Possible Bug in Sanitarium

teh_elgee

Question

I played through, got attacked by the baddies, and confronted Azo again. Told him i was gonna turn him in, and he attacked me.

Once I left the basement, the guards and NPCs were hostile to me. I suspect that's not supposed to happen.

• Like 2

Just ran into this as well. Gonna reload my 2 hour old save and hope I can get passed this :(

Edit: Just ran through it again with no problems. Even told Azo I'd turn him in. I did notice that after I was first attacked in the North Ward the first time that all of the patients/guards were still around. This second time, the patients were gone and there were a few bodies in the area.

Edited by Noviere

When you deal with Azo, the place returns to normal. Except some enemies are still hostile for some reason.

When they spot you, they will attack harmless npc's, and the game thinks you did it.

That's what caused it for me anyway. Managed to avoid any of them seeing me and going hostile and there was no trouble upstairs.

Hope this helps.

Can confirm bug, ran into it myself not 10 minutes ago. I hadn't killed all the constructs and talked to Azo, slew him when he disliked me snitching, then proceeded to kill the rest of the constructs. Patients and guards were there, but kinda bugged, non-animated. Saw one of the constructs attacking one of the bugged guards. The guarded room with the wraiths was open and the kids were in the same state, standing there, doing nothing, not interactable. I took Demoliri's way and killed the guard nearest the stairs, then snuck out.

• Like 1

I experienced the same thing. When I had killed the first three flesh golems and ran around in the sanitarium, all guards and patients were still there, alive, as well as the flesh golems. I was also attacked by wights when I entered the large room.

The second time, without the bug, all guards were dead and there were no patients left, only hostiles. I never ran into the wights that time. I had no problems killing Azo the second time either.

I have tried playing it the same way as the first time when I experienced the bug, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. It just triggered the first time I played through.

I got it too.  

Everyone was alive after the fight with Uscgrim's minions (with the weird child looking things in the NW corner). Talked to Caedman Azo, ended up fighting him.  

I noticed Moerdred was hostile while passing.  I went upstairs after killing him as well as reloading w/o killing him, both times everyone upstairs was hostile.  

I did not get this, perhaps because I killed all the constructs before talking to Azo again?

I can confirm that the problem went away if I killed the constructs on the path out, then talked to killed Azo, and then went up to the main floor and talked to the statue (not encountering any new Constructs, obviously).  And then I could go back down and kill more constructs and it was all fine.

Edited by RTWAP

When it first happened to me, I had the same state as FutureProject, where the NPCs were there but frozen. The room with the kids they were all just standing with their arms out (kinda creepy). After I reloaded and didn't interact with Azo at all after dealing with the North Ward, I went back downstairs and the NPCs were all gone, and the kids started rushing me and attacking. There were a couple lootable bodies around the area. Then I talked to Azo and didn't provoke him into attacking me, and everything went fine. Seems like that's how the encounter is supposed to play out, so I would suggest just not picking an option that starts a fight with Azo.

Like Justinian, I convinced Azo to let me in, then killed everyone else and talked to Azo on the way back. He's asked me 'what have you done?' To which I said I had no time and that exhausted my dialogue options with him. Everything okay upstairs.

After the first fight with constructs I rested(my group was half dead), killed Azo, another construct and went up to see the people gone hostile.

The second time I didnt rest, just killed the Wichts(!?) and went up. No one was hostile.

The third time, I didnt rest, killed Azo and I think no other construct, went up to see that no one was hostile.

I started a new game. I will keep my save after the first fight and try to reproduce this issue.

Edited by Asmodean

I was an idiot and relied on just the quicksave and autosave, thinking to myself, "Well, after Fall Out: New Vegas and KotOR 2, and 3 years of development, and a beta, there's no way Obsidian waltzes into a release date with the same game-breaking issues as have derailed their games in the semi-recent past..."  The really amazing thing is that even with the freezes and bugs that were the malaise of the aforesaid games, I was still able to complete both relatively smoothly without ever losing my game.  Now, with this issue, I think I'm pretty much screwed unless a patch retroactively fixes it.  How very naive and silly of me.  All my fault.

My situation: as another poster noted, the flesh construct whacked a Sanitarium Guard before I could get to it, turning the rest of the building hostile against me.  I also killed Azo on my way to that construct, forcing a confrontation by telling him I'd turn him in regardless.  Is there no cluaconsole equivalent in this game to reset NPCs in a zone?  Again, this is entirely my fault for being so careless, but I wish there were a workaround by using a console, charming a hostile enemy, something.  I've looked at every possible file, hidden and not, and unfortunately I don't have a file history archive going to retrieve another save.  

Oh well.  Guess I'm done until there's a way to get past this without breaking questlines.  I'll be monitoring the thread diligently to see if any additional solutions crop up that are applicable to my situation in particular.  

Game remains beautiful and wonderful, and everything we waited for.

I experienced something similar. Constructs started to kill everybody and then I talked to Azo and when I went to the 1st floor everybody was hostile.

So I reloaded game, did everything the same, except before talking to Azo I killed all constructs.

And my answer to Azo was Will see.. 

then I was able to finish the quest and no one was hostile to me. you can choose to expose Azo to the warden if you want

Like Justinian, I convinced Azo to let me in, then killed everyone else and talked to Azo on the way back. He's asked me 'what have you done?' To which I said I had no time and that exhausted my dialogue options with him. Everything okay upstairs.

Yeah, same.  There were also no wichts in the closed off room to the NW.

Something similar happened to me in the quest "The Theorems of Pandgram" where the whole The Hall of Revealed Mysteries turned hostile without me noticing doing anything wrong.

Bug description here

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72881-hostile-hall-of-revealed-mysteries-not-sure-if-bug-or-not/

Workaround is to sneak before going in.

Edited by omegabet

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

My experience was gaining access to the north wing, fighting the inmates and constructs, leaving the north wing and killing the rest of the constructs. The constructs also attacked one of the guards, who wasn't aggressive with me. The common area inmates were not aggressive. The wichts were all standing upright with their arms outstretched. I went back to Azo, confronted him and killed him.

When I went upstairs, the guards, nobles and others were all aggressive. I killed a number of them and the soul in the statue would only tell me to leave. I left and suffered no other ill effects that I could see.

• Like 1