Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

melee cipher build

cipher melee build skills attributes

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2010 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV
I don't really see whats special about 15 dmg, 2 focus and killing lions. When I killed the ogre and elder bears I was constantly going up to 90, burning it in few seconds and up again. I would have gotten slaughtered with your approach tbh. ;)

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

Special is only the fact that statement: You will never build enough focus in melee, low level to use your powers permanently. is not supported by evidence.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2010 posts
That was meant for all fights not the weakest monsters you can find.;)

Ruminate

Ruminate

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

A heavy armored cipher wielding an estoc, without draining whip, and without retaliation, can generate focus faster than a naked cipher wielding a blunderbuss with draining whip. (keyword: can, not will)

Estocs deal much more DPS compared to a blunderbuss against low/medium DR targets, and much more DPS against higher DR targets.

The higher your DPS, the higher your focus generation.

Since draining whip is a static +12 focus per blunderbuss volley(12 focus is equivalent to 48 damage... keyword: damage, not DPS), there is a threshold where a certain amount of damage bonus will allow the heavy armored estoc to eclipse the naked blunderbuss.

Naked Ciphers with dual stilettos and draining whip can probably generate focus the fastest of them all, though.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Can't generate focus if you're dirt napping though.  Suppose if you generate it fast enough you can mental bind everything in sight so you don't have to worry about dirt napping.

Edited by Climhazzard, 17 April 2015 - 04:28 PM.

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Steam:Psychevore
nxLYp3.jpg

Fully intend to melee with this build.

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

Death is good choice imo. Mig and Con somehow weighted  too. With low Mig damage spells are not appealing but with 15 and fast cast 3 Res should not play much role I guess.

Daemonjax

Daemonjax

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 344 posts

Melee cipher, how it works:

step 1: paralyze enemy in close range

step 2: beat on it, preferably with weapons with damage procs on crit

step 3: kill enemy before paralyze duration runs out or go back to step 1

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts

Death is good choice imo. Mig and Con somehow weighted  too. With low Mig damage spells are not appealing but with 15 and fast cast 3 Res should not play much role I guess.

I do not intend to get hit, hence the 3 con and 3 resolve.

I will most likely start off the battles with a blunderbuss shot though, or whatever gun I can get my hands on. Just like I did with my rogue, so the fighter and paladin can get into position.

Edited by Psychevore, 17 April 2015 - 11:44 PM.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2010 posts

Melee cipher, how it works:

step 1: paralyze enemy in close range

step 2: beat on it, preferably with weapons with damage procs on crit

step 3: kill enemy before paralyze duration runs out or go back to step 1

That's just not true you would never build enough focus in 14 secs of attack minus your recovery time after casting. Also theres groups of enemies very frequently.

Spells higher than paralyze are better than paralyze anyway. :)

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

It costs 15 Focus every 14 sec (which is not but whatever). If cipher cannot build 15 Focus in 14 sec well I don't know what to say.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2010 posts
Do you even play Potd?

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

No I play Easy and I am trolling you here.

I even included screen shot. In that scree shot enemy was almost perma-paralyzed and at the end of the fight I had 43 Focus enough to cast almost 3 x paralyze. That is with 3 Mig for lulz

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2010 posts
In my game there are no mere lions left at level 6.

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

What that has to do with anything? 15 Focus every 14 sec on PotD melee cipher. You claim its impossible and I have screen shot proving you wrong. What is the matter with you?

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
You took a screenshot lasting 14 seconds?

lmao

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts

:)

Initial Focus 40

Mental Binding (paralyze) cost 15 Focus

According to combat log enemy was paralyzed almost whole time and if it was not it was not of lack of Focus but bad timing

End Focus 43

If you want to put it that way, yes I took screen shot lasting 14 sec. Though I am still not sure where those 14 comes from. Mine hits are for 9 sec and grazes for 4.5 sec and target was still paralyzed the whole time despite much shorter time than in dispute.

lamo

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
My point is that you can't prove this stuff with screenshots, you need a video.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2010 posts
A lion is just way easier to hit than armored foes, thats why you build focus easier.

Daemonjax

Daemonjax

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 344 posts

It's not like the OP was asking for some solo run melee tank cipher ownage build.

With 5 other characters in the party, you can be a melee cipher when it's appropriate and used ranged when it's not.

The ideal situation to switch to melee cipher is against an easy to crit target target that's paralyzed and debuffed (preferably trying to attack someone else), dual-wielding spell proccing weapons -- and the faster the better.  Why melee at all?  Because you already used your blunderbuss and don't want to waste time reloading it.  Plus style points.

Edited by Daemonjax, 18 April 2015 - 02:40 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cipher, melee, build, skills, attributes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users