By endgame you can easily have 23 or so might and int both on a non-wood elf with +2 or +3 items (belts and necks mostly) and racial bonuses etc.   Int is slightly better than might:  bigger aoes hit more stuffs,  and longer lasting debuffs are longer lasting.   Might just gives a trivial amount more damage so when building favor int over might slightly, for example use a race that has +1 int.   Besides, there is a way to get at least 1 might from doing something in act 1...

I highly recommend marksman, which increases your accuracy at range.  This seems to help land spells.

I highly recommend anything you can get to buff accuracy, so a wood elf is a viable race for the ranged bonus, at the cost of not having INT or MIGHT race bonuses.   /shrug you gotta choose, stats or accuracy.... both are valid.

I highly recommend a couple of the "utility" talents that increase damage for one element significantly.  

Accuract with your current weapon *seems* to affect spell hits.  So buy an exceptional weapon asap and possibly grab the weapon family for it.  A bow or wand or something is fine,  if you are not going for a melee build. 

Spells... well learn them all and experiment.  slicken is awesome.  Having a lot of bonus spells at rank 1  is very strong -- by level 9 you could easily have 6 or 7 level 1 spell uses PER ENCOUNTER allowing a cheezy slicken-spam deathmage  -- just alternate slicken and your big booms.   There is this ring in a cave that gives bonus spells....  rappel off the cliffs when doing the hunter's search, the first one... 

• 7 months later...

Dam you guys pathetic wizards :D

I managed to solo bear on hard with my wizard and managed to kill bandits on POTD easy, haven't tried bear on POTD yet though. You just need the right spells. For example the parasitic staff spell is crazy strong at lower levels. You can output really nice damage plus it heals you. Then you have wizards double which gives 40 deflection which is crazy especially together with arcane veil you are practically unhitable. Slicken is also crazy good for that nice CC and fan of flames situational as well best for multiple enemies if you managed to live long enough to cast it.

Later on AOE CC spells like confusion are also really great. Necrotic lance can be really amazing to quickly take out single targets.

Wizard is an awesome class, it just happened to probably be the hardest one to play. You just need to experiment a little because you don't usually end up using same spells all the time you need to change them depending on how many enemies you are facing and type of enemy.

Dam you guys pathetic wizards :D

I managed to solo bear on hard with my wizard and managed to kill bandits on POTD easy, haven't tried bear on POTD yet though. You just need the right spells. For example the parasitic staff spell is crazy strong at lower levels. You can output really nice damage plus it heals you. Then you have wizards double which gives 40 deflection which is crazy especially together with arcane veil you are practically unhitable. Slicken is also crazy good for that nice CC and fan of flames situational as well best for multiple enemies if you managed to live long enough to cast it.

Later on AOE CC spells like confusion are also really great. Necrotic lance can be really amazing to quickly take out single targets.

Wizard is an awesome class, it just happened to probably be the hardest one to play. You just need to experiment a little because you don't usually end up using same spells all the time you need to change them depending on how many enemies you are facing and type of enemy.

Bear on PotD is really easy if you are level 3. Some have done it on 2 lol.

I also like the level 2 AoE DoT spell, it only does corrode dmg but for such a lowlevel spell it's still insane.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Max Might. Race, Aumaua. Get some decent and intelligence. The living lands background for +1 might.

2 Get Parasitic staff spell.

3 Get Aloth, Durance and Eder.

4 Whenever you have to fight, have your character and Aloth cast Parasitic staff.

5 Get Eder on the front to block enemy advance.

6 Your character and Aloth go one step behind Eder. 

7 Durance casts divine armor, followed by the lvl 2 spell that grants aoe heal for a duration

8 Eder uses knockdown.

9 Your character and Aloth attack with the parasitic staffs. All 3 focus the same target, one at a time.\

10 Durance continues to cast healing and support spells as needed from the back of the formation.  

11 Your Character and Aloth cast spells as needed. 

12 When the main enemy line is broken, Eder, Your char, Aloth and Durance stop what their'd doing and charge the remains with all weapons. 

Damage on pure might parasitic staff is so high you'll continually turn enemies into bloodsplatters. The Parasitic staffs are long weapons, so the two wizards dont get hit, while dealing enormous melee damage from behind Eder.Eder can take unbelieavable amounts of punishment when properly suported by durance, specially if the enemy targets die quickly to his sword +2 parasitic staffs. Durance heals the party, the two wizards heal themselves (every time the parasitic part of the parasitic staff kicks in) and Eder has a healing ability and second wind thingy from his unique armor. 

I haven't yet finished the game but this strategy hasn't lost me  a single battle in the first part of the game yet. Raedric and his goon-squad got squished under the meatgrinder when i used a small door as a choke point.  Also its quite simple, when you dont see huge enemy numbers, just cast two parasitic staffs and charge everyone, more often than not you squash the enemy without any damage or casualties. 

I dont get why this spell is so uber at low level compared to substandar stuff like minoleta's missiles... I mean, it deals a TON of damage, increases your accurarcy by +8, gives you a long ranged weapon attack so you aren't really into enemy range *(unless poleaxes) and LIFE LEECHS. Also, putting points into might not only makes you a dreadnought of destruction when using this killer staff, it also enhances all of your other spells.

You'r sort of superman. Megastrong melee, and heat vision/freezing breath when range is required. 

There is only one serious con> You are a glass cannon. Do not get hit. It will hurt. Very much. Let Eder do that, he's great! Also, you can stuck durance in a heavy armor and use him to help Eder Tank if needed... Not the best strategy, but it can work if you cant get a chokepoint narrow enough. 

I suppose this could be done with less might, but i like hitting enemies for 40 dmg and see the pieces flying away. 

Did you use that tactics on PotD? Normally this group would be swarmed and your wizards would get targeted by casters and archers. In the beginning of the game there aren't very big mobs. Later one or two sturdy guys just aren't enough. But at the beginning - especially with chokepoints - it's a good strategy.

The staff is so good because wizards have very poor base ACC, low endurance (even if they didn't dump CON) and it's the only way that they can take part in melee fights a lower levels without being completely useless. At lower levels it's quite a sacrifice that you have to cast a spell for every encounter - unless you like to rest a lot of course.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Did you use that tactics on PotD? Normally this group would be swarmed and your wizards would get targeted by casters and archers. In the beginning of the game there aren't very big mobs. Later one or two sturdy guys just aren't enough. But at the beginning - especially with chokepoints - it's a good strategy.

The staff is so good because wizards have very poor base ACC, low endurance (even if they didn't dump CON) and it's the only way that they can take part in melee fights a lower levels without being completely useless. At lower levels it's quite a sacrifice that you have to cast a spell for every encounter - unless you like to rest a lot of course.

Archers are a problem. I have been trying to get them to target Eder by hiding behind corners and somesuch, but it hasn't really stopped me because using the parasitic staffs doesnt mean my wizards cant also cast spells at them... But more often than not i just break their melee line and then charge everyone against the archers. Duran's third spell is usually a seal of repulsion in front of Eder to knock down the melee line asap and get them dead faster. Ocasionally i make the wizards target a paralysis spell on ranged wizards and archers too. 

Also, this is low lvl. I have yet to see how the situation changes when i get higher level abilities and spells on all characters. And i need two more elements to my party!