Please add encumbrance for the Expansion

What baffles me, however, is the arguments like "if you don't like being able to carry 5 sets of plate armor, just don't pick up everything! No one is forcing you to that. Just don't impose your 'inventory encumbrance' religion on me, because I don't like being forced to go back and forth 5 times as I pick up everything!" ...What?

What baffles you about it? It's very much like a point of controversy that's plagued the Elite : Dangerous forums, where staunch "realism" freaks were up in arms about the potential introduction of an external ship camera, leading to all sorts of ridiculous "...but it would ruin my immersion!!!" excuses for not having it there, and the logical responses then flooded in... "Don't use it, if it bothers you that much!".

Edited by Kurgen
  • Like 2

What baffles me, however, is the arguments like "if you don't like being able to carry 5 sets of plate armor, just don't pick up everything! No one is forcing you to that. Just don't impose your 'inventory encumbrance' religion on me, because I don't like being forced to go back and forth 5 times as I pick up everything!" ...What?

But that's the serious facts of it. Encumberance systems don't make it more fun for me--they make it more limiting and frustrating. I don't want to have to spend twenty minutes calculating the size and shape of five arrows and six scrolls to take this armor, or leaving those five lore books behind because I need this scale male, or any of that. It brakes *my* immersion when I have to grab the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength just so my inventory isn't **** on my mage. It seems logical to me that since when the system is implemented, you remove my choice but when the system isn't implemented you still have a choice that I can bitch about removing my options.

• Like 1

I understand both sides of the argument. I really do. I get that some people want encumbrance and I understand why. I also get that some people don't want encumbrance, and I understand why that is, too. My bafflement wasn't about that. I was confused by the double-standard (on either side of the argument) of saying "Don't use it, if it bothers you that much!" but in the very next breath being aghast at the same suggestion from someone else.

Pro-encumbrance: "If you don't want to travel back to town five times to sell everything because your inventory is less than infinite, just don't pick up everything, if it bothers you that much!"

Anti-encumbrance: "If you don't want to be able to carry five sets of plate armor because your inventory is infinite, just don't pick up everything, if it bothers you that much!

Both groups have a choice about what they do in the game. No one is forcing them to contribute to the aspects of gameplay that annoy them. I wasn't saying "ENCUMBRANCE 4 LYFE! Y'ALL HATERS CAN DIE!" nor was I saying "DOWN WITH THE TYRANNICAL ENCUMBRANCE-IMPOSING EMPIRE!" I was just seeing the same argument from both sides and not understanding how those that are shouting it are not heeding their own advice.

Just restrict yourself to picking up armour/weapons/etc when you have space in the character inventory? Not sure why it's so hard to put in a trivial amount of effort to keep your immersion in-tact.

However, I will agree that being unable to drop items is an issue in this case. Maybe just ignore stash items that aren't ingredients (or IE mod)?

Edited by View619

In a PnP style, or PnP influanced, roleplaying game inventory management is very important. I'm saddened that it was left out of PoE.

There are enough "RPGs" on the market that have no sense of inventory management. I thought PoE wanted to be different?

How about compromising and adding an encumbrance system to Expert Mode. I actually started a new game with Expert Mode and hard with the hopes that item weights would start appearing. ;(

Edited by bigdogchris
  • Like 1

The only way I'd want to see encumbrance used is in place of something like Quick Slots. What I mean is, instead of "You can only use 3 things at a time," maybe, for example, you can only put SO much weight on your belt, or cloak pockets or what-have-you. So, you're limited to 3 lb. Maybe Potion X weighs .3 lb, and Potion Y weighs 1 lb. So, you have "infinite" quick slots, but you're limited by weight. You can either take 10 Potion X's, or 2 Potion Y's and 3 Potion X's, etc.

It's an interesting way to limit items that actually matter when and where you've got them. But, other stuff? It's too much annoyance-to-benefit ratio.

The only problem I have with the unlimited stash in this game is that it's not really well-explained/handled. I'd've either had some kind of bag-of-holding explanation for why it holds so much but you cannot access it freely (how do you reach into a bag of dimensional compression and just pull out the one item you want out of 100?), OR maybe have some kind of portal into your stronghold's stash room that you can summon and toss stuff through, etc. In other words, if you can just take all the stuff anyway, and the only significance of its weight management is that you cannot feasibly carry it all on your person in one go, then it's not a very useful thing in a game for more than SHEER simulation for simulation's sake.

So yeah, immediately useful stuff should be cleverly limited, while immediately-doesn't-matter-if-you're-carrying-it-around-or-not stuff shouldn't be, really. Whatever explanation is needed for the ability to "loot" this stuff (even if your 6 party members aren't actually physically carrying it around -- interdimensional storage, and/or packmule, etc.), just go ahead and implement that, so that we don't have to go "Oh, there're 1,000 gold coins here in this treasure pile behind this dragon, but I can only carry 100 at a time because they're so heavy!", and go back and forth to that treasure pile 10 times, OR just leave 900 gold coins there (why would you do this unless you were already filthy rich?).

