I feel exactly opposite. For me voice acting often ruins the game, because typically it's rather badly acted. The main cast is good sometimes (Bioware does a good job) but the rest is usually repetitive  (always the same actors for different characters) and sometimes rather cheesy. If you take away the body expressions you see in a AAA 3D game there is not much left to express nuances. In a 2D game like this text it the better option imo, you have dialogue and descriptions, the imagination does the rest.

Same. I find it really annoying to hear voice speaking while I'm playing. Being a person who has no problem reading books, I find it easier to read text than to listen.

I like some voice acting, but I completely disagree with the OP on its importance. While it can give a good feel for a character, it also has the potential to completely throw you out of the game if it doesn't fit your impression of that character or (even worse) if the VA is bad or inconsistent. I feel bad for the OP, as he's missing out on what looks to be a stellar offering from Obs and has also missed out on two other great games in WL2 and D:OS due to what I feel is something very minor. And that's a shame.

Having said that, my impression of the game pretty much mirrors PrimeJunta's.

Edited by Ink Blot

"I didn't do my research and demand all games cater to what I personally want even though this Kickstarted game was obviously made for a target audience that does not include me, so this game is unplayable and bad." -Suna

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I knew exactly what kind of game I buying. I just wanted to give the game a chance. Overall it is a nice game. But without Voice acting it feels like year 1990 where technology was primitive. Zelda series works with text only because there aren't that much to read. Most of the Stories are told through gameplay in the Zelda series. But when there are to much to read it becomes very tiresome. Or try Mario Nintendo 64 for example. In Mario you still read text but there are not that much to read. Text games works just fine but when there are to much reading then your eyes gets very tired :w00t:

It feels like I was going back to school all over again. I do enjoy the game. I just dont like the reading part of the game. It was too overwhelming. 

I like voice acting in games where it's mostly about characters speaking to each other, in short exchanges. Good voice acting can definitely be additive if it's a game designed for voice acting.

But there's a reason I personally don't/can't listen to audio-books.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I knew exactly what kind of game I buying. I just wanted to give the game a chance. Overall it is a nice game. But without Voice acting it feels like year 1990 where technology was primitive. Zelda series works with text only because there aren't that much to read. Most of the Stories are told through gameplay in the Zelda series. But when there are to much to read it becomes very tiresome. Or try Mario Nintendo 64 for example. In Mario you still read text but there are not that much to read. Text games works just fine but when there are to much reading then your eyes gets very tired :w00t:

It feels like I was going back to school all over again. I do enjoy the game. I just dont like the reading part of the game. It was too overwhelming. 

Just a tip:

Don't buy Torment:Tides of Numenera when it comes out.

wow. A feedback thread with scores? If this is not a troll topic then I dunno what to say than this. Why would anyone took you serious If your game progress cant pass 6 hours? With any game!

I mean what is this? I know all people went to play PoE, but after 16 hours I just wanted to check it out to see whats been up? Nwm. Gona read some more pages from the colectors book then continue playing. Gee

btw I think voice acting is top notch. Also much more than I expected so thats a bonus.

• Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Hey OP, thanks for letting me know there's no voice acting in the game!

I guess I was just hallucinating when I heard Aloth and Calisca talking to me. I'd love to talk more but I need to find a sanitarium so I can commit myself. Thanks again!

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Hey OP, thanks for letting me know there's no voice acting in the game!

I guess I was just hallucinating when I heard Aloth and Calisca talking to me. I'd love to talk more but I need to find a sanitarium so I can commit myself. Thanks again!

There are voice acting in the game. The reason I give i 1/10 score.

What I did not like was that not all lines on all dialogues was voiced over.

Overall it is a nice crowd funded game.

Partial voice overs, as they've done here, are perfect for me since what I've heard is of high-quality. If a studio can't hire the best voice overs, I'd rather all text. Though the very first guy, caravan master Odama?, his voice somewhat disappointed me since I just got finished playing Wasteland 2 a couple months ago, and all I could hear was General Vargas (same voice actor). 

