[Bug] Auto-attack while Idle

KnightOfVirtue

Question

The auto-attack while Idle in combat functionality is currently broken for me. My part members will only begin auto-attacking if they take damage. This also seems to be cleared if a skill is used.

Ex. 1. I enter combat, I give my party members no commands, only members that are attacked strike back, the other members sit there idle and do nothing unless they too take damage.

Ex 2. I enter combat and tell my group to attack a target. I then tell my wizard to cast a spell and then switch to another character. After casting the spell the wizard will sit there idle until he is given another order even though before I had told him to attack a target.

This leads to a lot of extra tedious micromanagement in combat, especially as this includes when enemies die, so everytime a party member kills an enemy you have to tell them to attack again or they will sit idle until damage is taken.

I have tried toggling the "disable auto-attack" feature but the ony change is that they will stop auto-attacking even when taking damage, no impact on auto-attacking when idle.

edit: I did a little bit more testing, and ex. 2 only seems to happen some of the time, not everytime, and sometimes when an enemy dies they will change targets on their own, other times they will not (ranged seem to be even worse at this).

Edited by KnightOfVirtue
  • Like 2

9 answers to this question

I don't really care about what happens when auto-attack is on, but disable auto-attack isn't working properly either: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72092-players-ignoring-commands-when-attacked-due-to-auto-attack-settings/?do=findComment&comment=1601807

That sounds like the complete opposite of my issue. I wonder if the "auto-attack while idle" part of the toggle is broken and gets stuck either on or off regardless of setting. In your case it would be stuck on, in mine it would be stuck off?

The auto-attack while Idle in combat functionality is currently broken for me. My part members will only begin auto-attacking if they take damage. This also seems to be cleared if a skill is used.

Ex. 1. I enter combat, I give my party members no commands, only members that are attacked strike back, the other members sit there idle and do nothing unless they too take damage.

Ex 2. I enter combat and tell my group to attack a target. I then tell my wizard to cast a spell and then switch to another character. After casting the spell the wizard will sit there idle until he is given another order even though before I had told him to attack a target.

This leads to a lot of extra tedious micromanagement in combat, especially as this includes when enemies die, so everytime a party member kills an enemy you have to tell them to attack again or they will sit idle until damage is taken.

I have tried toggling the "disable auto-attack" feature but the ony change is that they will stop auto-attacking even when taking damage, no impact on auto-attacking when idle.

edit: I did a little bit more testing, and ex. 2 only seems to happen some of the time, not everytime, and sometimes when an enemy dies they will change targets on their own, other times they will not (ranged seem to be even worse at this).

I have much the same problem plus some.

About 75% of the time characters will not autoattack, I literally have to select each and every one of them, assign a target, and tell them to attack.  And even then about half the time they continue to stand there doing nothing.

I'd say 25-50% of the time they won't even autoattack when attacked themselves, I've had more then a few cases of them standing there doing nothing while being killed.

Also the character selection routines are quite buggy.

I select a character portrait and try to give them an order and the PREVIOUSLY selected character attacks the one I just tried to select.

I can however swap characters using the number keys ... usually, even that doesn't work reliably.

After a character attacks, casts a spell, whatever if I try to tell them to move to another location they'll just stand there more often then not.  I often have to issue the same character the same move-to-there order several times before they'll move.

• Like 2

I'd like to bump this; Happens for me as well.

This game is a lot harder than it needs to be simply because nobody in my party will auto attack unless I tell them to.
When they kill an enemy, they just continue to stand there, and don't bother engaging on someone new.

Sincerely hope this is one of the bugs fixed in the first patch.

• Like 1

I am experiencing my party members not auto-attacking when there's enemies right in front them.

Also when pausing combat, there's times when I activate an ability and there's really no indication if it's gonna go off or sometimes it even just won't activate upon clicking it.

There's a pathfinding bug that causes characters to stand and do nothing, that isn't auto attack related.

They seem to get confused at times when other party members (or objects) are "blocking" their path to the enemy from collision. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just wanted to add that when I summon skeletons with a chanter and they're standing next to enemies...they do not attack unless I individually click each one of them and assign an attack order...

Is this normal??

Is this some sort of Path of the Damned thing? No auto attacking? Because I didn't see anything that says that.

Just to bump this up. This is still an issue, at least for me. It obviously happens more often to ranged characters whom don't recieve damage as often as melee characters. It's just adds even more micromanagement that is entirely unneeded and unwanted.