Steam Cloud Save: Confirm works between Mac and PC?

crw

Question

Doubt it works cross platform as Steam is based on app IDs. In the unlikely case that saves are compatible copy&paste might work, but Steam certainly won't recognize use from one platform if you install the same game on another...

Edited by snow0815

Typos? Aliens. Errors? Aliens!

Hi snow0815, thanks for posting, but your information is not correct. I routinely use Steam Cloud Saves to play the same game across Mac and PC. Divinity: Original Sin and The Talos Principle come to mind as a working examples. I encourage you to try this out yourself.

Obsidian Support: I have successfully used the ol' "USB Stick Transfer" method to copy my save files from PC to Mac and see that the save game files are compatible across platforms. Can you please confirm that this is an unintended bug?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi crw, thanks for letting us of the compatibility of the saves. I too expected the cloud saves to work between Mac and PC like in some other games, but until that is working, it's good to know the work around, well... works. :)

• Like 1

I've used Mac <-> PC cross cloud saves for quite a few games recently. Haven't tried with PoE, but can't imagine it would have major issues.

It certainly works for Paradox's Europa Universalis 4

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

I'm having the same issue. Cloud saves work between two different PCs, but not between a PC and a mac, even though the save files themselves are compatible as tested by the USB-drive transfer. 

Would love to have this working so I can bounce between devices! I know it CAN work because it does in other games, and the USB proves it's compatible. Just has to be implemented on their end.

• Like 1

Ya save sync doesn't work cross platform right now. I can't even copy / paste my Linux saves to my Windows machine, the windows machine will just delete the Linux made saves. I saw a dev note there is an issue with saves being identifiable cross platform right now. Sadly there are so many problems who knows when any of this will be fixed.

FYI, I started a game on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS played for a few hours, went home to my gaming PC (Windows 7 Pro) and it did not copy down the game saves. However, I just moved them with a USB stick and restarted the game in Windows. Worked fine.

A bit confused by the support FAQ post I just saw here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71830-pillars-of-eternity-support-faq/

In it, it says...  "Cloud saves supported? Yes (across the same OS - they are not compatible across OS's)"

What? We know they are compatible across OS's. We've tested it in this thread already. It works fine. 

Really hoping this gets fixed and isn't just brushed aside with a generalization that they aren't compatible... 

Any news on this, devs?

I would love to do the cross-platform mambo, as I'm frequently alternating between Win, Mac and Linux. Having this game that already supports all of those fine OSes and has save game compatibility - as demonstrated by others and verified by me - actually make cross-platform use of the Steam Cloud would be a fine thing indeed.

I am wondering if this issue has been addressed as yet? Perhaps there is another post somewhere I am missing? As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, but loves nothing better than cranking up my dedicated gaming rig when I am at home, having cross os steam cloud saves working would be awesome!

Cheers , 

Elduc

I am wondering if this issue has been addressed as yet? Perhaps there is another post somewhere I am missing? As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, but loves nothing better than cranking up my dedicated gaming rig when I am at home, having cross os steam cloud saves working would be awesome!

Cheers , 

Elduc

Would be interested in this as well. Any updates?

Cheers , 

Elduc

Would be interested in this as well. Any updates?

Yeah it's been a long time with zero updates. I've read a dev say it's not possible, but that seems crazy to me. The saves are clearly compatible. I've transferred them between devices myself with no problem. Other games use steam cloud and it works between OSX and Windows just fine. Surely it's possible.

Uninstalled Pillars from my macbook yesterday actually, because I kind of gave up on this update. Hopefully it'll actually happen sometime though. Until then, I guess I'm stuck playing it at home on my desktop.

Any updates for this issue? I've been successfully using a USB stick to "sync" save games between Windows and OS X versions, but it would be nice to see some traction on this issue. This feature was the only reason I bought the game on Steam.

Just bounced into this myself, I generally dual boot to Windows when I want to play games but I need to do work on OSX and as I'm focused solely on playing Pillars right now I figured I could sync my saves via the cloud.

Hopefully it will one day be fixed, for now its copy the files time :)