Problem with fullscreen (steam)

TheOne320

Question

Since I checked the integrity of the game files today, the game will not run in fullscreen mode any more. No matter if the fullscreen box is ticked or not , the game will be in windowed borderless. I want to run it in full-screen mode to use gsync. Does anyone have a solution? Additionally whose weird idea was it to save the config in the registry?

17 answers to this question

I am having issues with fullscreen too. However, mine does run in fullscreen, but the screen saver and taskbar notifications are active. Try having combat interrupted by a silly AV message :) I'm also running the Steam version. Out of curiosity, are you running an Nvdia card too? There seem to be issues.

Same issue here, Radeon card, though.

Fullscreen worked fine day 1. I changed it to windowed at some point. Today when I try to re-enable fullscreen mode the taskbar is still visible and covering the bottom portion of the game screen.

After reading in a few other topics with similar problems, I think this game is not currently running in true fullscreen ever, even if you have the fullscreen check-box checked. I'm pretty sure the game is running in borderless window mode at desktop resolution when fullscreen is requested. I *thought* I was running in fullscreen since I had that checked, and it *looked* like I was. Its a bit hazy if this only affects Nvdia, or if this is like this for everyone.

I'm sure they will address this eventually. At least I do understand what is going on now. Maybe....

I'm having a similar problem where I can't get the game to go into windowed mode...

You can actually do that by manually changing the video settings in the registry if you're familiar with how to do that.  I discovered this by accident trying to make fullscreen work.  Change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\_currentDisplayMode_h1512211402 to 0.

To save anyone else looking into this some time, and effort. From my own tests - you cannot force exclusive fullscreen on this. At least not in the current game version, as of me writing this.

When testing it, I tried to brute force the game to run in exclusive fullscreen, and the engine didn't like it whatsoever. 3d stuff, such as characters, etc, would have their vertices showing. Also, my gpu load skyrocketed from about ~40%, to 99%+

I just thought I'd post, in case anyone else was still trying to get it working.

Edited by Asmodean-

To save anyone else looking into this some time, and effort. From my own tests - you cannot force exclusive fullscreen on this. At least not in the current game version, as of me writing this.

When testing it, I tried to brute force the game to run in exclusive fullscreen, and the engine didn't like it whatsoever. 3d stuff, such as characters, etc, would have their vertices showing. Also, my gpu load skyrocketed from about ~40%, to 99%+

I just thought I'd post, in case anyone else was still trying to get it working.

If you look up a few posts, you'll see that a workaround has already been found by forcing the game engine to use the OpenGL renderer.  I just played for 2 hours like that and didn't run into any graphical errors or instability.

It's unfortunately a problem with the Unity engine so it depends on whether or not the developers even notice the issue, rather than it being a deliberate choice by the developers.  I'm not hopeful, but at least we have the OpenGL workaround.