In the GRIM DARKNESS of the Dyrwood, there is only GRIMDARK

I'm enjoying this game a lot so far, but I've gotta get one thing out of my system - with regards to tone and atmosphere, this ain't no Baldur's Gate successor. That game had an iron crisis, but you know, the world was still generally pretty green. This one has a baby crisis.

That's almost comically dark, in an, "oh man guys, how can we infuse our setting with as much misery as possible?" sort of way.

Again, I'm enjoying myself plenty, but I feel like it is a little bit played out, and a little bit exhausting. I could stand to see some NOBLE BRIGHTNESS and HIGH ADVENTURE.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I think the background of this game is phenomenal. It's been a long time since a game last gave me goosebumps just by visiting the first village and talking to the first NPC there.

The atmosphere is amazing. It's grimdark, but in a positive way (not immature Dragon Age grimdark by overflowing the game with sex and violence, but subtle, shiver-down-your-spine grimdark of despair without actually having a namable evil threat on the horizon).

The unknown is always the best way to create tension in any horror setting. Well done Obsidian!

@Broken: I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Some people find the idea of giving birth to a soulless undead worse than having a deadborn.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I suppose something is wrong with my brain since I didn't really see the Legacy being worse than any other form of plague <_< Or that I don't see plagues as grimdark in first place?

Well, with plague people die horribly. With the Legacy, people are born semi-comatose and the attempted cure turned them into mutated cannibal monsters that rove the countryside eating people. All those wichts you were killing in the Black Meadow map?

Those are 9-12 year old children.

So...yeah.

Edited by Katarack21

I think the background of this game is phenomenal. It's been a long time since a game last gave me goosebumps just by visiting the first village and talking to the first NPC there.

The atmosphere is amazing. It's grimdark, but in a positive way (not immature Dragon Age grimdark by overflowing the game with sex and violence, but subtle, shiver-down-your-spine grimdark of despair without actually having a namable evil threat on the horizon).

Absolutely agree with this. After saving the dwarf I thought I would be going to a nice sunny village (he was so cheerful about the rescue). When I entered it I was really shocked. The tree, the atmosphere, the dialogue, everything added to that feeling of dread. Honestly I did not feel like that about a video game for a long time. I applaud the developers for masterfully creating a setting that gives you goosebumps. And all this was achieved via text and some graphics, no fancy animations required.

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

The unknown is always the best way to create tension in any horror setting. Well done Obsidian!

Right, I agree with this entirely. This game is how grimdark should be done.

Still, I demand some noblebright in the expansion pack.

The conversation with the dead animancer. Oh, my god, how creepy. The descriptive writing in this game is just beyond fantastic.

I actually thought that was pretty cheery and heartwarming.

The conversation with the dead animancer. Oh, my god, how creepy. The descriptive writing in this game is just beyond fantastic.

Not the descriptions of how her body was moving when she laughed.

Not the descriptions of how her body was moving when she laughed.

Hey, man, don't judge. How'd you like it if some corpses started calling you creepy? Huh? HUH?

Nothing wrong with that. Although I don't remember Obsidian ever being particularly cheery with their stuff. NWN2:OC was probably he cheeriest and even that still had some dark things going on.

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Nothing wrong with that. Although I don't remember Obsidian ever being particularly cheery with their stuff. NWN2:OC was probably he cheeriest and even that still had some dark things going on.

Did you ever have a real deep conversation with your Wookie companion from KOTOR 2?

Edited by Katarack21

Did you ever have a real deep conversation with your Wookie companion from KOTOR 2?

I only played light side so no wookie for me. Although I do remember he was bat**** crazy.

Some dark things ... like everyone dying at the end, you mean? :p

Some dark things ... like everyone dying at the end, you mean? :p

I meant the shard in your chest, but now that you mention that unfortunate incident, that too :grin:

I only played light side so no wookie for me. Although I do remember he was bat**** crazy.

The chains he was wearing were his old slave chains. He escaped and fled down to the Kashykk ground; while he was there he went balls-deep to the dark side and decided the only way to save his family from slavery was to slaughter them all before the slavers could take them.

Obsidian: Happy Shiny People

Edited by Katarack21

It gets creepier when you realize that the main point of the settlement invitation is to bring in women that won't breed monsters. To the point that if you're playing a female character, that is how you're greeted: ever have a monster baby?

The sad thing is, out of radical and his two advisors, I'm not sure which is the most grim dark. The fact that alll three are basically optimists is a little chilling.

It gets creepier when you realize that the main point of the settlement invitation is to bring in women that won't breed monsters. To the point that if you're playing a female character, that is how you're greeted: ever have a monster baby?

Men are asked if they've ever sired a Hollowborn. When I said "No." with the honest qualifier, they then asked "Really? Are you sure?"

Men are asked if they've ever sired a Hollowborn. When I said "No." with the honest qualifier, they then asked "Really? Are you sure?"

Huh.  Disappointing, actually, that is the same dialogue.  Boring.  I was hoping for some real differences