Started on path of the damned because I'm a big, giant idiot. The whole only 2 camp supplies with enemies doing more dmg is an awkward multiplier of constant degenrative gameplay. It feels like going back to BG with out knowing any of the newb quest to get those few extra lvls required to get past all the crap you can fly through on normal.

Think I need to restart on hard, just due to the camping supply issue. One other irritation in relation to that? If your full on camping supplies and accidently 'pick' some up? They disappear! Gone, you apparently throw them into the void instead of putting them in your stash or just, i dunno... leaving them where they where? So careful folks, don't pick up camping supplies if your already full...

...stupid shadow wraith, confusin' whispy mother f... >_<

• Like 3

Def Con: kills owls dead

That does seem odd, Adhin. You'd think, at the very least, you should be able to stash those supplies, like you said. Then, you could "resupply" (literally) later without having to buy some. *shrug* Either that, or you should just get some kind of "NOPE" message, and have them remain there upon their groundy, groundy bed, forever.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hard also has 2 camping supply limit. Normal gives you 4.

And I agree about it being odd that if you have the cap on camping supplies and pick one up it just disappears...would be better if you were not able to loot it and it stayed inside the container.

• Like 1

Huh. On Hard, I had precisely that occur in the first set of ruins. Two camping supplies to collect but I was only able to pick up one to add to my supplies (maxing out at two in total) and the other remained in the "loot this thing" container.

Maybe there's a bug? *notsure*

You'd think Hard would give you 3. Then, Path of the Damned could give you 2. *shrug*. But, I realize it's not really a proper difficulty setting, but rather a different "mode," sort of. So... 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I believe there are already a number of excellent mods by Sensuki/Bester (including infinite camping supplies). They'll just probably have to adapt some of them to the release-build before they're usable, as they were previously made for the beta builds. Who knows... maybe some of the stuff's so similar they didn't have to change anything. *Shrug*

I am loving the game, but damn those teleporting shadows when i decided to check one ruin.... OMG, well and there was a certain bear I wanted to solo test my mettle at lvl 2... my ass is still sore from that spanking

This. I even tried him on my level 3 fighter and still got my ass handed to me. Love it.

My main focus tonight will be killing that damn bear.

I am loving the game, but damn those teleporting shadows when i decided to check one ruin.... OMG, well and there was a certain bear I wanted to solo test my mettle at lvl 2... my ass is still sore from that spanking

This. I even tried him on my level 3 fighter and still got my ass handed to me. Love it.

My main focus tonight will be killing that damn bear.

It's so much fun and I'm still learning the synergies, combos, and placements -- but I think I'll need a 2nd tank for the rear because of those shadows! The monsters outrun me also, so I really need to work on my formation and not rely on counter-ambushes.

Also, yeah. I may return for that bear soon.

I got to say that PotD, so far, looks pretty playable. It's painfully hard, but it's never been unfair (as far as I played). Obviously you aren't meant to go into the bears cave or wolf den with just your main character alone. If you accept that sometimes you have to leave something out until you're stronger (which is awesome, btw! I'm so sick of linear streamlined casual games scaling everything to absurdity), PotD is pretty damn playable.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I imagine someone will make a mod to allow more camping supplies for higher difficulty levels.

that kinda ruins the purpose.

Not really. Main point of hard mode is that enemies are not at a disadvantage compared to your party. No reduction in damage from enemies and tougher opponents.

I just got into a fight with a paladin, a priest, and two archers--it was a bitch because the priest buffed all of them while I was burning down the archers and keeping the paladin away from my casters, and then he started healing and buffing the paladin! I had to spend a ton of per-rest abilities to take him down--and then still had the paladin just barely hanging in there to deal with.

Wow. I LOVE THIS GAME!

