How to deal with traps?

So I'm in a hall in the first dungeon that's full of traps.  My characters are able to detect them, which is good, but that's where the good stops.

1) When I say to move to the other side, they happily walk right over the traps.  This should be considered a bug in the pathfinding code.  IF YOU KNOW IT'S THERE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO STEP ON IT!

2) No matter how carefully I select destinations to move, I can't get my character to move precisely enough to avoid the traps.

3) Even if my character moves precisely enough to avoid the traps, the other characters in my party happily follow along and blunder right into the traps.  There really should be a "solo mode" but I can't find the UI command that turns it on.

4) One of my party members appears to be a roguish type, but if he (or anyone else) has a way to Disarm Traps, I can't find how to do it.

So how do I get past these %@&*^&$#^&* traps?

• Like 1

1) It's not a bug. *YOU* have to deal with the traps; your characters don't do it automatically.

2) Once you know them, it's a lot easier to disarm them then to avoid them.

3) Click on a characters portrait to select them individually; then the party won't follow them everywhere.

4) In scout mode, once the trap is directed, if the party member selected has mechanics you can hover over the trap and your mouse cursor will change; I think it turns into a circle with an arrow in it or something. Click on the trap at that point and you will attempt to disarm it.

• Like 2

I came here specifically out of frustration to this same issue.  I know it is not a bug but it just defies logic that if you find a trap and you know exactly where said trap is located that you would then just proceed to walk right over it like a dimwit.  The characters should intelligently navigate the area around the trap once it has been found if you are walking in a group.  When walking individually, it would make sense that, if you direct your character over to an area on the floor directly in line with you and the trap that you located, you would be subject to that trap deploying; the same way it would if you did not have the required skill to located that trap in the first place.

If characters automatically moved around traps, wouldn't it be kind of pointless to have them? Sure, you still have to detect them, but there's the added danger like stepping on it by accident in the midst of combat, which is a very interesting situation.

Also I may not be understanding the difficulty in navigating. I mean, even with the trickiest of traps, you just select your guys one by one, move them around the trap. Of course they're going to walk over it if you select everyone and click halfway down the hall.

• Like 1

There are other ways around the traps.  That is exactly the point, when walking as a group with other ways to walk that are not blocked by traps the part members that are not your lead will still walk right in the area where the trap is rather than walking around them.  Sure, you can navigate them individually to avoid them, but it would make more sense that if you know where the traps are and you navigate your lead character through the area that is not trapped the other members should follow through that same area rather than walk to the side of you where they already know a trap is waiting to deploy.  It would not make the traps pointless because in areas where there is no other way to proceed except through the trap you would be required to disarm them.  What I am suggesting would apply to an area like in the first dungeon where there are all the runes on the floor with some being trapped and others not being trapped it would make sense to be able to navigate them safely as a group once you have discovered them.  Again if there is no other way to proceed past the trap then that is when you would resort to disarming them. 

What happened to my post?  I thought this was a forum for discussion.  Apparently you can only discuss things that the moderators agree with.  My post did not contain swearing, spoilers, and it was not in an argumentative nature so what is the issue?

Umm, the only problems I've had with traps is when I just wasn't paying attention and ran into them. Otherwise, turn Scout Mode on, and put your Rogue/Character with high Mechanics up front. Stop party when you find a trap, single out the appropriate high mechanics character and pull the rest of the party backwards. Then have that character try disabling the trap. Tada. Issue solved. Quick save before trap disable attempts in case you nuke yourself. 

You know what would be the first thing I would do if I came to a massive trapped floor ready to shoot fireballs at me?

Look for another way around.

You should try the same.

And then you would double back and disarm them for experience. I mean, hypothetically speaking. ;)

Edited by Sakkura

I can confirm that you can have only one activ trap, not incuding magical wards ( or glyphs ). For me, this is a major problem and it takes a lot of fun from this game...

Thanks, that's a bummer. I thought I had some use for all the traps my rogue is picking up but 1 trap / encounter that's useless. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

I can confirm that you can have only one activ trap, not incuding magical wards ( or glyphs ). For me, this is a major problem and it takes a lot of fun from this game...

Thanks, that's a bummer. I thought I had some use for all the traps my rogue is picking up but 1 trap / encounter that's useless. 

Can you craft traps?

I don't see how, there is no oprion in crafting window, although i still have a long way to go with my stronghold, so mayby if i upgrade it i will get a craftsman who will create them for me... But i don't have high hopes for that.

But since you can only place ONE trap there is no need to craft them, right ? I mean, would you bother to craft something that in other games could be placed one by one, while here...

Yes, currently no reason to bother with traps imho. 1 Trap is not gonna make enough of a difference in a proper fight. I hope they change this. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat.