Second Key for those stuck waiting on a physical copy from a tier with a digital copy as well?

There was a topic already posted by someone who I'm guessing was granted a key, 

I'm reposting a thread because that one is now marked as Solved and there's still so many people (myself included) who are having the same issue due to having planned to play along with a friend or significant other and the shipping delay has really messed that up.

Before anyone says that would be like having a 3rd copy, they already said those with physical rewards would get a digital version so they would not miss out on playing at Launch and the disc is DRM free so as many computers can have it anyway. The only person getting hurt are those waiting for their copy when they purposely bought two to, in most cases, play with someone. 

I don't know how many other tiers have this same issue--but most seem to have the $65 tier (myself included) while others have higher ones. 

But yes, if you have a tier that includes at least one digital copy and one physical copy, PLEASE post here if you only have one code in your portal (for the digital version)!

Hopefully everyone who was planning to play with someone will be able to play with them already :(

Edited by mizunosakura

Well, for what it's worth, to anyone in this predicament, you could always generate a GOG key instead, and just that installer for both PCs for now. *shrug*

I realize that's beside the point, though. Just thought maybe it'd be helpful.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Well, for what it's worth, to anyone in this predicament, you could always generate a GOG key instead, and just that installer for both PCs for now. *shrug*

I realize that's beside the point, though. Just thought maybe it'd be helpful.

Unfortunately, before I even realized this was an issue, I had already hit Steam as I had no idea what GOG was, but we both use Steam so :/ 

I'm also seen people mention they wanted to use Steam plus the Family Sharing doesn't work as you can't play at the same time with it. 

Yeah, I mean, it's understandable, what with the game being playable for the past 10 hours or so, that many keys have already been claimed for one service or the other. I just wanted to mention it, in case anyone hadn't claimed them yet, as a temporary workaround possibility.

I don't mind waiting for my disc, but I'd still like to know if we're supposed to get disc-replacement keys or not. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I've stopped playing for the moment so that I don't get too far ahead in the plot where she wont be able to catch up and we can still talk about the game.  I may just have to wait till the retail copy shows up to go back to playing it.

I claimed a steam key last night for the preload to happen to be all set to play and assumed they would probably have this stuff all straightened out at release time since they weren't putting the other rewards like the strategy guide, etc up until the game actually launched.

Edited by Medwynd

I've stopped playing for the moment so that I don't get too far ahead in the plot where she wont be able to catch up and we can still talk about the game.  I may just have to wait till the retail copy shows up to go back to playing it.

I claimed a steam key last night for the preload to happen to be all set to play and assumed they would probably have this stuff all straightened out at release time since they weren't putting the other rewards like the strategy guide, etc up until the game actually launched.

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat--I made my character and finished the dialogue/cutscene then just saved and quit until we get his copy :( 

This may be a long shot but I have heard some games on steam that are not integrated with drm can be run separate of the Steamclient. Would you be able to copy files over to the other computer? Perhaps someone can extrapolate on that. I have a feeling this game may qualify.

I backed at the $500 tier and got only one digital key. Not a huge deal for me, as I'm the only one going to be playing in this household though. But Lephys' suggestion of generating a GOG key for those that planned on playing with friends is a good one (assuming they check this thread before generating the key).

You can use Steam's Family Sharing and share your libraries with each other.  Your wife can play games in your library and you can play games in hers, just not at the same time.

Let's all fire up a voice-chat server and have a Disc-Waiting party. We can play Jennifer Lopez's "Waiting for Tonight," only we'll change "tonight" to "our DISCS!... oh-WAH-OHHH-OHHHHHHH!... When YOU will be here in my drive! Waiting for out DISCS!... OHH-OHHH-OHHH-ohhhhh!..."

:)

Thats why I always go with GoG.

You should have though about playing at the same time befor you went without steam.

Well... the main thing is, there was confusion over how many keys they would get. If there were going to be 2 keys, going with GoG wouldn't really solve anything, because there wouldn't be a problem.

Thats why I always go with GoG.

You should have though about playing at the same time befor you went without steam.

Buying one key on GoG does not license you to play the game on as many machines as you want for as many people as you want at the same time, they just don't stop you from doing that.

You can use Steam's Family Sharing and share your libraries with each other.  Your wife can play games in your library and you can play games in hers, just not at the same time.

Kind of takes some of the fun out of playing together :)

Not only that, but not everyone even knows what GoG is. I never even heard of it until I saw it as an option and I went with what I knew. I only learned after reading some posts here as nobody I knew had ever heard or used it. 

Finally, most people didn't even expect this to be an issue in the first place. :/

It's possible that the game launches without steam - I know lots of paradox games behave that way - if you're on a network you could try sharing it and booting without steam.  Sadly steam must be open it appears. 

Edited by Gallenger

Buying one key on GoG does not license you to play the game on as many machines as you want for as many people as you want at the same time, they just don't stop you from doing that.

This is quite true. But, in this particular instance, the second installation of the same key would merely be a "proxy" installation, until the physical disc arrived. Up-front, you already know that you've bought and paid-for two DRM-free licenses (if you redeem the digital key through GoG), so installing the game twice isn't logistically using more licenses than you have.

But, yes, just the general practice of "I have a game on GoG, I'll just give it to everyone" isn't good. But, it's not really black and white. I mean, my friend let me borrow a DRM-installer of a game to try out, because a demo wasn't available, and he thought I'd like it. I DID like it, so I bought the game. If I hadn't gotten to play it, I wouldn't have bought the game. So... *shrug*

Annnnywho. Sorry, got tangentially carried away. I mainly just wanted to clarify that, when I, personally, recommended using a GoG key and installing it twice, I was not condoning piracy, for what it's worth. 8P

There's something I'm confused about in this whole situation, I backed for the physical collectors editon and only got one key. The collectors edition includes all the previous digital tiers including the $80 reward tier which includes two digital keys, so shouldn't I be getting 3 keys in total if someone who backed $65 acquired two keys?

There is a way to get this to work with steam although it would obviously be better if Obsidian made an extra copy available to avoid doing this.

If you log into steam with your account on your SO's computer and install the game then set steam to offline mode it should work fine on both computers. This is obviously not an ideal solution at all but it will work in the interim until you either get your physical copy or Obsidian make another key available to you.

• Like 1

Kind of takes some of the fun out of playing together :)

Put the Steam client that has PoE in offline mode.  This frees up that library for family sharing and you can both play it.