Hi!

I wan't to play the game but I really do not understand what attribute is good for what. I get it that Obsidian want's to do something unique but this seems randome.

I wanted to build a cipher with guns who is good in persuasion. So I would have to skill might (for damage), int (for my spells) and resolve (for talking). But I guess I would need dex too? Or maybe perception to see if someone is lying to me? Or can an other party member fill in for me on that? For conversations checks for example... say you need high perception, int and resolve to get the peacefull answer. Do my main character has to have all the attributes for the check or my team together?

And I have read on the forum that resolve (which should translate to charisma in other games right?) is important for defense? How is that working? I'm really lost and I think obsidian did a really poor job explaining their system.

Umm, you did read descriptions for attributes right? The game has tooltips on character creation screen that explains everything.

Like, you boot up the game and wonder "What does resolve do?" you read what tooltip says about resolve and you are like "Helps with will and deflect defense? What is that?" and then you check tooltip for deflect and it says it rather clearly.

Also, there isn't one that for conversations that is only one you will use. Even if you have attribute conversation options opened, they aren't guaranteered successes, different attributes help in different non combat situations.

Edited by BrokenMask

In very simple terms, it's like this:

Might = damage (physical or magical)

Dex = faster attack

Con = more HP

Per = more defense

Int = longer abilties and bigger area of effect

Res = more defense

As such, for melee classes, you really have to choose between tank or DPS (damage dealer)

Tank gets Per, Res and Con.

DPS gets Might and Dex.

Int vaguely useful for everyone (since everyone has abilities, even if they're not magical)

Oh yeah, and Might, Dex, Con are used in action cut-scenes, the other three are more used in conversation (Per to notice things, Int to make intelligent remarks and resolve to bully and lie. They are not checked together)

Edited by Heijoushin

@BrokenMask well that is good for you, but I find it strange.

Thank you @Heijoushin for your answer!

I think my main problem is/was the odd combinations. Like with a system like D&D you know: Okay charisma is for talking and maybe useful to cast spells for a warlock.

But in this game it is all mixed up. Might for more DPS even for a wizard? Okay So my week bookworm wizards who studies books night and day in order to do be a destructiv pyromancer is also working out like a fighter because that effects his spells too. A need sideeffect: Like a fighter he can punch through walls because he is strong as hell....yeah right makes total sense.

Your problem is you're equating these stats with D&D stats. Might does not equal strengh. Just because a character has high might doesn't mean he is a huge buff dude with lots of muscle.

Again, all the stats have very detailed tooltips that say what every stat does in combat and out of it, you just need to read.

Hell, in the character creation they even mark whats important for your class with GOLD STARS!