It's like reading the book and seeing the movie. The book is always better for me since my own imagination animates and voices the characters, atmosphere, etc. When I watch the movie I often have trouble seeing past the "set" and the "actor" who's ...  well...  acting.

I'm a few hours in and loving it. The writing, the story and the mechanics all feel spot on and give me the same good feels I had playing BG2 as a kid. However, I practically leapt out of my seat during character creation when I realized I could make a black character who isn't a designer's afterthought. He can have varied facial features, skin tones, and hair styles. His culture isn't pigeonholed into stereotypes based upon the modern White perceptions of Black people in the United States.  In fact, there is a fully developed culture to which he belongs, and I chuckled when I realized it seemed to be old Europe. As a result, he can be of any background or class without stretching the lore!

I was caught off guard at how happy this all made me. Maybe it's that I've never encountered my own background so fully and thoughtfully represented in a game before. Either way, I'm grateful! Given the setting, it makes me wonder if Obsidian has explored the ramifications of colonization on oppressed peoples in some parts of the game. If not, that's ok. At this point, it's great to just have visible representation. 

Edited by Brasidas
  • Like 1

No full voice acting to me is fine. The initial voice acting already have me memorized how the NPC character sound and immediately know his or her personality. I can even portray how each text were spoken based on the initial voice over. And that leave more immersion to me.

No voice acting. Voice for me is the important part of the game. I feel that voice acting gives the characters souls that makes the game experince more enjoyable. I did not support Kickstarter but I just bought the game just to try it out. I quit after 5 hours into the game. I feel that reading text makes me tired & no voice acting makes the dialogues less fun. Anyway I just want to say that VOICE ACTING IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR MODERN GAMES.

And I want to make big feedback short. So I just do a 1 - 10 scale.

Combat System 6/10

Story 10/10

Sound effects 10/10

RPG system 10/10

Graphics 8/10

Exploration 7/10

Voice acting 1/10

Just so you know. You do not need to feel left out. I did not finish Divinity Original Sin or Wasteland 2 either. Because these games have no voice acting.

It really destroyed the game experience for me but yes yes I know. Kickstarter has limited budget bla bla :D

I quit playing Wasteland 5 hours into the game. I quit playing Divinity Original Sin 6 hours into the game. And I stopped playing Pillars of Eternity because reading dialogues is just not preferance. The story is actually very awesome but I just could not finish the game without voice acting on dialogues.

Have you considered that maybe RPGs aren't your genre?

• Like 1

No voice acting. Voice for me is the important part of the game. I feel that voice acting gives the characters souls that makes the game experince more enjoyable. I did not support Kickstarter but I just bought the game just to try it out. I quit after 5 hours into the game. I feel that reading text makes me tired & no voice acting makes the dialogues less fun. Anyway I just want to say that VOICE ACTING IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR MODERN GAMES.

Combat System 6/10

Story 10/10

Sound effects 10/10

RPG system 10/10

Graphics 8/10

Exploration 7/10

Voice acting 1/10

Just so you know. You do not need to feel left out. I did not finish Divinity Original Sin or Wasteland 2 either. Because these games have no voice acting.

It really destroyed the game experience for me but yes yes I know. Kickstarter has limited budget bla bla :D

I quit playing Wasteland 5 hours into the game. I quit playing Divinity Original Sin 6 hours into the game. And I stopped playing Pillars of Eternity because reading dialogues is just not preferance. The story is actually very awesome but I just could not finish the game without voice acting on dialogues.

I do like RPG games. Here are the RPG I have played and liked.

Spellforce 1 & 2

Star Wars: Knights of the old republic 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1,2 & 3

Dungeon Siege 2 & 3

Dragon Age 1,2 & 3

Zelda

Fable 1, 2, & 3

Titan Quest

And also Van Helsing 1 & 2

Most of us actually prefer it this way, hehe. Full voice acting is one of the reasons games like this disappeared at the turn of the millennium.

