[Spoiler] Outlaw healing faster than I can damage him

I've encountered an enemy that is unkillable. I can damage him but then his health returns to full before I can do any more damage.

I'm very early into the game, level 2 and just made it to Valewood. I've encountered an outlaw camp with a dwarf captive forced to do cooking for them. Two of the outlaws die pretty quick but the third one just refuses to die.

Has anyone else had this problem? Seems like a bug to me.

I beat him dual wielding as a Paladin. I had the flame attack ability which I saved him for him.

Go into scout mode and sneak behind the archer if you can. Take out the bandit first and then the archer. Then use your flame attack on the Outlaw twice in a row and he goes down quickly. You might be able to do it with a 2h weapon too. Go all The Mountain on his ass.

The outlaw is like a fighter, I believe, in that he constantly regenerates an amount of Endurance (it's Endurance, isn't it?). If you're not a perfect fighter and don't hit fast/often enough, he'll regenerate more than you can damage him, so yeah. Try different tactics, or avoid that fight for now.

I think that transition area is pretty tough; I avoided most of the fights with my cipher. It took me five tries to defeat the three wolves in the South of the map, while the bandits and the outlaw were totally impossible! I think it's simply that my class build isn't any good in close combat. Or I suck very badly.

The outlaw is like a fighter, I believe, in that he constantly regenerates an amount of Endurance (it's Endurance, isn't it?). If you're not a perfect fighter and don't hit fast/often enough, he'll regenerate more than you can damage him, so yeah. Try different tactics, or avoid that fight for now.

I think that transition area is pretty tough; I avoided most of the fights with my cipher. It took me five tries to defeat the three wolves in the South of the map, while the bandits and the outlaw were totally impossible! I think it's simply that my class build isn't any good in close combat. Or I suck very badly.

I managed to take down the wolves, but only by burning both of my gauns pledges and a potion. I didn't even try for the bandits. Ciphers are a support class, not a front-line class. :-D

Enemy fighters have constant recovery, which can make them quite hard to kill with single character that don't have high DPS, as they don't have in my understanding have health and therefore don't die for just doing damage for long period of time, although I am not sure, as my tank chanter was able to kill Outlaw fighter in that second area, even though it took quite lot time to do so, they may have health stat but it is just so high that it causes make it feel that you can't wear them out.

Hmm, I'm doing a cipher on hard and was able to get the bandits on first try and wolves on second. I'd recommend carrying multiple weapon types. For the bandits and wolves I used a 2h weapon to knock down health quickly. Also, I had previously created several wizard flame aoe scrolls and those were very useful for the wolf fight. The aoe blind is also useful in the early game as well.

OP, check out if your character is fatigued (little icon next to your portrait). Fatigue hits accuracy pretty badly, it makes a lot of your hits into grazes or misses, which allows the bandits to recover health while you are swinging uselessly. As always, a rest would remove fatigue.
Since I'm rolling a druid, I opened up with that cone of cold like spell, which took a good portion of their health and then switched to cat mode. Cat attacks are extremely fast, especially with the special ability enabled. 

Edited by Gorbag

Nothing gold can stay.

If you turned on developer commentary, it specifically mentions that transition area as "non-linear", suggesting that you can either try to solo that area or come back later after recruiting npcs in Gilded Vale. So yeah, it's totally legitimate to avoid these parts at the beginning and come back later.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Hmm, I'm doing a cipher on hard and was able to get the bandits on first try and wolves on second. I'd recommend carrying multiple weapon types. For the bandits and wolves I used a 2h weapon to knock down health quickly. Also, I had previously created several wizard flame aoe scrolls and those were very useful for the wolf fight. The aoe blind is also useful in the early game as well.

But it also depends on your build, I guess. I have something like 13 MIG, 8 CON, 15 DEX and 17 INT, with RES and PER somewhere at 11 or 12. It's just not a frontline build and going against three bandits is a bit much.

Also I did not prepare scrolls. :p Didn't even know that was already possible.

Edit: Oh, right, and I was using a rapier maybe? Damn, I keep forgetting how important weapon types are.

Edited by Fearabbit

enemy fighters restore endurance just like your own fighters. and the less hits you land on them, the sooner they will get back to full. and just like your characters, they have health too that will be depleeted if you chip away at their endurance over several regenerations

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Now how is any of this spoiler free?  Everyone made a big deal about my post about the flavor text (which wasn't actually spoilers at all), when you all are discussing specific SPOILER encounters!  Double standard people, sheesh.  And to be on topic, I didn't notice anyone healing in that fight, but I did wait until I had 3 in my party before attempting it.

My rogue couldn't beat them either...three on one, well, too much to handle for me at that point but ... recruited some folks in Gilded Vale and it was payback time (including the bloody bear! :devil: )

Vox: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me Vox

Are you ... like a crazy person?

Vox: I’m quite sure they will say so.

Now how is any of this spoiler free?  Everyone made a big deal about my post about the flavor text (which wasn't actually spoilers at all), when you all are discussing specific SPOILER encounters!  Double standard people, sheesh.  And to be on topic, I didn't notice anyone healing in that fight, but I did wait until I had 3 in my party before attempting it.

True. Tagged & moved.

My Chanter had zero issues with this area even on hard, but when I tried it again on my Cipher, I just walked away and came back later. I don't see how you can handle the wolves as a Cipher, unless you are a bit lucky with the Rolls.

The bear tho?, I don't think that is possible on any kind of build.

I was a priest and had no chance of killing this group or the wolf pack at the time.  I equipped a bow, shot the bandits, then ran to the wolves and shot the wolves, then ran away.  The wolves killed the outlaw and the archer for me, and I soloed a bandit :)

• Like 1