Please add encumbrance for the Expansion

I see there is a 'don't restrict stash' option. What does that do? Is this what I'm looking for !?

I believe that just means you can't access the stash from "anywhere" - you have to be in certain places or safe spots or something (I'm not sure what the actual req. are).

But since if your chr inventory is full, new picked up items appear to be auto-placed into the Stash, it's not as helpful as one might think if one is trying to limit carrying capacity to only a select few items.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Encumbrance was not awesome

Says you. Ok, I hear you.

Explain to me, if you will, recalling that I am a veteran of basically every CRPG post-1988, and some before, and an extremely experienced DM/GM/Storyteller for pen and paper RPGs, how encumbrance, specifically encumbrance, is awesome.

I will await your detailed response.

If you're not saying it's awesome, just you like the inventory management chore/mini-game, fine, but if you like that particular mini-game, please be aware that there are vastly better ways to implement it than the encumbrance style (where all items have a "weight" - which may or may not actually also be a factor of their bulk - and you have to stay under that limit).

I see there is a 'don't restrict stash' option. What does that do? Is this what I'm looking for !?

I believe that just means you can't access the stash from "anywhere" - you have to be in certain places or safe spots or something (I'm not sure what the actual req. are).

But since if your chr inventory is full, new picked up items appear to be auto-placed into the Stash, it's not as helpful as one might think if one is trying to limit carrying capacity to only a select few items.

It makes very good sense as a design decision, because if you didn't do that, all you're doing it making people go back through areas to pick up items they had to leave, which, unless the area respawns/repops, is merely an exercise in tedium (even though I know it makes some people feel good in an instinctive kind of way!).

The important thing it does prevent is manufacturing and hoarding tons of one-use items, then cycling them back into inventory as you use existing ones up.

Edited by Eurhetemec
  • Like 1

These threads are all the same:

Some people want X

Some people want Y

Niether is right nor wrong

Ideally they make X and Y both optional and everyone is happy. 

Arguing about opinions is doublepalm facepalm worthy. 

/Thread

• Like 1

Some people want X

Some people want Y

/Thread

You don't understand how game development works, I'm afraid.

Features like encumbrance take time and effort to build, and test, and require the game to be designed around them. You can't "just make both" without sacrificing other stuff.

Please, god, no. I hate encumbrance *so* much.

Exactly this.. it honestly is just a waste of time to run in and out of some dungeon at the best of times... and a main annoyance if you arent able to take something important at a crucial moment.

It makes very good sense as a design decision, because if you didn't do that, all you're doing it making people go back through areas to pick up items they had to leave, which, unless the area respawns/repops, is merely an exercise in tedium (even though I know it makes some people feel good in an instinctive kind of way!).

The important thing it does prevent is manufacturing and hoarding tons of one-use items, then cycling them back into inventory as you use existing ones up.

I meant that if your chr. inventory is full after a fight, you can't physically drop items so you can pick up/look at something in the field. So if the Stash anywhere-access setting is disabled, it'll still get put into the Stash automatically, where you can then look at it but can't go "oh I like that better, I'll put that on right now" because you can't access the Stash where you are.

At least, that's the way it seems to be working. I haven't tested it extensively to see if there's a way around it (maybe I'm missing something)

....at any rate, I don't miss encumberance myself. I just think system takes a lot of "do I want to wear this armor I just found in box" control away from the player if one doesn't have access-anywhere enabled.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've noticed that if you fill your inventory and you try to pick up an item the character makes a comment that "it's too heavy" and it goes to the stash.

I suspect there was an item weight/encumbrance system in the works which later got cut out. I hope it gets added to the expansion and I believe it would make the game more interesting.

NO, the system is fine.  You don't have to use the stash if you don't want too.  

• Like 1

I meant that if your chr. inventory is full after a fight, you can't physically drop items so you can pick up/look at something in the field. So if the Stash anywhere-access setting is disabled, it'll still get put into the Stash automatically, where you can then look at it but can't go "oh I like that better, I'll put that on right now" because you can't access the Stash where you are.

At least, that's the way it seems to be working. I haven't tested it extensively.

Ahhh yeah, you can't drop stuff.  The stash behaviour makes more sense now, I was wondering why you could still dump stuff there even with the restriction.

Some people want X

Some people want Y

/Thread

You don't understand how game development works, I'm afraid.

Features like encumbrance take time and effort to build, and test, and require the game to be designed around them. You can't "just make both" without sacrificing other stuff.

Reading hard.

I've noticed that if you fill your inventory and you try to pick up an item the character makes a comment that "it's too heavy" and it goes to the stash.

I suspect there was an item weight/encumbrance system in the works which later got cut out. I hope it gets added to the expansion and I believe it would make the game more interesting.

NO, the system is fine.  You don't have to use the stash if you don't want too.

I'm not using it, except for the crafting components which go there by default and I like the game much better that way. Still, I think it would be better with an actual item weight/encumberance system.

@Eurhetemec, I don't give a hoot what you're a veteran of, and I don't plan to explain anything to you. The game is single player, so your perception is yours and mine is mine.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Ahhh yeah, you can't drop stuff.  The stash behaviour makes more sense now, I was wondering why you could still dump stuff there even with the restriction.

Yeah...you can of course workaround it by never using the "pick up all" and constantly making sure to move  stuff to Stash first before picking new stuff up so things don't get auto-Stashed etc, but that feels kind of restrictive to me.

I'll probably enable access-anywhere because of that, but that's just me.

From playing the backer beta, I thought I would actually kinda like the stash, but after having played the full game I have to say that I would prefer an encumberance system.

Unless you manually restrict yourself, there is just no thought to shift-clicking absolutely everything, and then shift-clicking it back into the shop interface and mass-selling everything. There is very little thought to looting now which I really don't like. You can just vacuum up everything you find in the world. Having some form of limit (not necessarily encumberance though I kinda like that) would make it feel a lot better in my opinion. Sure, if one has OCD one can still travel back and forth, but...

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've never found that trudging back to town when my pack got full/too heavy made games more "interesting"--and the weight to value ratio has to be pretty bad before they're allowed to leave unowned, saleable items behind. Not fussing with encumbrance/an infinite stash sound great.

• Like 2

I've never found that trudging back to town when my pack got full/too heavy made games more "interesting"--and the weight to value ratio has to be pretty bad before they're allowed to leave unowned, saleable items behind. Not fussing with encumbrance/an infinite stash sound great.

It's not about "interesting" it's about immersion

Edited by Bazy

I've decided to manually enforce my enbumbrance, using the stash for gems, herbs etc but not weapons and armour.

All that's missing is the ability to overload oneself and suffer in-game penalties from carrying too much. That would be nice for us immersives who like work. (yes, we really do).

Typically, I prefer some system of inventory restriction. The play style of "LOOT ALL THE THINGS!" is not nearly as interesting to me as being presented with a choice about what is junk and what is treasure. On the other hand, I get why other people don't want to deal with shuffling their inventory around so they can get their luggage weight below the airline's carry-on limit.

What baffles me, however, is the arguments like "if you don't like being able to carry 5 sets of plate armor, just don't pick up everything! No one is forcing you to that. Just don't impose your 'inventory encumbrance' religion on me, because I don't like being forced to go back and forth 5 times as I pick up everything!" ...What?