Heck, I honestly don't even care if it still takes 10 trips. Just don't make the player have to actively partake in those trips. That isn't fun gameplay. Maybe you could have an option to mark things you want to take, and leave things unmarked that you don't want to take. Then, once you've cleared out a cave/dungeon/area, select "take all marked loot to stronghold." Boom. One click, it happens. Maybe time passes in the world because of that, and that's significant? I'm even cool with that. Nothing wrong with that at all. But there is no joy to be had by having no reason to leave stuff where it is and come back to get it beyond "I just can't carry it right now." And "Oh, you can carry it, but everyone's going to move 10 inches per hour, and you won't be able to fast travel" is just silly, too.

I mean, another option would even be to simply have encumbrance grant combat penalties that aren't movement-speed related (worse chance to dodge, increased fatigue, etc.). Boom. Significance to the decision to not just pick up everything all the time, while simultaneously not having to deal with the simulation-for-its-own-sake of "you'd have to make lots of trips for that stuff, or you'd move really slowly or be unable to move."

We're creating entire worlds out of 1's and 0's, here. I think it's about time we acted like we weren't restricted to "Oh no, but if things had weight, we'd just have to simulate that in the most basic way possible and make looting and inventory management really lame."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Please no, I love the original games so much and been playing them since they came out but the one thing I am happy to do without is Encumbrance. Micromanaging storage and bags just kills the roleplay thing for me. Either have it realistic, IE person can only carry like two weapons at the most and what they could fit in a bag, or dont have any limits on it.

Edited by Prideaux
  • Like 1

I'd like an option to switch encumberance on and off. I personally don't like it. But It was weird hearing "its too heavy" and not seeing a viable noticeable result for such a comment.

Lorenzzo Medicci

"Come Vailia , vino ottiene solo

migliorare con il tempo . Perché il suo

modo Vailiano !"

I have two issues with the stash and the inventory system in general:

1) Thematic presentation.  I really don't understand why they decided to have individual backpacks AND a separate universal backpack.  Why not just make all backpacks endless?  Also... why did they call it the "stash"?  The term universally used for "that chest with all of our stuff back at camp", and then further back up that association by giving it a chest graphic.  

Honestly I don't get why there are individual backpacks even.  You can't access your pack in combat so it doesn't matter what each individual has and you can trade items between characters regardless of distance outside of combat.  Why not just do away with individual backpack area, and make inventory just the sorted bottomless omnibag?  

2) Unlimited accessibility.  It just makes it another backpack, and in that case see point 1.  If it was only accessible when you camp, or at an inn, I feel like it would have been a positive solution for inventory management.  That way you can still carry everything, all the time (as much as I absolutely hate that personally, I get that I am in the minority here) but you still have to make choices about what you actually have available for use, and if you want to unravel the party pack and sort through it, you need to set up camp.  I feel the same way about spellbooks.  It's stupid to me that you can just access these things on the fly, it just pointlessly removes strategic possibilities.  

Also, whats the point of stronghold storage?  Why would you ever not want it in your stash where you can access it any time?  Makes zero sense.  

IMO They could have gotten basically the same functionality in a different presentation, and removed the immersion breaking questions about the nature and location of the stash.

• Like 1

You want to know how stupid the idea of the stash is? This is how stupid the idea of the stash is:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72748-508-loot-interface-appears-with-take-all-button-under-the-mouse-pointer/ :

[Description of the issue]

When you click a container the loot interface is shown with such offset from the mouse pointer that the mouse pointer is directly above the "Take all button"

[DETAILED list of steps to reproduce the issue AND what to look for]

Example:

1) Click on a container

2) The loot interface appears with the take all button under your mouse pointer

[Expected behaviour]

The Loot Interface should appear at such coordinates offset from the mouse pointer so that no interface element can be clicked accidentally. On more than one occasion I double clicked and took objects I didn't need.

Coupled with the lack of a drop item feature, this can potentially fill up the party inventory with items which have nowhere to go to clear up inventory space, except of course to the stash.

[Other remarks / Comments]

I really think the whole stash/loot system based on the presumption that every player wants to take every item from the world goes contrary to the whole spirit of the game.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I find not being able to 'drop' things quite annoying, I have to say.

I refuse to get annoyed at the devs though. This whole system looks really unfinished and I'm counting on them to finish it in a future patch or in the expansion.

