ALT-tab PAUSES the game, really Obsidian?

My only big annoyance honestly.

Please patch in patch 1.3 ASAP. Need to alt-tab while my party runs long distances across the map. Big quality of life improvement.

Also patch in naming your saves.

• Like 2

Calibrating...

As long as we're on unexpected small things like that, double-clicking an item in your inventory is what splits a stack? Really? Took me five minutes to work that out since I assumed doing so would use the item.

You can use items on your party members by clicking the item and the clicking on your party member's 3d model in the inventory screen. You can buff your entire team super quickly that way. I learned this from watching Josh Sawyer yesterday streaming.

But now I learned you can split stacks, cool.

• Like 3

Calibrating...

As long as we're on unexpected small things like that, double-clicking an item in your inventory is what splits a stack?  Really?  Took me five minutes to work that out since I assumed doing so would use the item.

You can use items on your party members by clicking the item and the clicking on your party member's 3d model in the inventory screen. You can buff your entire team super quickly that way. I learned this from watching Josh Sawyer yesterday streaming.

But now I learned you can split stacks, cool.

Thank you, that's three things I've learned in the last five minutes that I didn't know, and will really help me out!

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

As long as we're on unexpected small things like that, double-clicking an item in your inventory is what splits a stack?  Really?  Took me five minutes to work that out since I assumed doing so would use the item.

Thank you for posting this!  I've been scratching my head for ages trying to figure that out. 

Wait, does this mean we can't task-switch in-game?

That's... mildly irritating. Not really as annoying as it could be (as my Win 7 drive is specifically for games, so the only thing I'd likely to want to be switching to is Firefox - all the documentations and CADs modelling is on my Win XP hard drive), but it is a bit. (It's not like it's the only game I've found that to be mildly annoying on. I think SotS 2 doesn't like it either (won't go back to fullscreen from windowed if you do without restarting the game, and I've played 95 hours on that, so..!)

One presumes that if this is the case, they did because they found the game's unstable if Alt-tabbed...?

This was how I always did to split stacks in the IE games...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

This was how I always did to split stacks in the IE games...

SHIFT-click was my MO.

Have you tried using "-popupwindow" as the command argument in your Steam launch options/after the call the main program in the shortcut until Obsidian gets around to fix it?

That should make the game run in a borderless window that takes up the entire screen, and as far as I remember that fixed it for me in the Backer beta.

• Like 1

I swear I must have tried holding every key on my keyboard and clicking the stack before I got it :D

"Is it t-click?  No... maybe x-click?  No, not that either..."

"damn that shoved it back into stash"  *drags food stack out of stash for the x00th time*

Cool info!  But wait a minute, every game I play damn well better pause when I alt-tab out of it!  That's like, practically OS behavior contract.

Might be slightly inconvenient at times, but we gotta enforce standards here, man!

Cool info!  But wait a minute, every game I play damn well better pause when I alt-tab out of it!  That's like, practically OS behavior contract.

Might be slightly inconvenient at times, but we gotta enforce standards here, man!

Am I misunderstanding here? I thought the OP appeared to be complaining that Alt-Tab paused the game (instead of task switching), but wiith your post I am wondering ig am  just being daft and he meant that he's irritated the game pauses WHILE Alt-Tabbed...?

(That does seem to make more sense, since when I Alt-Tab out of a game, it's usually to look something up/have to do some other job, so I sort of want it to be paused, as opposed to letting the game play in the background... I mean, with PoE's autopause set up I guess it's not like you;d be wiped out while you wer off-screen, but still. (I think generally pause (and usually save!) before Alt-Tabbing as a matter of course, mind.)

No pretty much every game continues to function in the background unless it has a setting not to.  As an example I just recently started a new playthrough of Mass Effect 3 and alt-tabed out to browse the web during the unskippable intro movie, then came back a bit later.

• Like 1

My only big annoyance honestly.

Please patch in patch 1.3 ASAP. Need to alt-tab while my party runs long distances across the map. Big quality of life improvement.

Also patch in naming your saves.

I think the pausing is a great feature!  An option to turn it on or off I wouldn't think would be too difficult though. 

Yes to naming saves!

Yeaaaah, my game keeps alt tabbing b itself for some reason, so I'm kinda happy it does that tbh.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

Have you tried using "-popupwindow" as the command argument in your Steam launch options/after the call the main program in the shortcut until Obsidian gets around to fix it?

That should make the game run in a borderless window that takes up the entire screen, and as far as I remember that fixed it for me in the Backer beta.

That works? Funny because I used that from the beginning of the backer beta and forgot to add that to the final version, nice!

Calibrating...

Game doesn't pause when I alt-Tab. I'm using borderless fullscreen, not exclusive though (As everyone should - it's the future)

I added "-popupwindow" in the PoE steam launch options, I still pause when I alt-tab. So it isn't working.

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Game doesn't pause when I alt-Tab. I'm using borderless fullscreen, not exclusive though (As everyone should - it's the future)

I added "-popupwindow" in the PoE steam launch options, I still pause when I alt-tab. So it isn't working.

You dont need to use the "-popupwindow" launch option... just untick the Fullscreen option in the graphics menu  and the game will run in borderless window by default and without pause if you alt tab.

Edited by madPav3L
  • Like 1

You dont need to use the "-popupwindow" launch option... just untick the Fullscreen option in the graphics menu  and the game will run in borderless window by default and without pause if you alt tab.

That doesn't work right when the selected resolution and refresh rate match your original desktop resolution. I found that out streaming the game, I get massive latency spikes every 2 frames in fullscreen mode, which prevents me from streaming 3840x2160 60 Hz (my desktop resolution). I have to use either 4096x2160 or some non-4K resolution to work around that.

Nice, that worked! 

Calibrating...