What does your chanter do while singing?

I'm curious how everyone has designed their Chanters.  More than other's, they seem like they're really open to go any direction in combat, since their bonuses don't relly on any particular strategy.  Simultaneously, it's really hard to find a way to really find a way to excel

My first character ended up being a terrible chanter, forcing a restart.  I then tried a Paladin and Rogue, both worked fine as the former survived forever, and the later killed everything too fast for survival to mater.  The chanter though.... I almost feel like you need to fill up your party with custom adventurer's ASAP at that first tavern to really get anything from them.  Admittedly, I didn't take the summons, so maybe that was my problem.

Anyways, as for combat, you're probably not going to benefit a whole lot from might or trying to go for damage (correct me if I'm wrong).  The way I see it in order to make use out of them outside of a buff-bot, you need to find a way to force some utility out of their combat, or just make them super tanky to hold the line and keep your buffs/debuffs where they're most important.  Perhaps making them a highly dextrous and perceptive dual wielder to lock down targets with interrupts?

What are some other ideas?  Whether in theory or from your experience with them.

I don't know but I created a Chanter because I love the idea but I'm thinking about changing to a more beefier guy.  Chanters seem like they're for really advanced building and I haven't gotten the hang of them yet so I think I'm going to go with a more traditional character and learn the ins and outs of the game first then come back.  I do miss my sorcerer though :(  Loved my dragon fire breath in BGII lol.  Who needs a party when you're a sorcerer hehehe. 

I rolled one up last night but I'm not sure I'm liking it, or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. The class seems a bit too passive for me, I feel like you have your Chants ability on auto, and you just auto attack until you build your Phrases, then just cast something.

I don't know what is optimal for stats. It appears to me that this class should probably be a tank. The rest of the group benefits from the songs, the enemies suffer from the songs, and then you can either summon or do some sort of crowd control spell.

Currently anchors my line and if things get hairy, I strip DR from the enemies, increase my allies DR, or knock back the enemy every 3 rounds. Meanwhile, I bash things with my mace and chant about how swords are stupid cheerily. It is passive, and definitely thinking of remaking with a different starting character for something a bit more involved and exciting.

I started with a wizard but gave the chanter a try and have to say I really like this class.  Will have to restart the game...again, haha.

I know, right? 

I still haven't ventured further than Gilded Vale because I felt compelled to try out 4 different classes. And I still can't decide which one I like best !

I'm currently running a cipher. She's alright, but not as good as she could be as I'm not a fan of min-maxing. Definitely an OK melee support though.