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

maybe they could have the stash be something represented by a donkey named bill that shows up whenever u travel but cant go into dungeons and stuff so u cant use it in dungeons. I like the immersive elements to having a weight limit but understand how hard it is to know what to grab and what not to all the time. it's good to have a balance. maybe have the stash be open world area only so people can haul stuff out of dungeons then stash it on the donkey to go sell later. 

its been around since ultima so I tihnk it's important to have a encumbrance in such a great game like POE 

I understand both sides of the argument. I really do. I get that some people want encumbrance and I understand why. I also get that some people don't want encumbrance, and I understand why that is, too. My bafflement wasn't about that. I was confused by the double-standard (on either side of the argument) of saying "Don't use it, if it bothers you that much!" but in the very next breath being aghast at the same suggestion from someone else.

Pro-encumbrance: "If you don't want to travel back to town five times to sell everything because your inventory is less than infinite, just don't pick up everything, if it bothers you that much!"

Anti-encumbrance: "If you don't want to be able to carry five sets of plate armor because your inventory is infinite, just don't pick up everything, if it bothers you that much!

Both groups have a choice about what they do in the game. No one is forcing them to contribute to the aspects of gameplay that annoy them. I wasn't saying "ENCUMBRANCE 4 LYFE! Y'ALL HATERS CAN DIE!" nor was I saying "DOWN WITH THE TYRANNICAL ENCUMBRANCE-IMPOSING EMPIRE!" I was just seeing the same argument from both sides and not understanding how those that are shouting it are not heeding their own advice.

That's an erronous perception.

In first case, you have to choose between two disadvantageous situations. Do I give up on time or do I give up on loot?

In second case there is no disadvantage, considering you're willingly agreeing to the limitation.

Only first one presents a practical inconvenience.

I doubt the devs will implement encumbrance in any form, that's too much hours of work for the potential benefits. Probably will be modded by someone in the future.

Edited by DrBrian
  • Like 1

That's an erronous perception.

In first case, you have to choose between two disadvantageous situations. Do I give up on time or do I give up on loot?

In second case there is no disadvantage, considering you're willingly agreeing to the limitation.

Only first one presents a practical inconvenience.

I doubt the devs will implement encumbrance in any form, that's too much hours of work for the potential benefits. Probably will be modded by someone in the future.

much more likely to happen if they upgrade the engine I think...

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Look, if you played D&D, and your party *didn't* have a tricked out ox cart or a team of donkeys, or your very own keel boat, you SCREWED UP.  That's all the stash is - hand waived servants.  You could hire them in the first town - it's not like anybody is doing anything there anyways, they'd be all to happy to accept a few coppers to lug all that junk around, and politely wait outside.   It also gives the DM some opportunities for side quests - because your keel boat, or your wagon will regularly be tampered with, and so you have to go lay down the boom on somebody.  No self-respecting adventuring party would be caught *dead* without oodles of pack animals and associated gear.  Sure they may have to wait at the bottom of the mountain - but even the hobbits had pack animals with them. 

The only thing that bothers me about the stash at all - is it seems like it's not possible to transfer items from the stash to other containers.  It'd be nice if I could put some "special things" that I don't really know if I'll need for especial use into a chest somewhere so I could retrieve them at a later date, as opposed to having to carefully not sell them every time I go to depress the local smithing market. 

• Like 3

Do you know what is fun? Choices. You play a game because you must take choices the whole time. Except in PE where you must just click "Take it all". Not choices about what carry, not choices about if that sword you left DESERVES (yes, some of you forgot you don't have to return for everything) the tedious act of return a place you already cleaned up. That's why some of us want an encumbrance system. I don't think there was too much "inventory micromanagement" in BG, by example, just moving an armor to another character is not tedious at all. And you had those moments of "damns, I must left something... goodbye trustful sword, you served me well back then (and you could be sold very well too) but right now I need that part of the equalizer". Hard decisions, just like those you "appreciate" so much in the main story. They are part of YOUR story and YOUR unique experience in the game and in that way they are even more meaningful that other decisions you take. 

And yes, I'm trying to play PE this way but then I got involve in TEDIOUS tasks just to avoid take stuff and a lot of inventory micromanagement. I'm playing in hard and when I'm full items go directly to the stash and I can't reach it from the place I am, sometimes I take a couple more armors and then I must remember to move them to other characters and check all their stuff to be sure they are not too heavy. An encumbrance system would tell me the weights and will warned me if I overpass the limit. 

Finally I, in fact, like the stash for ingredients (something inexistent in IE games), so maybe the stash could be like the Scroll Case (for small stuff) of Baldur's Gate. 

Except in PE where you must just click "Take it all".

Eh? Not in mine. I can click and drag a specific item from the loot screen down onto a specific party member's circular avatar in the loot window, or I can do the same and drag it to the stash icon, or I can instruct the game to give all the found loot to either one party member, or chuck it all into the stash.

• Like 1

I find not being able to 'drop' things quite annoying, I have to say.

I refuse to get annoyed at the devs though. This whole system looks really unfinished and I'm counting on them to finish it in a future patch or in the expansion.

You are so optimistic you make my heart melt. I wish I was.

• Like 1
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_