Can the Steam version run without the Steam client?

Karthink

Question

I'm deciding between getting this on GOG and Steam, and wanted to know: Can the Steam version can be launched directly from the executable without starting Steam?

For context, here is a list of such [strong air quotes] "DRM-free"  games on Steam. Most Paradox titles are this way, as are Larian's and InXile's games.

(I prefer GOG for its DRM-free version but manual patching is going to be a bother in the first few months when patches will come thick and fast. The Steam version being essentially DRM-free is the best case scenario.)

4 answers to this question

If you fully exit Steam then go into the game folder and click on PoE's .exe, the game launches the Steam client before running the game, so I would say ... no, you can't run it without the client.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thanks for testing it for me, LadyCrimson. Looks like I'll be redeeming a GOG copy after all.

Now I've got Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin on Steam (which does work without Steam), and PoE on GOG. Would have been nice to own them all in one place. :(