Do we though? I mean, sure, we all agree that this game being made without full voice-acting, is better than it not being made, with full voice-acting. But everything equal, I fail to see what makes written english superior to spoken english. Sure, there is the whole imagination aspect, where we ourselves get to give the characters a voice in our heads, but when most important characters are already voiced to an extent, that kinda makes that a mute point (pun intended).

All that being said, the relative improvement of the game being fully voiced is not a huge issue for me, but honestly, everything equal? Yeah, I'd prefer it being voiced.

Edited by Prime-Mover

You know, a lot

Combat System 6/10
Story 10/10
Sound effects 10/10
RPG system 10/10

Graphics 8/10

Exploration 7/10

Voice acting 1/10

I do like RPG games. Here are the RPG I have played and liked.

Spellforce 1 & 2

Star Wars: Knights of the old republic 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1,2 & 3

Dungeon Siege 2 & 3

Dragon Age 1,2 & 3

Zelda

Fable 1, 2, & 3

Titan Quest

And also Van Helsing 1 & 2

A lot of those games aren't RPGs. They're action games with stats.

Partial voice acting, like is done in the game, can be a bit jarring. Why is X line voice acted, but Y one isn't? 

There are also parts where a character says something, and the narration puts emphasis on an emotion but the voice acting, well, doesn't. 

But, quality VA work like you see CD Projeckt and Bioware doing is very expensive and not within the budget of a Kickstarter title unless it gets Star Citizen levels of backing or something. So I fully understand why Obsidian did it. At least Kana, Sagani and Durance are well voice acted, even if Edér and Aloth are a bit less so. The voice actors for random NPCs are usually passable, they still stick out after playing Inquisition and its well voiced cast but nothing to worry about.

For the next kickstarter game I recommend putting in voice acting on all dialogues at 3 or 4 million as stretch goal.

I do not know if Obsidian is going kickstarter route for their next game.

Edited by Suna

@Jasta11 and @Suna: budget isn't the only reason they didn't do it. They wanted to be able to keep polishing the text until the last minute. With full voice acting they wouldn't have been able to do that: everything would have to have been set in stone six months before release. Not having full voice means we got much better text. It's also nothing to do with technology.

As Josh put it, "if you don't like reading, this isn't the game for you."

Lots of us do like reading.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

There's also the fact that full voice means a much larger game size. Probably not a big deal to many people, but that can put a big bite on some peoples' bandwidth caps as well as makes it that much more of a pain in the tuckus when you have slow DL speeds.

For the next kickstarter game I recommend putting in voice acting on all dialogues at 3 or 4 million as stretch goal.

I do not know if Obsidian is going kickstarter route for their next game.

For full voice acting of this game you would need to have stretch goal of 10-15mln and have it in development for another 6months if not more

Basically create the game then do the voice acting and even then some dialogs could be revisited. I already saw some dialogs where what the actor said was not word to word with what was written.

Edited by Darkpriest

I do hope this will not be a "one and done" project. The world, the setting, the atmosphere and the level of detail and craft that went into it are outstanding. I hope you guys keep building on this IP.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My little tidbit of feedback on the game;

• Wonderful setting
  • Great design and artwork
  • Interesting story
  • Solid combat
  • Excellent customization options

But, and this is the only but, the game is... short? I've done pretty much everything. I've explored every little nook and cranny of every gosh dang map. I've talked to everyone (I admit I started skimming through the "Yellow guys" texts) and I'm pretty sure I've done all the side quests and companion storylines. I've done 13 out of 15 stronghold dungeon levels (don't ask me why I stopped at 13, I wanted some change in scenery) and now the game is finished.

After 31 hours of gameplay.. Now 31 hours is good, but for some reason I expected more