Please add encumbrance for the Expansion

I've noticed that if you fill your inventory and you try to pick up an item the character makes a comment that "it's too heavy" and it goes to the stash.

I suspect there was an item weight/encumbrance system in the works which later got cut out. I hope it gets added to the expansion and I believe it would make the game more interesting.

• Like 4

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Not much point to unlimited stash if it's overwritten by encumbrance - you can always ignore the stash for everything except the items that automatically go there (ingredients and quest items) and restrict yourself to the individual "backpack" spaces if you really need restrictions on what you carry so PLEASE don't ask the developers to force encumbrance on the rest of us who want to concentrate on playing the game and not micromanaging inventory.

• Like 7

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I really like the stash. I *really*, *really* like the stash. Inventory management was always my biggest complaint about BG.

Amen.

Also to OP: You can restrict stash as an option in settings.

• Like 2

Calibrating...

Inventory management is my #1 complaint with all games of this genre; I end up wasting a large fraction of my time doing boring mechanical tasks.  This is especially true for a game like this, where we're supposed to keep a collection of different weapon types to counter different foes.  It also imbalances stats if we need to trade off constitution against mechanical tedium.

Edited by Ohioastro
  • Like 2

no, just no.

the stash is the best thing ever! instead of going back and forth to gather the stuff, i just dump them in the stash and im done. saves a lot of time and with it being accessible in towns only,  it does not detract anything from the inventory management.

as for encumberance i dont care either way, but with a limited number of items that can be carried anyway it could become a burden for most players

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I hated encumberance in all the IE games, in here it would just be horrid. So many different damage types to carry around and switch in/out all the time, plus extra grimoires and such...and I'm a lore book hoarder...even with the stash, my characters personal inventories get filled up pretty quick actually. I have to go through and dump stuff I'd like to keep to the stash!

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

I've noticed that if you fill your inventory and you try to pick up an item the character makes a comment that "it's too heavy" and it goes to the stash.

I suspect there was an item weight/encumbrance system in the works which later got cut out. I hope it gets added to the expansion and I believe it would make the game more interesting.

That reaction is quite late addition in the game, but they have gone through multiple different inventory system during development, but they have kept in their original high level concept, which was three tier inventory - equipped+quick slots - top of bag/character's personal inventory space and stash. Although system is not as complex as they originally visioned as they made stash much more accessible and lessened role that personal inventory space plays in the game.

I'm mixed. I do remember with icewind dale (which was the first of the black isle games I played) I found some nifty magical chain mail and it was too heavy and I had spent a lot of time to pick and choose which items to keep or dump. On the one hand I hated encumberance but it really did make me think about what to keep or not keep and trade off of carrying loot (and suffering in combat) or giving up the loot.

Please, god, no. I hate encumbrance *so* much.

• Like 1

I really like the stash. I *really*, *really* like the stash. Inventory management was always my biggest complaint about BG.

Amen.

Also to OP: You can restrict stash as an option in settings.

You're not the first confused person to bring up this argument. But you are wrong. The "restricted" is actually quite unrestricted when you place something in it. I can't take objects out of my stash when I'm not in a town, big deal. I can still fill my endless inventory with junk and then sell that junk directly from the stash, without even taking it to the inventory when I'm in town, the place where I'm allowed to send items from my stash o my inventory. O_o?

What exactly is restricted about that?

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

The whole point of Pillars of Eternity is that Obsidian looked at what was totally awesome about Infinity Engine-style CRPGs, and what was kind of rubbish/time-waste-y, and they stuck firmly with what was awesome and amplified and enhanced it, whilst revising or replacing the stuff that wasn't very good. Having now played it, I can say they were ASTONISHINGLY successful at this.

Encumbrance was not awesome. It wasn't fun, it didn't engage the brain in a testing way, it was a just tedious deal that wasted the odd ten or thirty minutes now and then, or caused the odd bit of frustration. I'm all for preparation/planning, but that should be in terms of resource use and what characters to take somewhere, not "Have I emptied everyone's bags?".

So, no, they should not bring back encumbrance. They have a great system with Eternity, and they should stick with it. Especially as implementing a full-on encumbrance system that is actually complex enough to be worth having is a non-trivial task, which would involve both game designers and programmers (and indeed might require certain areas to be redesigned!).

Let's be clear - I've played a bazillion games with elaborate inventory management of different kinds, and encumbrance is just not suitable for this particular kind of game. This isn't some sort of survival horror deal, or simulation-type first-person/third-person CRPG, where it might make sense.

Edited by Eurhetemec
  • Like 2

Some people, including myself, play CRPGs to be immersed in an alternate reality fantasy setting.

Having immediate access to 50 suits of armour, somehow feels wrong.

I can see both sides of the argument, which is why I think an optional setting should be available. I see there is a 'don't restrict stash' option. What does that do? Is this what I'm looking for !?

Inventory management is my #1 complaint with all games of this genre; I end up wasting a large fraction of my time doing boring mechanical tasks.  This is especially true for a game like this, where we're supposed to keep a collection of different weapon types to counter different foes.  It also imbalances stats if we need to trade off constitution against mechanical tedium.

The first thing I do for every RPG with limited inventory space whenever possible is download a bag of holding style mod as soon as it becomes available.

• Like 3

The first thing I do for every RPG with limited inventory space whenever possible is download a bag of holding style mod as soon as it becomes available.

This is basically exactly what I do.

BG : console cheat bag of holding

BG2 : console cheat bag of holding and quiver while at it

IWD1/2: console cheat bag of holding

ElderScrolls/Fallouts : unlimited carry weight cheat/mod

Don't let me chose between a battleaxe and a dagger please :'(

• Like 2

what_can_cb510.png