Hello,

I've just started (exited the ruins, ready to level up to level 2) with a Cipher PC. I am however unsure which talent to pick.

I know that the Cipher gains focus by attacking with their weapon, and I've seen that attacking with a crossbow gives more focus than with a hunting bow, but not nearly as much as the damage I do. Is focus gained a percentage of the damage dealt or is it some fixed amount based in the attack speed of the weapon?

If it is based on damage would choosing Biting Whip grant more focus than Draining Whip if I use a slow weapon or is it always better to choose Draining Whip if my goal is to gain more focus?

Hello,

I've just started (exited the ruins, ready to level up to level 2) with a Cipher PC. I am however unsure which talent to pick.

I know that the Cipher gains focus by attacking with their weapon, and I've seen that attacking with a crossbow gives more focus than with a hunting bow, but not nearly as much as the damage I do. Is focus gained a percentage of the damage dealt or is it some fixed amount based in the attack speed of the weapon?

Wait, what? How does that work really?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm thinking of going Cipher myself, but with duel wield.  I would like to have a ranged weapon, usually i roll with bows, but they seem woefully underpowered compared to guns.  I know they are faster, but if they are 4 times weaker per hit, they would need to be 4 times faster to make up the difference.  I'm sure someone will do all the math eventually, but right now, looks like guns are the way to go over bows.

According to the guide:

Focus is a resource that ciphers require to cast their powers. Ciphers 
begin combat with a modest amount of Focus, but their more advanced 
techniques demand large expenditures of Focus. Additionally, repeated 
uses of even minor powers will quickly drain a cipher’s Focus, requiring 
them to dive into physical combat to generate more. The way they get 
Focus is by doing damage to enemies with melee and ranged weapons. 
So send your cipher into combat with traditional weapons to build your 
Focus. When it’s maxed out, their inherent damage bonuses get turned 

off because their Focus is full and they can’t drain any more.

Edited by saif3r

This Wall doesn't have hole in it.

You gain 1 focus for every 3-4 damage points you deal (approximately). So harder you hit more focus you get.

Thank you, that does indeed seem to be the ratio of damage to focus gained.

Edited by Abtacha

You gain 1 focus for every 3-4 damage points you deal (approximately). So harder you hit more focus you get.

Thank you, that does indeed seem to be the ratio of damage to focus gained.

The only place where it really matters is the talent you pick - if you're using (most) 1-handed melee or the faster/weaker ranged weapons + blunderbusses, take draining whip, otherwise take biting whip.

From what I can tell the in-game suggestions aren't always accurate from a min-max perspective though they may be good suggestions for either well-rounded characters or a casual playthrough.

Unless your character is a tank, you might as well max might... though I am still pretty early in the game.

Edited by ShadowTiger

Might and Int are the twin key stats for Ciphers, though Dex is useful. My current Cipher finding Hard difficulty very easy, with the following build:

Wood Elf - Old Vailia - Aristocrat

Mig 18

Con 3

Dex 19

Per 9

Int 19

Res 10

If you worry about spectral mobs teleporting or casters, then drop Dex to 11 to get Con and Per to 10.