Blurry background / backdrop?

Jumble Murdersense

Question

Hey, is this how the game is suppose to look? This is fully zoomed in.

8V254wx.png

The thing is; it gets worse if I zoom out! I'm running at native res (1920x1080), all I've tried to so far is to lower res and change it back to 1920x1080; no change. Is there some kind of post processing blur going on thats gone crazy?

edit: This is zoomed out. Looks blurrier than the screenshots from roughly the same zoom I can see on the game's steam page.

Specs:

AMD 7870 (13.12 drivers)

i5 2500k

Win8

Edited by Jumble Murdersense

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

23 answers to this question

The background blur bug could be related to this bug I reported in the beta: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70954-480-background-sharpness-filter-bug/?hl=sharpness

For character portraits - the game uses NGUI, so if you're using a resolution other than 1080p there's probably a chance it will down or upscale it horribly. Reported that issue in the beta too although don't think they are able to fix it.

Hm. That does seem similar. I'll try some area transitions and see what happens.

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

Did one area transition and it's still blurry. Restarting game didn't fix it. Zooming in/out doesnt make it snap out of it. In fact fully zoomed out looks the worst.

Is the a console command to disable post processing perhaps?

Not that I know of man. I only had this issue when exiting from a building in the beta, but I was able to correct it using either area transition or zoom. Does it still happen if you go inside the Ruins ?

Yep. Looks like I'll be playing PoE: Diablo 1 Edition for awhile.

Can't edit my original post, but I linked the wrong image for the zoomed out one. Here's what it looks like zoomed out:

sVBjTYm.jpg

I also went to http://www.obsidian.net/support , which says paradox is doing support for PoE. I went to submit a ticket but it asks for a Paradox Account, which I don't have.

Is there any obsidian email for technical support or do I have to just keep bumping this thread?

EDIT: TEMPORARY SOLUTION (AND NOTE TO DEVS):

Press tilde ~, press enter and type:

msaa 0

(enter)

to disable anti aliasing. This fixes the blur. So, something is ****ed with MSAA in some scenarios. MSAA 2/4/8 is all blurred. I wonder if I can force AA in CCC.. actually no, if this is using Deferred rendering that won't work...

Unfortunately this doesnt seem to save between levels, so every trasition you have to enter it again. Is there a config file somewhere you can permanently edit these values?

bump

Does disabling MSAA fix it (temporarily) for you too?

That won't work if it uses deferred rendering; it might use forward though, I've no idea. Anyway the real problem here (besides MSAA being ****ed) is having to re-disable it every load/area change.

Hi,

i have the same problem with my game too. The background looks blurry and the char models look not "sharp". 

I am open to any help. 

System:

Phenom 1090 xt

Radeon 280x

8 MB Ram

SSD

Steam Path installed.

MY SOLUTION!   ATI CARDS !

I had on my ATI card supersampling enabled,   i turned this to adaptive multisampling or normal multi, that does fixed the blur for me !

And thismust be the solutionfor everyone also!

Yeah dude, that works. Hooray! I didn't think supersampling was enabled at all since I'd deliberately put the other settings at 'use application settings' rather than override. Either way, that fix works and I no longer have to disable MSAA at every level change.

• Like 1

MY SOLUTION!   ATI CARDS !

I had on my ATI card supersampling enabled,   i turned this to adaptive multisampling or normal multi, that does fixed the blur for me !

And thismust be the solutionfor everyone also!

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't enabled supersampling actually, but creating a profile in ATI Catalyst Control Center and setting it on Multisampling (or Adaptive Multisampling) fixed it for me. It looked rather awful before that - but now it's sharp.

• Like 1

Hi there!

My issue is also with blurr, however with different one. After leaving some graphic event (I don't know how to call it, I mean the mini paragraph "quests"), this happened: http://i.imgur.com/615fZ9H.jpg

I got stuck with blurred edges, restarting the game or trying to load different save file doesn't help. Come on, dont tell me it's gonna be there for the rest of the game.