how do I get the aoe circles in combat?

Did you enable expert mode? I think that disables them.

this is one thing I do not get,, does expert mean I have to estimate the angle at which I want to throw the spell or radius of fireball? I mean i like other things, but this makes no sense...

Expert mode means more like the IE games, which didn't have AoE indicators. 

Did you enable expert mode? I think that disables them.

this is one thing I do not get,, does expert mean I have to estimate the angle at which I want to throw the spell or radius of fireball? I mean i like other things, but this makes no sense...

An expert would know where it was going and wouldn't be estimating :p

It makes plenty of sense. Expert mode disables all tooltips. The AoE markers are tooltips.

You don't need to always estimate, you need to learn and memorise the AoE patterns.

Back in BG1 and 2 there were no AoE markers and you could freely fireball your own party to death. Expert mode is supposed to recreate this style of gameplay.

I prefer the game without the AoE markers. The only thing I don't like is that when I target an enemy with a spell and that enemy moves, the spell is cast at the targets original location instead of tracking their movement.

The only thing I don't like is that when I target an enemy with a spell and that enemy moves, the spell is cast at the targets original location instead of tracking their movement.

I actually prefer this.  I would hate for the enemy to charge my party and end up with an aoe in my parties lap because it tracked him back to me.

Edited by Medwynd

Oh yes that's right for AoE spells, but its also affecting single target spells and friendly fire grimoire abilities which sucks.

I try to keep enemies locked down with a fighter before I use single target cast on them, but yeah if you are trying to alpha strike them from range before they get to your melee guys it can be a pain.