I got to say that PotD, so far, looks pretty playable. It's painfully hard, but it's never been unfair (as far as I played). Obviously you aren't meant to go into the bears cave or wolf den with just your main character alone. If you accept that sometimes you have to leave something out until you're stronger (which is awesome, btw! I'm so sick of linear streamlined casual games scaling everything to absurdity), PotD is pretty damn playable.

I agree in principle, but not in practice. I started on PotD, because real men put the slider to the right. Enjoyed the difficulty for the first few hours, but when I found myself reloading for 90min just to kill a bunch of boars I realized the RNG was in control and I wasn't having fun anymore. Restarted in Hard.

I think PotD is a great feature and I'll be sliding all the way to the right for my second play through. For now I want to role-play and enjoy the (so-far awesome) story.

I agree in principle, but not in practice. I started on PotD, because real men put the slider to the right. Enjoyed the difficulty for the first few hours, but when I found myself reloading for 90min just to kill a bunch of boars I realized the RNG was in control and I wasn't having fun anymore. Restarted in Hard.

I think PotD is a great feature and I'll be sliding all the way to the right for my second play through. For now I want to role-play and enjoy the (so-far awesome) story.

I stopped at that same point. You really have to master your knowledge of the core mechanics to pull of PoTD and min/max like crazy. The hardest part of PoTD wasn't the number of enemies or the limited supplies, it was the fact that you miss every one of your attacks. So if you're strategy is to CC a certain enemy...nope, it misses half the time.

You need a well-rounded group and a lot of Min/maxing for PotD.

For my PotD playthrough, I selected a monk as my PC (equipped in heavy armor and shield). This is perfect because the monk class is highly reactive and being damaged increases your DPS. So the increased difficulty of PotD actually also boosts the effectiveness of my PC.

Pushed Perception to 17-18, added some low Resolve (12-13), then distributed the last points to Con, Dex and Int for dialogue choices. Reduced Might to 8, simply because it's meant as a pure tank build anyway and heavy wound stacking will take care of most of my DPS needs.

I had no problem getting through the opening dungeon or anything to gilded vale. Just had to reload once (damn spiders!).

When getting to the first Inn, hire at least one or two custom adventurers, as the named NPCs have only sub-par attribute and skill selections. I selected a priest and a druid.

Good weapons of choice for the PC are anything that gives +accuracy or the +deflection hatchet. I almost take no damage at all with a hatchet equipped.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Yeah that's the thing, Easy, Normal and Hard are altering encounters. Each one has it's own encounter setup, more or less. PotD literally states it has 'all encounters from easy normal and hard' (so you get A LOT of enemies) and they have 50% increase to vast majority of there stats. They have 50% more health, do 50% more dmg, have an 50% increase in deflection, reflex, fort and will rolls, have more DR more everything. So not only on an individual level are you just getting screwed but your facing off more then you would in hard lol.

Honestly that's the only reason I feel the camping supplies thing was turning into crap land of crappyness. Outside of the whole disintegrating supplies if you pick up when your full. I might of tried to say with it if I was able to change my portrait once my char was made but considering theres no option for that for some silly reason (herro, every infinity engine game pree?) I'm remaking on hard heh.

I'll probably do a PotD run again later when I'm more used to keeping up with combat. I feel like if they rested the difficulty instead of just blanketting 'do all the things, that'll be hard lols' they play the combat in slow mo and know what to use for all the things. Which I do not...

As an aside, PotD feels like Baldur's Gate, to me, on stupid difficulty - you know, +50% all stats so all the basic math mechanics no longer work as intended instead of adjusting things like a DM would (well a good DM). A lot of that has to do with BG requiring you know all the newb quests and where they are to lvl up enough so your not wildly overleveled for just main story progress. That's kinda what I was doing, blindly going toward the keep to get my keep so companions can loiter there... and that was a BAD IDEA.

Def Con: kills owls dead

Seriously PotD is meant for those completionists that know all the underlying gameplay mechanics AND take their time to do all the quests. If you started your game without feeling confident enough about this and then rushed story content, then it's your own fault.