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I tried to solo a bear in a cave as a lvl 2 wizard and kept getting my ass handed to me.  I eventually left... but I WILL return to enact my vengeance.  

I do worry though, people keep saying the wizard is weak compared to the druid and cipher... is that just early on or does that scale to later on as well?  wizards are always weak in games like baldurs gate early on, but later they become the single most over the top powerful things in existence, stopping time, summons up the wazoo, dragons breath and comets raining from the sky, even opening locks, stone skin and other defenses that make them immune to damage for a bit.  Is none of that incalculable power going to materialize later on?

If not I may just reroll a cipher or druid/chanter.

Lol ... no one can solo a bear at lvl 2... he will wipe your party even with 3 members ... xD (well i did kill it with 3 members ... xD)

Bear is soloable with a rogue at level 2 with blind. Done so on normal. Hard prolly not.

Fimconte

Fimconte

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 63 posts

I went 18/10/15/10/15/10. Picked up all four elem. boost talents, blast and penetrating blast.

Getting all the elemental talents is a bit of a waste, because you're can't spam spells.
Blast and Penetrating blast also kinda meh, since they limit you to wand/rod which have weak average damage against most targets due to DR.

It's much better to go Arquebus/Blunderbuss and Penetrating Shot, Gunner, Weapon Focus + Marksman. 
Mostly because auto-attack damage is such a huge component since you can't spam spell in most trash mob fights.
If you're bringing a chanter, ranged weapons with reload get a nice boost once you get Ila's (level 4) as well.

Wood Elf for the best race due its +5 Accuracy also affecting spells. 

RevBlue

RevBlue

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 204 posts

1st of all, you have your journal and map, so you should know what direction you're supposed to go, a cave is surely not it.

And even then, you should know a low lvl 2 wizard is no match for any wildlife in the beginning of a game, let a lone a bear

Phoynix

Phoynix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

How to kill the bears in the cave with a level 2 wizard.

Stealth... cast slick infront of bears, cast Fan of Flames Twice.

May take a few times... since you know.... AOE attack by the Wizard makes an accuracy check and Wizards accuracy sucks.

Unless you are elf... then all good...

Honestly I have to say the STAT system in the game is retarded.

MIGHT effecting spells is just wrong... and how its put forward in game is physical might...

In Pillars of Eternity Wizards can armwrestle most warriors and win...

Case in point is level 1 Wizard pushing down a wall because he is muscles MacGee.

The GAME itself repeatedly refers to situations that MIGHT is muscle based and so its actually Wizards time to step up to the plate when you need might... its a horrible mechanic that completely breaks immersion.

Of all the things... that alone should never had stayed to release.

So many ways to do it that didnt totally screw Role playing... its actually my biggest annoyance with the game.

If they wanted to do it right they would have seperated damage increase...

Might=physical damage by Physical acts.

Resolve=Physical damage by force of will(Paladin/Priest abilities as example)

Intelligence=Magical damage/healing.

Perception=Increased Duration/AOE for spells/abilities.

RP

Perception is important for any class that deals with the arcane it directly effects how effective a spell will be, while two Wizards could both command the same raw power, the perceptive Wizard can sense and hence direct arcane energies more effectively increasing the duration and area of effect.

Edited by Phoynix, 06 April 2015 - 05:11 PM.

RevBlue

RevBlue

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 204 posts

Will people stop comparing this system to DnD? This isn't supposed to be a version of DnD!

Phoynix

Phoynix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Will people stop comparing this system to DnD? This isn't supposed to be a version of DnD!

Nothing to do with DND.

Its the fact we are asked to suspend disbelief on something so totaly moronic that the average person cant.

In Pillars of Eternity when Little timmy says "daddy I want to be a Wizard when I grow up"

Little Timmy gets told to start bench pressing and execising for 10 hours a day if he wants his fan of flames spell for example to do anything more then light a candle.

The game does NOT devide MIGHT interactions between "spell" and "physical" meaning that often times the mage/druid often is the best choice when epic feat of physical strength needs doing...

You REALLY dont have any problem with this mechanic?

PS-The DEVS themselves refer Pillars of Eternity system to DND during development...

Go tell them off.

Edited by Phoynix, 06 April 2015 - 05:57 PM.

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

Wizard is hardly best choice when it comes to physical strength, melee for example. Out of what picks? Priest and .. priest.

What Might represent is just convention - nothing inherently  wrong about this or that implementation - and there is no need to invoke bench press. Perhaps Wizard should sit down and play chess or something to hone skill.

Anyway .. on topic, I found that Dex is indeed quite important for Wizard who wants to cast fast and casting fast avoids being interrupted along with the benefit of having initiative.  Con, well, depending on play style and difficulty but Per and Res seem to be dump stats for me. Deflection is too low anyway and Spirit Shield can negate the penalty to Concentration. If Wizard is getting hit then DR and Con + spell buffs are solution not Per and Res like with other classes who benefit from Deflection more. 

Edited by knownastherat, 06 April 2015 - 06:25 PM.

Phoynix

Phoynix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Game Disagrees... A Player mage for exmaple is likely to have max might, and be stronger then most  melee chars you come across in the game.. capable of completing might based feats of strength interactions when those MELEE chars cant.

Im going to take the fact you couldnt wrap your mind around this as proof of my point that its silly.

In the Pillars of Eternity world... a Mage that casts strong spells is also physically strong, this is exactly how the game sees it for example in the starting dungeons... a mage can push down the wall other chars need to use a chisel and hammer to destroy.

Wizard is hardly best choice when it comes to physical strength, melee for example. Out of what picks? Priest and .. priest.

What Might represent is just convention - nothing inherently  wrong about this or that implementation - and there is no need to invoke bench press. Perhaps Wizard should sit down and play chess or something to hone skill.

Anyway .. on topic, I found that Dex is indeed quite important for Wizard who wants to cast fast and casting fast avoids being interrupted along with the benefit of having initiative.  Con, well, depending on play style and difficulty but Per and Res seem to be dump stats for me. Deflection is too low anyway and Spirit Shield can negate the penalty to Concentration. If Wizard is getting hit then DR and Con + spell buffs are solution not Per and Res like with other classes who benefit from Deflection more. 

Edited by Phoynix, 06 April 2015 - 06:35 PM.

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

What game disagrees? Any character can have max Mig but if you think that Wizard is good in melee I disagree.

Phoynix

Phoynix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

scripted interactions in game based on might do not make any distinction between a caster/melee.

Lets take playable races.

Orlan are the smallest and weakest race in game, they are also the weakest spell casters.

Aumaua are the strongest and largest race in game, they are also the STRONGEST spell casters.

Spell ability is directly linked in Pillars of Eternity due to mechanics...

Mage needs to pump IRON if they want to cast hard hitting spells.

What game disagrees? Any character can have max Mig but if you think that Wizard is good in melee I disagree.

Edited by Phoynix, 06 April 2015 - 06:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wizard, OP, Exploding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users